Chapala.com Webboard

Uber targets senior market

CHILLIN

This is a great idea to help seniors, and still make a profit. The first trials are in the U.S.A.. All seniors will have to learn smart phones to use the service. The smart phones are a very good idea for seniors anyways, the dial numbers are large, has GPS so you can track where you are, and an app on how to get back.  There also apps where you can track where someone is at all times - with permission of course.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/uber-proposes-mobility-services-assist-215541597.html

30 minutes ago, gringal said:

Interesting idea.  However, smart phones are very expensive (for less affluent seniors) compared to plain cell phones. Is there really a reason why they'd "have to learn smart phones"?  Maybe I'm missing something.

You are missing that both Telcel and Walmart are selling very powerful smart phones for around 1,000 pesos. One manufacturer is going to offer a stripped down smart phone for $37 U.S. The uber app is free, and if you use their service, they will give you a fixed price, and send a picture of the driver. An hour session with a volunteer at LCS should cover everything. The new phones are replacing laptops, all the computer you will ever need (unless you are a Physics Professor.

1 minute ago, CHILLIN said:

You are missing that both Telcel and Walmart are selling very powerful smart phones for around 1,000 pesos. One manufacturer is going to offer a stripped down smart phone for $37 U.S.

Last I heard, a friend was plunking down over $100 US for one. Another paid $300. Than may not be a significant amount for some, but for others, that's a lot of groceries, and an unnecessary expense unless there's a practical reason for it. Okay, so I'm a Luddite.:rolleyes:

You have heard of the Pokemon Go game, where you walk around to GPS points, and use your phone to pickup tokens. Well there is another app, which requires an additional purchase of a key chain type device, the phone will point you to your misplaced keys, eye glasses, husbands,  etc - Pokeman Go for seniors!

11 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You are missing that both Telcel and Walmart are selling very powerful smart phones for around 1,000 pesos. One manufacturer is going to offer a stripped down smart phone for $37 U.S. The uber app is free, and if you use their service, they will give you a fixed price, and send a picture of the driver. An hour session with a volunteer at LCS should cover everything. The new phones are replacing laptops, all the computer you will ever need (unless you are a Physics Professor.

Something with tiny screen letters that I have to try to hit correctly to type a out an email? No way that will ever replace my laptop.

im w/mudgirl & gringal, its another UNnecessary bs item. besides the expense why bother w/it? why spend an hour of your life on this? need a ride? call a taxie driver you like. why make a corp rich? i like my laptop. i can watch videos, listen to the radio & read. i dont own a cell phone either. 

smart phones are not expensive if you look for promotions and they sure come in handy. I just got back from a 2 week trip abroad and I was happy not to carry a laptop or a tablet and my phone was great for e-mails. It is maddening when you start using it especially if you need to type in various languages but after a while all the words that are often used are in the memory and the auto- correct becomes manageable.. I particularly like whatsapp and communicate that way all the time with Mexican friends..

i havnt traveled w/a laptop in years. never owned a tablet. dont really know what you are talking about. the information seems superfilous. i can an see the convenience of the smart phone to email someone. no need for me in mex to have these items.

8 minutes ago, bmh said:

Well not everyone stay put in Mexico and the smart phone came in very handy on my last trip.

Since my trips occur at very rare intervals, it's a waste of money and learning curve for me. (One trip in twelve years)  I imagine I'm not alone.;)  My dumb (and cheap phone with cheap plan) is sufficient unto the day, along with my home computer.  I like keeping life as simple as possible.  But, whatever works for whoever..........

yes it is whatever works for whomever.  I  move around a lot and do not like to carry the laptop so the phone makes it it easy to bank online, take pictures , answer simple e-mail , communicate via whatsapp  it all depends on your lifestyle.

In Paris my nephews have the uber application as well as the electric car rental app and when they want to go from point A to point B they check their phone and decide if they will drive or take uber..life is changing quickly from what we knew just a few years ago and we can chose to keep on going as we have been or go with the new programs..I take the subway..

Yes, now most of the people you see walking around anywhere have a smart phone glued to their hand. If it was just used as a tool that makes life easier, fine. But it has become a lifestyle in and of itself. People are addicted to constantly looking at their smart phone screens, smiling and laughing at what is on there, instead of interacting with their fellow human beings. They act like if they don´t read every message they get instantly or answer it instantly, their world will come crashing down. I see my 30 something daughter supposedly having a get together with her friends and they are all on their devices. The whole thing is really sad and depressing.

And everyone says how all these apps are free- they´re not free because it uses up your data allowance, which you pay for, to download them.

Good observations all. The big family debate these days is how old should you be to have your first smart phone/tablet. I saw a Mexican girl the other day, couldn't be more than 7 or 8, twiddling on her phone. The addiction starts with those "friends and family plans" - unlimited phone and text access for up to a group of five. Saying that, I think this a very important technology for seniors to learn and adopt. No more "I've fallen and can't getup" or Norman in "Golden Pond" movie, "lost in the woods" moments. A smart phone can become an addiction, if you let it, or a very useful lifeline when you need it.

Google "apps for emergency services" you will see many suggestions, most of them free. Carry the phone in a hard case, with a loop around you neck. The hard case is prevent damaging your phone in a fall.

The other thing Uber does is enable ride sharing, these will most likely all be strangers but who does not like to save a lot of money. The real mind blowers will be the introduction of driverless vehicles, delivering a product at less cost than public transportation.

I have several times now had to ask a salesperson who is busy on their smart phone and seemingly oblivious of customers, whether the management is paying them to play on their cell phones or attend to customers, at which point they seem to emerge blinking from some time warp and actually do their jobs.

The point is:  Some seniors cannot see well enough to read anything on a cellphone screen, or even find the correct buttons on any small phone, or other device. Unfortunately, I am one of those who must use a very large computer screen, cannot find stuff in a refrigerator and can no longer drive. When at home alone, we are pretty much limited to calling for help from a neighbor or emergency service if we can make it to a phone of normal size. I know that there are a few other options, but...........

Archived