Chapala.com Webboard

Bus to the Beach

hensley

Do you know the cost of the bus to the beach and you have to go to the new bus station right? Our friend wants to go to Barre de Navidad.
Any other advice for her? Or any links that would help her.

Various lines.... various prices (suspect she does not have Inapam card, which gives 50% discount with a few seats per bus).

Also various routes -- some on better highways than other. Check out Primera Plus, ETN, and other bus web sites for timetables and routes.  I went to Barra a few years ago and picked departure based on using toll road as opposed to twisty, windy old road -- faster and more comfy.

I would have to say that the choice of beach here depends on your likes and dislikes. Barra and Melaque, to me, are far superior than Manzanillo. Why? Because they are small and quiet, with no city trappings, and cost much less for food and lodging, with easy access to some great beaches. Manzanillo may be prettier on the main boulevrrd, and their "all inclusive" hotels very nice and access to the nicest beaches is almost impossible. Plus the tides are too strong at some of the hotels to even get into the water. For me nothing beats the quiet of the other two towns. And for fancy hotels, La Alondre in Barra is just fine.

1 hour ago, Bontekoe said:

The beaches in Barra de Nvidad and Melaque are non existent...lots of rocks!

Guess you haven't been there recently. While there are mountainous boulders and pieces of broken building on the south end of the Barra beach, the rest of it from the taxi stand in the middle all the way to Melaque is just fine. And Melaque's full length of beaches has never had a problem. A short drive up the highway north brings you even nicer beaches. Here are current photos of Melaque and Barra looking south from the taxi stand.

Looks pretty good to me...

melaque.jpg

Barra.jpg

It's VERY easy- I took it the other direction- from Barra to Ajijic with no problems.  I'd imagine it's just as easy the other direction.  There were only buses from Melaque to Guadalajara- I took Primera Plus.  Very comfortable.  If traveling light, they could take the Chapala bus into Guadalajara, then a cheap taxi ride over to the "new station"- super easy.  When they arrive in Melaque, it will be a very cheap taxi ride over to Barra- it's, like, a 5 minute ride.  

Thought Id mention- on their way back- Primera Plus stops at that stop in the middle of the freeway that is a major bus stop.  They could technically get out there and take the Chapala bus directly back to Chapala.  Email/ask me for more details- I'm happy to help.  I got pretty bus-savvy while I was in Chapala.  I only took buses- rarely taxis....

Btw- Barra is a really wonderful town and I liked it much better than Melaque (tho Melaque is a nice lil day trip). There IS a beach- a beautiful one- but also a steep one so you can't really just go running out into the waves but you can sit on the beach and watch sunsets while drinking coconut water out of a coconut from the guy on the beach.  Tell them to be sure to go to Bananas for breakfast (CHEAP overlooking the ocean) and Marlenas for dinner (again, overlooking the ocean) and my friend's place: Restaurant at Barra Galeria de Arte.  And take a lil boat trip in the channel by the grand hotel there.  Now I miss that place!  (spent 3 weeks housesitting here)   Sorry for the long post!! And I think I know who you are--- so hello!! <3

Archived