Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to McAllen

sue

• T  The following are the directions someone was kind enough to give me to drive from here to McAllen Texas in 2014  There have been a lot of changes around the airport since than are these directions still the ones I should follow.???   Much thanks for your help

From here, go towards the airport.  Immediately past the airport exit, there is an exit marked for Zapotlanejo.  Take it.  You will go about 6.8 miles and see another, overhead sign to exit right towards Zapotlanejo.  The exit is a little past the sign and marked again with a small green and white sign by the side of the road.  The exit is just past that big overhead retorno.  Take it, go to the end, turn right towards Zapotlanejo.  That puts you up on the bypass road which will eventually put you on the cuota to Lagos de Moreno.  This bypasses that awful ess at the end of Chapala highway where you get on Lazaro Cardenas. 

No.  It is simpler now to keep going on the ring road to the "Mexico" exit which puts you directly on the cuota headed north.  This exit is easy to see as you come down a long hill and see the Mexico 80 toll road in front of you and the right hand exit clearly marked to Mexico.

Or you can use the new but incomplete macrolibremiento which is still not complete at the end where it is supposed to connect to Mexico 80.  Using it results in a diversion onto Ruta 15 at the end and paying double tolls.  You have to double back to get going in the right direction north.

I think you quoted my 2014 directions which I have updated.  I recommend exiting at Pharr rather than McAllen because there is a direct toll bypass to the Pharr bridge which makes it unnecessary to go into Reynosa, a place that has many crime problems and very predatory transitos.  Once you go around Lagos de Moreno on the very poor ring road there it is not necessary to go through another town of any size until you reach the bridge unless you decide to drive the route through San Luis Potosi.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the updated full instructions.  Note that coming up in the new year is yet another major improvement which provides a direct ring road around the west side of San Luis Potosi.  For now, you either drive straight through town or take the poor quality toll road to the south and connect with the newer one on the east side of town. 

Archived