Chapala.com Webboard

Wanting to move to Ajijic. ALOT of questions,please help!

Hello to all! I am new here, and am eager to get as many answers as possible AS SOON AS POSSIBLE :D

We are younger fam with kids,trying to leave U.S.  I need to know what the limit amount is for furniture, kitchen items, main household?? What is worth taking, what to leave behind

If we have a pull trailer, does that have to have a license and does the actual trailer count as part of the limit?

How much money in cash is allowed? (per person please)

Best route to enter Mexico?

*******ANYONE KNOW OF A BIGGER HOME FOR RENT/ RENT TO OWN??? looking for long term, not wanting to move every year. Lease to own preferred*******(ajijic area)

We are family that are looking to start new down there, don't have piles of cash, and wont be blessed to have home up there paid in full, so need help finding something affordable PLEASE. Can discuss deposit, secure rent...

I plan on providing care/assisted living, once my status turns permanent(married to Mexican citizen, and born to Guadalajara native).  I am certified CNA, and love to help others. My hope is to find a couple who is contemplating a nursing home, yet doesn't want to leave Ajijic. I want to provide more personal one on one care, make the person feel like family vs just a number!. I am bilingual, gentle, respectful, patient and reliable. I respect you as a human with feelings, vs look at you as dollar symbols...Experienced and have refs.

My hubby is looking to start a small business to keep himself busy. what in all is needed for that?

Any groups/ clubs for kids ages 7 to 17? (expat kids)

********Please,please.....crime? kidnappings? Is it safe???***************

We want so much to start our new adventure, but are a pinch scared/ insecure. Any help, tips, would greatly and eternal be appreciated!!! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Join the facebook page Mexpat Lake Chapala; lots of answers to be found; search this web board and insidelakeside.com too for answers.

Since you are in the US go to the nearest MX consulate to obtain answers regarding documentation to enter MX as a spouse of a mx national. They may know about monetary limits too.

Rules for pulling/licensing a trailer would apply to where ever you are coming from. I don't think there is a value limit on household goods.

You can get most anything here but lots of us brought down tools, pots/pans (particularly if they are good quality), electronics (computers, TVs, etc).

Most of the real estate agencies have a rental division so you can check there for what's available and prices. Sometimes you can get a better price if you want a really long (>1 yr) term.

Yes it's safe, we still get crime but you pay attention and don't take unnecessary risks, much like anywhere in the US.

You will get cheaper rentals if you rent directly from Mexicans and live in the Mexican neighborhoods. Since you are familiar with the culture and bilingual you shouldn't have a problem. You will pay ALOT  more if you go through real estate companies.

People will tell you where they've gone, they'll tell you where to go

But 'til you get there yourself, you never really know.

Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm.....

Joni Mitchell- from "Amelia"- Hejira album

take a listen 

It might be more helpful to answer your questions if you were to be as specific as to what you are looking for in a life here, rather than NOB, for you and your children. You do realize that Mexico is not for everyone, so leave yourself room to return, just in case your family does not fit in here.

A big consideration for a family is the quality of education available at Lakeside... I would agree with Oasiscloud that a fact finding trip would be most beneficial in answering your questions before you uproot and move....You have many things going for you, especially being bi lingual and knowing the culture.  While everyone will agree that the weather here is near perfect, there are other factors that will make or break one's stay.. A month with boots on the ground would give you the knowledge to make this a positive move.... 

If you have a US registered car and trailer, they will be considered as a single unit for temporary importation.  Check with Aduana for details on that topic for a Mexican citizen with a US green card. Otherwise, you will have to have it all in your name as a US citizen.  Note that you may have to remove the car and trailer from Mexico before you change to Residente Permanente, if they cannot be permanently imported, which is very expensive.  You have a lot of details to check. However, the consulate will not be likely to have the information you need regarding the car & trailer; an Aduana/Banjercito concern.  The rules for Mexican citizens with legal US residence are different than they are for expats, so we forum members are probably not good sources of information in this instance.

You may wish to consult with Spencer at Chapala Law; a very reliable source for assistance.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you have a US registered car and trailer, they will be considered as a single unit for temporary importation.  Check with Aduana for details on that topic for a Mexican citizen with a US green card. Otherwise, you will have to have it all in your name as a US citizen.  Note that you may have to remove the car and trailer from Mexico before you change to Residente Permanente, if they cannot be permanently imported, which is very expensive.  You have a lot of details to check. However, the consulate will not be likely to have the information you need regarding the car & trailer; an Aduana/Banjercito concern.  The rules for Mexican citizens with legal US residence are different than they are for expats, so we forum members are probably not good sources of information in this instance.

You may wish to consult with Spencer at Chapala Law; a very reliable source for assistance.

Permanent Residents of the US that are Mexican citizens get TIPs that are valid for 1 year with multiple exits and entrances. They have to somehow prove the vehicle was only inside Mexico outside of the Free Zone for 180 days in that 12 month period to follow the rules. This keeps them from moving back to Mexico with a foreign plated vehicle permanently without importing it if it is able to be imported but gives them 12 months to come and go as they please.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles_ingles.aspx

21 hours ago, virgogirl said:

People will tell you where they've gone, they'll tell you where to go

But 'til you get there yourself, you never really know.

Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm.....

Joni Mitchell- from "Amelia"- Hejira album

take a listen 

My favorite song. We must be soul mates.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, chapalaobsession said:

furniture, kitchen items, main household?? What is worth taking, what to leave behind

Furniture easily available and easily can be custom-made but can be expensive.  Most rentals here are for furnished houses. That would take care of everything a house would need. If you have them, bring good quality brass screws and wood working equipment.

How much money in cash is allowed? (per person please)

Best if you can maintain an acct in US bank, then just take out pesos here when needed. This is the best exchange rate too. The peso is devaluing so you`ll save money by keeping it in the US then exchanging by ATM for more and more pesos to the dollar. At least for a while.

Best route to enter Mexico?

Most people think coming across through Nogales is the safest. Going straight down thru Tijuana then across to Sinaloa then down is not  as safe.

*******ANYONE KNOW OF A BIGGER HOME FOR RENT/ RENT TO OWN??? looking for long term, not wanting to move every year. Lease to own preferred*******(ajijic area)

Ajijic is the most expensive place to rent and live in the entire area.  As some have said, go to the Mexican places - Chapala, San Juan, Jocotepec, San Pedro -  for more inexpensive rentals. No rent to own here. Chapala is your best bet.  Not something most expats know about because they know next to nothing about housing in Chapala, houses are available from 2,000 pesos/month but you have to walk around and talk to people to find these. They`re not listed in an expat rental agency. It`s word of mouth like most things here, especially in the traditional culture.   You can start by stopping by the American Legion in Chapala and talking to the friendly folks there about rentals they may know about. Across the street lives a man, Rony, who sells (10 pesos) a sheet about rentals that are available.  Get settled, then start looking for a more perfect place later.

I plan on providing care/assisted living, once my status turns permanent(married to Mexican citizen, and born to Guadalajara native).  I am certified CNA, and love to help others. My hope is to find a couple who is contemplating a nursing home, yet doesn't want to leave Ajijic. I want to provide more personal one on one care, make the person feel like family vs just a number!. I am bilingual, gentle, respectful, patient and reliable. I respect you as a human with feelings, vs look at you as dollar symbols...Experienced and have refs.

This is a very good skill to have here. Although, it`s a bit dicey to find work since it is illegal (technically) to hire expats over local people. Still, something can be worked out.  Others may have more info about this.

Any groups/ clubs for kids ages 7 to 17? (expat kids)

Not many expat kids here of that age, if any.  Your kids would have to get in with the local kids. Do they speak Spanish? (Start now!)

********Please,please.....crime? kidnappings? Is it safe???***************

There was trouble here 4 1/2 years ago when a gang was establishing territory. It was unspeakably horrible. But that kind of thing has not happened since. There have been no kidnappings in the Chapala area I am aware of.  Crime, mostly non-personal, yes. Thievery from wealthier homes. One has to keep in mind that most expats represent amazing wealth among some quite desperate poverty.  The less you have, the less target you are. I`m not much of a target ;)That said, I and people I know feel perfectly safe. Women walking around by themselves late at night, probably not a good idea. But that of course is true in most large US cities as well.

We want so much to start our new adventure, but are a pinch scared/ insecure. Any help, tips, would greatly and eternal be appreciated!!! 

I still feel like I`m on an adventure and that I live in a kind of Paradise even after 4.5 years.  The weather, the beautiful friendly Mexican people, the beautiful ancient Mexican culture, the lake, the mountains, the mostly clean food and air, inexpensive living including health care, largest English language library in  Central America, oh, so much  more.  Come, live, and more and more you`ll realize that the culture here is a human-based culture, unlike the techo/corporate culture NOB which I would not in my wildest imaginings ever return to.  I am home after 63 years.  You can easily find helpful friendly expats who will guide and help you here. Just ask. When you come, go to the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic. It is an organization dedicated to helping expats.  There are always a lot of expats around the beautiful gardens. The info and help table is a few steps from the entrance.  Step over to the cafe on the grounds, sit, have some coffee, talk with some friendly people about anything you have on our mind (we`ve all been there). Relax, you`ll be just fine in no time and never, ever want to leave.

I would think that someone born to a Mexican citizen and married to one should not have a lot of problems getting citizenship if they don't already have it.  I suggest you correspond with Spencer McMullen who is a visa and immigration expert and is on this board as "intercasa."

The advice you've been given about where the less expensive rentals are is good.  Riberas is a good location between Chapala and Ajijic.  The center of expat life here is Ajijic and it is the most expensive as noted above.

You didn't indicate from which direction you are coming, which affects the best place to enter Mexico.  Most people use Laredo, TX, we use Pharr TX because it is very simple and much cheaper on tolls.  We drive here in a day from Pharr.

Think about making an exploratory trip here first using tourist visas before making the actual move down.

a lot of people are suggesting an exploratory trip,but i sense that these folks don't have that flexibility in their resources. we have lived here full time for 16 years and have only regreted not doing it sooner--except when its too noisy at certain times of year. i say, come. make your move, take your chances, there will be support when you get here. there are more young people moving here every year, but we are not segregated by age, many of us have friends both old and young. let us know when you are arriving....

4 hours ago, the walkers said:

a lot of people are suggesting an exploratory trip,but i sense that these folks don't have that flexibility in their resources. we have lived here full time for 16 years and have only regreted not doing it sooner--except when its too noisy at certain times of year. i say, come. make your move, take your chances, there will be support when you get here. there are more young people moving here every year, but we are not segregated by age, many of us have friends both old and young. let us know when you are arriving....

I have to disagree with you on this point.  I wouldn't recommend that anyone just uproot their whole life, and come down without making an exploratory trip first.  Yes, the initial trip may cost them extra money that they didn't plan on, but better to spend a little now, than to spend all that money to move EVERYTHING down, just to find out that they made a decision that didn't suit them.

There are several good private schools here.  The International School is probably the best.  If you are a church goer, the Baptist church has a number of children in it that would welcome your kids.  They have both an English and a Mexican congregation.  I brought electronics, good kitchen equipment, and linens.  They are cheaper and of better quality in the US (in my opinion).  Is it safe?  In my opinion, yes.  Reasonable caution and good sense go a long way here.  You can bring down whatever you want.  For ease, in case you get checked at the boarder, put what is in each box you bring on the box and make a list of each box.  I didn't bring down furniture.  There are a lot of second hand stores if you want to get something.  There are also some  reasonably priced carpenters that will make wooden pieces for you that I really think are superior to what you buy in a box store NOB.  "Affordable" housing depends on your definition of the word.  For some it could be $300US/ month for others, it could be $4000US/month.  Chapala is a lot cheaper for rent or buy than Ajijic but is still very close.  I would recommend a one year lease to start with as you do not know the areas and that will give you time to learn more before you make a really long term commitment.  If you like where you rent, you can then negotiate a longer lease.  It would be wise to rent for at least a year before considering buying a house here.  That will give you time to decide if you like living here.  There are a number of places where you can find individuals advertising their homes for rent ( the Lake Chapala Society and outside some of the grocery stores).  I think it is essential for you as a US citizen who has not lived in Mexico to come down here for an exploratory trip.  You need to check out schools and areas to see what fits your needs.  A month will help you get past the rose colored glasses of vacation syndrome.  If you are American, you need to be aware of the differences living here are in relation to what you and your children are used to.  You may be bilingual (much better) and know the culture, but living here is very different from the US.  Definitely go to Rolly's site.  It will help you a lot.  I have been here six years.  Will I return to the US?  Who can predict the future but I hope not.  I sure don't want to. I find life here superior to there.  However, not everyone can tolerate the differences.  You will find most people here, both American and Mexican, will help you in any way they can so don't be afraid to ask.  Good luck.

We rented our house a few years back to a couple from the US, on the younger side. They had sold all their stuff and moved here lock stock and barrel. They lasted at most 2 months before they high tailed it back to Arkansas with their tails between their legs!

Of course visit first.

Archived