Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajra Airport ,Protests

lakeside7

I did a pick up yesterday of a 98 year old woman in a wheel chair and her daughter. My nurse which was with me spoke to the people under the tent and explained our situation and they kindly let me pull right up to the airport exit door.  I don't agree or disagree with their protest but, they are humans and treated me as one.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still going on yesterday, Monday afternoon. I was picked up and walked out to an island where I know the driver could pick me up, drop off her other rider and turn around to get out. Ejidos had a tent at the entrance of the airport doors and again blocking the entrance to the parking lot. And the middle of the road in front of drop off has two lanes dug up the full length of the terminal in repair. If you don't know how to circumvent it's a mess. I advise drop off at Oxxo if the people can walk that far.

I am assuming that the Oxxo is on the main highway? How far away is it from the Airport? I am coming in at 5:30 p.m. tomorrow (Wednesday) and I would like to give my hired driver the alternative location if there's a problem. T.I.A

Early morning arrivals are the worst now.  I landed at 6:00 AM behind several other flights on Sunday the 26th, easy through INM and luggage came off fast but took 20-30 minutes to get through customs as the sala was a mass of humanity.  When I got outside to the sidewalk across the street along the parking garage, my phone rang from my pickup person who had arrived at 6 as well and was still just beyond the glorieta by Oxxo at 6:30.  I walked down the road between the lane of parked cars and the crawling/stopped active lane to meet my ride, noticing people bailing out of vehicles and walking in the opposite direction to check in.  I met him by the garage entrance around 6:45 and we crept along until we got past the one pedestrian crossing which had a traffic guard blocking the traffic way more than having the pedestrians wait.  Also people picking up handicapped persons stopped in the middle of the traffic flow to open doors on both sides rather than against the curb right in front of her with no direction to move over.  Finally at 7:15 we reached the carretera.

My advice would be to get dropped off on the carretera at the bus stop, take the pedestrian overpass, and hoof the one km up to the terminal if you can do it.  The next bet would be to get dropped off at the Oxxo glorieta where your driver can escape the majority of the mess.  The police were also allowing vehicles to turn around at the no left turn spots before the glorieta.  I would allow one extra hour just to do this.  Expect 2 hours to get up to the terminal for drop off there.  My driver also attempted to use the less heavily traveled street in front of the rental car agencies, but the police at the glorieta wouldn't let him turn into it.  Same advice with pickup, walk as far as you can away from the terminal, keep in contact with your ride by cell phone, and plan to meet closer to the entrance or on the carretera itself.

The  ejidatarios have received several payments, the latest being 40 million pesos in 2009. but they claim they are currently demanding 2.6 billion pesos. The Communications and Transportation Secretariat (SCT)  is waiting for a court to reissue a ruling on the case as one released last April was described as “unclear.”  I am just hoping that Hell freezes over soon before we have to fly.

- Tuesday 27th article here:

I landed at 5PM today and was out of the airport in a cab headed for Ajijic in less than 20 minutes. No problems. I did see cabs picking up people near the OXXO though. All was good but the airport cab driver got lost looking for Hotel Casa Blanca. I finally determined we were within a few blocks and stopped/tipped him. I asked another parked cab driver where it was and walked the two blocks. All is well tonight but I can tell the altitude is kicking my butt being I have lived at sea level all my life. 

The cab driver told me they had been letting the cabs through but not the private car..I do not know if it is correct but that is what he said and there were no one stopping car midday.  

Who knows what the story about the ejido is , Ejidos seem to come back over and over for more money ...that is why it is a good idea to stay away from them..

The altitude is not very high you will be fine the next day. 

On 25/9/2016 at 5:35 PM, geeser said:

Maybe the Ford Executives will fly into GDL before deciding to expand their manufacturing at SLP. It can always turn out like it did for the Tire Manufacturing at El Saltos. They couldn't deal with the unions and just packed up and left. The government wouldn't let them take their manufacturing equipment when they left. The Union said it would use the equip and manufacture the tires themselves. I know at three years in they still hadn't made a usable round tire. Companies need to understand this stuff.

Tire manufacturing at El Saltos is going on very well. Since taking over the factory in 2005 and transforming into the worker co-op TRADOC, the worker-owners of the El Saltos tire company have produced approximately 25 million tires. Production presently runs at 18,000 tires per day, of which approximately 75% are marketed in the US by TRADOC's partner, Cooper Tire and Rubber Company. In 2012, the co-operative received the Galardon Jalisco a la Exportacion (Jalisco Exportation Award) for its success in producing tires for export.

I came in to the airport last night. A big mess. Fortunately my driver had the foresight to park well before the terminal. He came into the terminal and met me and we schlepped to the OXXO each toting one suitcase. It really wasn't that bad. If he had come in any farther, he would have been stuck in a very long line of traffic that was not moving trying to get out. The rain added to the adventure.

Glad to be home. Whatever happened to "Beam me up"?

Re you talking about the Oxxo across the street from the national side of the terminal or is there another OXX outside of the terminal? I have tp meet a couple of women Saturday and I was planning to meet them at the OXXO across the street from the terminal.. Is that the Oxxo you are talking about?

33 minutes ago, bmh said:

Re you talking about the Oxxo across the street from the national side of the terminal or is there another OXX outside of the terminal? I have tp meet a couple of women Saturday and I was planning to meet them at the OXXO across the street from the terminal.. Is that the Oxxo you are talking about?

There are 2 OXXOs. One across the driveway from the national arrivals and one on the driveway into the airport near the glorieta about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile from the terminal.

Archived