Chapala.com Webboard

Lirio

tomgates

Now that the Dams on the Lerma River are releasing water, and lirio with it, what is the update on the year ago article in the GR about a big lirio eating/mulching machine that was to be deployed  to remove the lirio?

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Guadalajara Reporter (Oct 1-7, 2016 pg. 15) the Lirio extraction will begin in November.  The first mechanical parts have arrived in Chapala this week and a Tiger Cat extraction boat is on its way from West Palm Beach, Florida.  The lirio and other aquatic plant material will be used to make compost.  Perfect!  Perhaps I will be able to start fishing again soon from the Ajijic pier area...!!!

Why are the officials reinventing the wheel when it comes to lirio?  Extracting machines were used several years ago to no effect.  The lirio couldn't be composted because it absorbs too many heavy metals from the lake which is not good for a garden.  The only remedy for the lirio that was scooped out of the lake was to bury it.  Finally it was sprayed with glyphosate which killed the lirio without damaging the environment as feared.  It looks to me as if someone is going to make a lot of money from the Chapala and state government for something that won't solve the lirio problem.

I have semi - seriously suggested before. Hold a Mystical Lirio festival, with shamans and ancient dancers. Get the government to volunteer a very small bit of their mountain of confiscated cannabis, mix in with the lirio, ignite. The tourism potential would be YUUGE!

15 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I have semi - seriously suggested before. Hold a Mystical Lirio festival, with shamans and ancient dancers. Get the government to volunteer a very small bit of their mountain of confiscated cannabis, mix in with the lirio, ignite. The tourism potential would be YUUGE!

Don't forget add drumming LOL. Call it Chapala Burning Man!   300 bucks a ticket. Chillin we can make some real money off this!   Tell em you can smoke lirio!   

13 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It's pretty silly to think this one little machine is going to make a dent in the tons of lirio in this rather large lake.

The plan is to stop the lirio at the mouth of the Lerma before it gets into the lake.

46 minutes ago, dave0415 said:

The plan is to stop the lirio at the mouth of the Lerma before it gets into the lake.

Have you seen what the Lerma looks like where it enters the lake during high flows?

And as noted, even if this were practical which it is not, the Lirio is already in the lake in huge quantities.

By the looks of it, all that fine black soil along the beaches is from decomposing lirio and, left unchecked, looks like it has the capacity to fill the lake over time. I like the burning man idea, expect why not turn it into alcohol and sell it world wide as Chapala Gold.

You can like it all you want - but remember I have the tee shirt concession (I actually brought down a tee shirt press) and a cut from the food trucks.

The Sinaloans grow their cannabis in fields, male/female all together, growing as quickly as possible. Only the females are psychoactive, the males are useless. Next army bust, ask them the set aside the males - sacrifice for the festival and Goddess of the lake. Could mix in some copal too.

Francis Ford Coppola was a genius at orchestrating fire and smoke.

The End - long version

Guest English Rose
23 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Why are the officials reinventing the wheel when it comes to lirio?  Extracting machines were used several years ago to no effect.  The lirio couldn't be composted because it absorbs too many heavy metals from the lake which is not good for a garden.  The only remedy for the lirio that was scooped out of the lake was to bury it.  Finally it was sprayed with glyphosate which killed the lirio without damaging the environment as feared.  It looks to me as if someone is going to make a lot of money from the Chapala and state government for something that won't solve the lirio problem.

I agree with you. It was very effective and no adverse results were reported. I wonder why they are going with new equipment when similar equipment didn't do the work of removing the lirio. Whose decision was it to spend money (again) without checking what has been tried before?

Archived