Chapala.com Webboard

Best Soups?

kgreenbury

Arileo west of town, used to make great soups. Don't go there any more (other reasons). Gosha makes a very nice soup (middle of Ajijic highway). Cocinart always makes a good soup. La Mision does make a great clam chowder, but it's a bit pricey for lunch. Perry's Pizza made a good chowder, but very tiny portion for the price... someone on this board mentioned that he told Perry there were too many potatos in it, and he apparently fixed that.

8 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Mom's Deli & Puritan Poultry have frozen in the freezer.

Love their soups. They have a great pea soup and bacon, corn chowder, lentil, and navy bean. We usually grab a couple of each flavor, stick them in the freezer.

On 9/23/2016 at 11:46 AM, kgreenbury said:

Tired of cooking - looking for recommendations of places around town that make good soups I could just bring home.

I know you're looking for ready made soups but this is a close second. I keep some cans of Campbell's brand Poblano and Asparagus soups in my pantry.

In my freezer, I have a bag of strips of Poblano chillies and some corn. If I want soup, I open up a can of Poblano soup and add some chillies and corn.

If I find good fresh asparagus, I cook up small one inch pieces in a little water for a minute or so before adding the asparagus soup.

Wallah! No need to even go out my front door.

Second the commotion on Mom's Deli soups. SuperLake stocks some in the freezer, but Mom's has a better selection. So, go to Mom's for breakfast on the off day when the parking lot is not packed, and stock up! Memo to Mom's: when I want soup, it is generally because I have a cold and don't want to cook or go out. So...vegetable and chicken noodle and that sort of mild thing are great...just a hint! I do sometimes buy a Progresso vegetable soup at SuperLake, but it requires an expenditure involving gold bars. AND SIGH--I never seem to get to the organic tianguis, and when I do, I seem to spend an awful lot for not a lot, with the exception of the organic greens, which are wonderful.

Archived