Chapala.com Webboard

Horrible Noise - drumming of some sort

Ready Or Not

The drummers were not Mexican (at least not according to their appearance, they appeared to be gringos) and there was no audience even pretending to enjoy their noise..... although they gave themselves hearty applause afterwards no one else clapped.     Anyway I don't want to stop walking on the malecon as it is mostly a lovely space and I find the sounds of Mexican families and children enjoying themselves pleasant.   I may buy a boom box and some bagpipe CDs and try that.    

4 minutes ago, Ready Or Not said:

The drummers were not Mexican (at least not according to their appearance, they appeared to be gringos) and there was no audience even pretending to enjoy their noise..... although they gave themselves hearty applause afterwards no one else clapped.     Anyway I don't want to stop walking on the malecon as it is mostly a lovely space and I find the sounds of Mexican families and children enjoying themselves pleasant.   I may buy a boom box and some bagpipe CDs and try that.    

Back when I lived in a coastal counter-culture university town, there were always the drumming groups on the ocean side walkway downtown.  They took this very seriously.

I've read that the bagpiping and drumming originally started to scare the spit out of the enemy troop in the olden days.  Anyone know?  If I were a new recruit and heard that sound coming over the hill.......I'd want to run and hide, for sure.

Finally.......the bright side:  if you can hear all these noises, the good news is that you haven't gone deaf yet.:rolleyes:

Just in case there are people reading this topic who think that the north shore of Lake Chapala is nothing but drums: I live on the far west side of Ajijic in La Canacinta, and it is quiet here, which is one of the many reasons I like it. The older I get, the more noise sensitive I am. (To look on the bright side, the good news is that my hearing is still good!). I love living where the moo of a cow or the whinny of a horse and the occasional toot of a car horn is the worst it gets. (Well, we DO have an annual fiesta, but I have failed of late to contribute toward the fireworks;)

We hear drum practice in our neighborhhod every year at this time,

and especiially prevalent this week, as the local school kids are practicing their drumming/marching

in preparation for the big Independence Day parade this weekend. For many, this is

the first time they have played a drum, and for many more, the first time ever marching in a parade,

and they are practicing very diligently because they don't want to be the one kid that is out

of step, especiallty with family, friends and neighbors watching.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

We are sorry Ned. We know Pedro isn't your name. For a while you used Don Pedro. It is really Peter. I have a suggestion that perhaps the next time you have to change your name that you try Don Pedo :) Only kidding. I do enjoy your posts, especially when everyone calls you Pedro and you say your name is Ned and that you live three streets above your good friend and hero Pedro.

Could you please post some more pictures of you good friend Pedro? It is really great hearing about him from him, I mean from you.

I

One street. Have another rum and coke.

12 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

My dear Pedro - what I am really saying that this an imported culture from Scotland. Mexico has its own rich, and very deep musical culture. These sounds, like the Chinese (who have different musical scales) are jarring to the ears of MOST Mexicans, this is a sound not in their musical vocabulary. Another example from Northern Europe Swedish death metal

On the other hand, I kind of like tuvan throat singing, and have songs in my collection.

Here is a clip with legendary American bluesman, Paul Pena (Jet Airliner was his). He travelled to Mongolia to learn this singing. They call him "Earthquake" there, about halfway through the song you will see why. The whistle you hear is not a penny whistle, but singing. He was able to mix blues with a very traditional form of music.

Paul Pena

In regards to the bagpipes, Spain also has a tradition of using them.  They are called gaitas, and due to the rich Celtic heritage of North Western Spain, gaitas are very common instruments and there are lots and lots of great videos on you tube with Spanish Gaita bands, most of them come from the Galician region which is very proud of their Celtic roots and history.  The gaitas have been traced back to existing in Spain since the 1300's, and possibly much older. They are considered to be part of their cultural legacy, and after the Conquista of the New World, many Gallegos immigrated to Mexico, many many of them coming to Jalisco, in fact before Jalisco became Jalisco, Western Mexico was called Nueva Galicia during the times of the early of the Spanish.  Indeed, maybe there is a small sub culture here in Mexico that preserved their historical preference for, knows about, and appreciates the gaitas.

Another interesting tidbit of information is that there are many legends that claim that several thousand years ago during the period of the Phoenicians, a group of Celts from Spain sailed for and settled in Ireland and mixing with the small native population there, and quite possibly bringing the first bagpipe to Ireland where it latter made its way into Scotland.

Enjoy this video

Thank you Dichoaslocura. I know very well about Galicia and the Celts. Many of them ended up in the Los Altos area of Jalisco - blue or green eyed Mexicans who know how to raise perfect dairy cattle. I lived a whole year with fanatic Welsh Celts (I was only allowed to stay there if I was willing to take Welsh language lessons). The Celtic drummers there were not so loud, and many of their songs, that I often heard, were more involved with an ancient hidden magic, more than battle songs.

11 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

I always used Yma Sumac....guaranteed to clear a house in five minutes.

Actually, I have some of her songs. The crowd clearer "back in the day" was Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" a contractual album for a label he no longer wanted.

I think that was a local "drumming circle", maybe not very experienced.  I'm curious as to why people describe drumming has having "songs" and 'chords" both of which refer to melodies, not drums.  Drumming is a deep ritual part of indigenous cultures and is still alive and well in MX.  I wasn't there so I don't know if that is what it was.  Good indigenous drumming is pleasantly hypnotic - if it is not pleasant, the people could be inexperienced copiers - some one noted they were gringos?? - no you don't have to check their passports - appearances usually are a giveaway...  There used to be a regular drum circle there around 6 or 7 years ago, but when the good MX drummers dropped out it all went down hill.

Trust me no noise is as bad as the super LOUD amplified bar music here - which has abated in my area (except for last night from Plaza B. last night) due to concerted neighborhood actions.  Nowdays there is a lot of boom-box noise around the malecon - sad...  if we just had acoustic music - end of problem!

Those drumming circles are a little bit creepy. Like the line "the natives are restless tonight".  Just before they round up the missionaries to put in their stewpots!

A Jimmy Buffet song, here performed by Don Tiki.

natives are restless

And in the interests of Mexican cultural awareness, same drums, but the Snake Dance performed by Salma Hayek. Nothing hidden about her magic. Quentin Tarantino and (a young) George Clooney seem to get it.

Salma

On 9/23/2016 at 0:40 PM, johanson said:

We are sorry Ned. We know Pedro isn't your name. For a while you used Don Pedro. It is really Peter. I have a suggestion that perhaps the next time you have to change your name that you try Don Pedo :) Only kidding. I do enjoy your posts, especially when everyone calls you Pedro and you say your name is Ned and that you live three streets above your good friend and hero Pedro.

Could you please post some more pictures of you good friend Pedro? It is really great hearing about him from him, I mean from you.

I

Perhaps Ned Small could include, as his avatar, a photo of himself - has anyone ever met Ned Small - I only butt in, because I have had dealings with Don Pedro

15 minutes ago, BCdoug said:

Perhaps Ned Small could include, as his avatar, a photo of himself - has anyone ever met Ned Small - I only butt in, because I have had dealings with Don Pedro

Mtnmama posted sometime in Febuary or January that she met us both together at the Cruz Roja polar bear swim fund raiser. Unlike Pedro but based on his experiences, which he has related to me, I have no interests in actually meeting any of you. Almost everybody else is anonymous on this board as well Note that I don't post much either. So what dealings have you had with him BCdoug and shall I pass on well wishes or a raspberry? I am a bit younger and more fit than he and I know him from Alberta where I played hockey with him and was employed by him in his sales promotion agency.

Ned, if you need, I have several photos from you on my old computer which is located lakeside, from some of your original posts taken many years ago when you first started posting. In those days you said you had another profession, and that your wife worked for the school system, if I remember right. You also used your real first name.  I will be back in a few days and can post them for you, if you want.

Just trying to be helpful :)

Archived