Chapala.com Webboard

Horrible Noise - drumming of some sort

Ready Or Not

I like to take walks after dinner on the malecon, it is usually peaceful & on windy days like this you can hear the waves coming in.  Yes sometimes there are a few cars with music blaring or the odd 3 pc mariachi band practicing for an hour or so.   Tonight there was horrible bongo (?) drums (or just heavy monotonous drumming of the same chord over and over) that drowned out every other normal life noise on the malecon.  I honestly developed a headache after 10 min.   Wondering what the heck it was?  It was without doubt the worst noise I have heard yet in Mexico. Does anyone know what it was & if it is a regular thing.  If so can you tell me the nights they are going to be there and I will avoid walking there.  Dreadful.....such a shame to drown out the lovely sounds of life and the waves......of course this is IMO

We live very close to Coppel in Chapala, and we have what we call as the drum people practicing every single night across the avenue in the municipal sports center.  They are very loud and they usually play from around 7 to 9 pm every night.  The drum people are kind of annoying, but we have adapted to and now hardly even notice them drumming loudly in the distance.  But it would be nice if they could learn a new song, they only seem to know the banda de guerra song.  We feel as if we are marching off to war every night.  Now if we could just get that tamales de elote guy to tune his extremely happy little song down a bit, we would have a fairly quieter neighborhood.  Ever since he traded his pick-up truck for a bicycle, he passes so much slower around our barrio around 9:30 ish.  But stepping back down to reality folks, Mexico is very very noisy and I honestly wouldn't want it any other way.  I could never imagine going back to that sterile and dreadfully quiet as a graveyard silent place from which I came from in the rural Southern US of A.

Well, even though much of this area of the North Shore tends to be on the noisy side, there places where one can live in a mostly quiet tranquil location.  I've heard it said that anywhere between Chapala and Ajijic, you won't find many places that are truly quiet all the time.  Even up in upper Chula Vista they say the noise of the carretera travels up the mountain.  Although, I've only lived in down town Chapala since I moved to Mexico, but if I was looking for perfect tranquility I would maybe check out the fraccionamientos between Chapala and Mezcala area, a few come to mind like Vista del Lago and Los Galapagos.  I wonder how quiet Chapala Haciendas is, even though you are right next to the autopista to Guadalajara, maybe if you find a house further out, you won´t hear a thing from the busy highway. And even in the Santa Cruz and San Nicolas area, you could probably easily find a property or house in a rustic country location, boy I bet the gardening would be wonderful out in that area if you could get your hands on a decent sized property.

I am sorry you don't like drumming. Others do.  Drumming is very widespread around here.  I can hear them drumming every night in the mountains. Some drummers are better than others.  I suggest you carry earplugs all the time if this kind of thing drives you to be sick.  Part of this is you and others who are just very sensitive.  My wife is one of you but she is not bothered by the drumming but other things.  I know you just want to avoid this but noise in Mexico is kinda hard to avoid.  If its not drumming its somebody chipping masonry for 8 hours or whatever. I tend to get used to new noisy things but  I am lucky.  

11 hours ago, Ready Or Not said:

I like to take walks after dinner on the malecon, it is usually peaceful & on windy days like this you can hear the waves coming in.  Yes sometimes there are a few cars with music blaring or the odd 3 pc mariachi band practicing for an hour or so.   Tonight there was horrible bongo (?) drums (or just heavy monotonous drumming of the same chord over and over) that drowned out every other normal life noise on the malecon.  I honestly developed a headache after 10 min.   Wondering what the heck it was?  It was without doubt the worst noise I have heard yet in Mexico. Does anyone know what it was & if it is a regular thing.  If so can you tell me the nights they are going to be there and I will avoid walking there.  Dreadful.....such a shame to drown out the lovely sounds of life and the waves......of course this is IMO

Yesterday I saw a group of americans drumming at 7.30 pm at the malecon plazoleta.

30 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Of course everybody knows that Mexicans love bagpipe music, right up there with Chinese Opera.

The vid is in Mexico and it's a Mexican banda de gaitas and that is a Mexican audience enjoying  it. What part of that did you fail to hear and see? There are many more vids of this group playing all over Mexico and even in Ireland to massive audiences. I know nothing about Mexicans appreciation of Chinese opera so I really can't comment. Tell us what you know in that respect then mr. CHILLIN.

Well not in Puerto Vallarta, where my parents lived on the beach for over ten years. It was a running joke, when the waiters, kitchen staff, car wash guys got too loud (or drunk, or both) my Father would put on a CD of bagpipe music, they would run around like blood was pouring out of their ears "No mas Ruido!" they would say. It was all in good fun, but not one of them asked for a copy of the CD

This is a good example how people think that just because they enjoy like a particular genre of music, that everybody else will too, they just have to hear it extra loud, and then they too will become fans. I used to live, and work, in bagpipe country, and I do not have one single track of any music involving bagpipes.

20 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Well not in Puerto Vallarta, where my parents lived on the beach for over ten years. It was a running joke, when the waiters, kitchen staff, car wash guys got too loud (or drunk, or both) my Father would put on a CD of bagpipe music, they would run around like blood was pouring out of their ears "No mas Ruido!" they would say. It was all in good fun, but not one of them asked for a copy of the CD

This is a good example how people think that just because they enjoy like a particular genre of music, that everybody else will too, they just have to hear it extra loud, and then they too will become fans. I used to live, and work, in bagpipe country, and I do not have one single track of any music involving bagpipes.

Jajajajaja! A little something just for you from Puerto Vallarta,senor expert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ib6Xw27s8

Well get some bagpipes, wait - no, they will just think it is bunch of roof cats fighting it out!

In Puerto Vallarta they are tolerant upon seeing men running around in skirts, with no underwear, but white bagpiper culture - not so much.

Chinese Opera - find a Mexican who can listen to this more than 2 minutes

Chinese Opera Star

2 hours ago, ned small said:

I would really like it if this group brought their lovely sound here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwhETA9aalI

We had the good fortune to hear the San Patricio group at the Hotel Monte Carlo a few years ago.  They are outstanding and we have heard some top notch pipe bands around the world.  The leader, Rafael Gutierrez, quips that he is Rafael McGutierrez.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Well get some bagpipes, wait - no, they will just think it is bunch of roof cats fighting it out!

In Puerto Vallarta they are tolerant upon seeing men running around in skirts, with no underwear, but white bagpiper culture - not so much.

Chinese Opera - find a Mexican who can listen to this more than 2 minutes

Chinese Opera Star

Gary Gary Gary, here are hundreds of Mexicans watching and listening to [white-your words] "female"[one is the jefa] and male pipers,singers and female sword dancers on the malecon in [gasp] Puerto Vallarta. What colour would you ascribe to the San Patricios  then-hmmm?

who

Sometimes at night the kids across the street (Plaza del Toros area) turn the buckets upside down and use them for drums. wow! sounds like they are doing it right inside my house! then in the afternoon, someone puts on the radio loud enough for the whole town to hear. 

My philosophy is "fight noise with noise" much like Chillin implied.

I'm not sure my neighborhood likes Romanza by Andrea Bocelli

Putumayo- Latina Africano   and Gipsy kings are my fave blast back albums. 

Honestly, it is the couple of neglected roof dogs barking that drives me kookoo. But I'm getting used to it. That said, when the lqandlord's other tenant in Riberas moves out, I may move over there. Don't want to lose this great landlord. I'm sure Riberas has its own noise especial.

My dear Pedro - what I am really saying that this an imported culture from Scotland. Mexico has its own rich, and very deep musical culture. These sounds, like the Chinese (who have different musical scales) are jarring to the ears of MOST Mexicans, this is a sound not in their musical vocabulary. Another example from Northern Europe Swedish death metal

On the other hand, I kind of like tuvan throat singing, and have songs in my collection.

Here is a clip with legendary American bluesman, Paul Pena (Jet Airliner was his). He travelled to Mongolia to learn this singing. They call him "Earthquake" there, about halfway through the song you will see why. The whistle you hear is not a penny whistle, but singing. He was able to mix blues with a very traditional form of music.

Paul Pena

4 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

My dear Pedro - what I am really saying that this an imported culture from Scotland. Mexico has its own rich, and very deep musical culture. These sounds, like the Chinese (who have different musical scales) are jarring to the ears of MOST Mexicans, this is a sound not in their musical vocabulary.

On the other hand, I kind of like tuvan throat singing, and have songs in my collection.

Here is a clip with legendary American bluesman, Paul Pena (Jet Airliner was his). He travelled to Mongolia to learn this singing. They call him "Earthquake" there, about halfway through the song you will see why. The whistle you hear is not a penny whistle, but singing. He was able to mix blues with a very traditional form of music.

Paul Pena

As usual you are wrong even about my name which is ned,and the San Patricio pipe band is deep rooted in "MEXICAN" culture and has nothing to do with any of your latest post which has nothing to do with Mexico let alone some of your other off topics. Perhaps you need to familiarise yourself with their contribution in the Mexican/ USA war of 1846-48. In the vid I posted of the playing,the banda was doing it where the mainly Irish regiment defended that building from the yanks. Yes the Irish also played the pipes.

We are sorry Ned. We know Pedro isn't your name. For a while you used Don Pedro. It is really Peter. I have a suggestion that perhaps the next time you have to change your name that you try Don Pedo :) Only kidding. I do enjoy your posts, especially when everyone calls you Pedro and you say your name is Ned and that you live three streets above your good friend and hero Pedro.

Could you please post some more pictures of you good friend Pedro? It is really great hearing about him from him, I mean from you.

I

when the posts get uglier than the topic itself---almost unbearable noise----it might be time for the Moderator to shut the crap down!! but hey, i haven't been dissed bad enough to go totally to TOB . jajajaja

here's some bad noise. yesterday i simply said "Hello, how are you" in Walmart and the dude blasted me with "DO I KNOW YOU??????" and i responded with something cheery while he boldly and arrogantly walked rapidly away. 

I'll take mexican noise over those kind of jerks any time of day or night.........

Archived