Chapala.com Webboard

Great breakfast coming!

heidinrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those people who cost a restaurant business by bringing in their dogs have an obligation to try and help them make up for the loss they cause. I don't believe dogs belong in restaurants but would not necessarily boycott a restaurant which allows them. I have eaten at a table beside Artsnob and Chica. She was perfectly behaved and Artsnob was pretty good. However, if I walked into a restaurant and there was a table with four dogs I would not stay. People who bring multiple dogs into a restaurant do a major disservice to that business. 

Just had a lovely breakfast at Jimmy D's this morning.  Food was delicious, prices reasonable, and the setting was very pleasant now that the rain is over.  Our server was attentive and polite.  The owners are very personable and trying to get this started the right way.  Pretty sure this will be a good addition for visitors and locals alike. Cheers!

I don't really want to involve myself in this seemingly never ending squabble about dogs vs no dogs but yestrrday I googled several variations of "Mexico law dogs in restaurants". I found absolutely nothing. I did, however, find this which I thought was very interesting! 

www.bringfido.com/restaurant/country/mexico/

Rick

36 minutes ago, heidinrick said:

I don't really want to involve myself in this seemingly never ending squabble about dogs vs no dogs but yestrrday I googled several variations of "Mexico law dogs in restaurants". I found absolutely nothing. I did, however, find this which I thought was very interesting! 

www.bringfido.com/restaurant/country/mexico/

Rick

You didn't look very hard.  This very web board, in its long, long thread on dogs in restaurants, had at least one quote of the law itself.  Some people simply don't want to hear that, nor do they care as much about other people as they care about their own wants.

Your link produced the following local information about the nearest city: Guadalajara.

" There are 2 restaurants in Guadalajara, MX that welcome dogs at their OUTDOOR tables. "

A little research brought me to Gringal's own post from last year, that she spent an awful lot of time researching, with a direct link to the law. http://www.salud.gob.mx/unidades/cdi/nom/093ssa14.html

Pertinent clauses: 5.2.8 and 5.8.6:

5.2.8 Todo lugar de almacenamiento debe estar libre de fauna nociva o mascotas, mohos o suciedad visible, se debe establecer un sistema de control preventivo efectivo así como limpiarse periódicamente y lavarse al final de la jornada.

5.8.6 Todas las áreas del servicio deben estar libres de fauna nociva o mascotas, excepción hecha de los perros guía, contar en puertas y ventanas con protección a prueba de insectos y roedores, presentar comprobante de fumigación preventiva de los últimos 3 meses proporcionado por la empresa responsable y donde conste el número de licencia expedida por la autoridad correspondiente.

A rough translation of 5.8.6 is "All service areas should be free of harmful wildlife or pets". And I don't see how there can be any discussion of what a "service area" is... wherever there is restaurant service, period. Kitchen, tables, indoors, outdoors, whatever.

Moderator, this would be a good page and bit of text to pin to the top of the Furry Friends section, to end the debate once and for all.

Start a new thread over there.  We have a lot pinned there at the moment due to the dog poisoning problem.

I don't think there's ever been a question as to whether taking one's dog into a restaurant, or a restaurant allowing dogs in any of the food service area, is breaking this law.  The problem here is that we have a government that doesn't enforce this law along with a lot of others and can't even manage to provide basic services unless one is living in a favored part of the municipio.

We also have laws against loose dogs and not picking up after dogs.  Like the restaurant law these are widely ignored here and not just by the Mexican community.  We have more than a few expats in this town who, for example, take their dogs or let their dog walkers take their dogs to the Malecon park where children play and allow the dogs to run loose and leave crap on the lawns.

It is too bad that people who should know better can't bring themselves to be good neighbors and citizens and observe all these laws.  Some of you might want to contemplate how these behaviors from time to time motivate unbalanced or just plain bad people to take matters into their own hands. 

Don't tell us how much you love a restaurant or their owners and then willfully put them in the situation of either telling you not to bring your pet(s) or just having to look the other way.

As for this restaurant, I think we can conclude they are not going to follow the law.  

Haha, I just assumed we were in the Pet section, because I haven't seen anything about the original topic for quite a while...

But I have to say, I'm sorry, what? "I don't think there's ever been a question as to whether taking one's dog into a restaurant, or a restaurant allowing dogs in any of the food service area, is breaking this law." Rick just specifically asked that question, and it is the sole basis for these ongoing, bloviated, ridiculous tirades. People think their "rights" as pet owners are being abused because they haven't seen the law... good thing I'm willing to take  someone else's word that shooting my neighbour is against the law, because I haven't actually seen it in print. And enforcement is not the topic.

I have started a thread over there.

• 2 weeks later...

I will not doggedly continue in this vein; rather, I have begun a new thread to provide a continuation of this thread's reviews of the cafe in question.

:rolleyes:

kb9gzg, you can start all the new threads you want on reviews for this restaurant. But there is no avoiding the fact that some people are delighted they can bring their dogs into a restaurant (not caring that it is illegal) and other potential diners will avoid the place, and it will always be a factor in the review. That's how it goes.

Owner's choice. These owners have made it clear by carefully not mentioning the issue that they don't care about the law, they're going to accommodate dog owners who want to bring their dogs to the place. They're saying by not saying otherwise  bring your doggies, we'll worry about a citation (and any possible loss of business).

Lexy

28 minutes ago, Lexy said:

kb9gzg, you can start all the new threads you want on reviews for this restaurant. But there is no avoiding the fact that some people are delighted they can bring their dogs into a restaurant (not caring that it is illegal) and other potential diners will avoid the place, and it will always be a factor in the review. That's how it goes.

Owner's choice. These owners have made it clear by carefully not mentioning the issue that they don't care about the law, they're going to accommodate dog owners who want to bring their dogs to the place. They're saying by not saying otherwise  bring your doggies, we'll worry about a citation (and any possible loss of business).

Lexy

Lexy, that's why I began a new thread, not wanting to remain doggedly stuck in this one that had broken its leash and headed down a different hunt.

Sounds as though Lexy is threatening that any thread reviewing this restaurant will be turned into a doggy rant. I hope I misread what she said. If she did mean that I hope moderators will not allow this highjacking to continue. It is getting tiresome.

Archived