Chapala.com Webboard

Great breakfast coming!

heidinrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They may take your advice on menu items, but should ignore it on pets and smoking.  We enjoyed your food, Rick, a couple of times, many years ago. However, we did not make any return visits because of your incessant smoking and the dogs/pet owners, who you seemed to love more than the other potential customers. So, we voted with our feet.  I suspect you may be giving the new guys bad advice on the “pet friendly“ theme, and encouraging them to break the laws of Jalisco, as well as chasing away the majority of potential customers.

I had two dogs/  They never went to a restaurant.  They were better off home where they were free to roam and I was free to eat without having to keep an eye on them.
Just like smokers who went to restaurants and stunk up the place and polluted the air it is selfish to to push your dog on others and also cause a problem for the restaurant owner legally and creating a loss of business for them.  You may think they appreciate your business but how many more people would patronize a good place if no pets allowed and both you and the ones who do not wish to share the space with your dog could enjoy being there.

Dios mio.

Another "dog in restaurants" thread. REALLY??? These new restauranteurs haven't even opened yet, or set their policy as far as anyone knows. Quit tarnishing the place prematurely.

Maybe the two warring "doggy" sides could give the argument a rest for a bit....out of common courtesy and fairness to the people starting up the restaurant. At least wait until it opens......

10 hours ago, Travis said:

Dios mio.

Another "dog in restaurants" thread. REALLY??? These new restauranteurs haven't even opened yet, or set their policy as far as anyone knows. Quit tarnishing the place prematurely.

Maybe the two warring "doggy" sides could give the argument a rest for a bit....out of common courtesy and fairness to the people starting up the restaurant. At least wait until it opens......

That's not the case at all.  He has made it very plain what his policy will be.  Read his posts on the subject, and that's the reason people are back on the old argument.  There are only two "doggy" sides: the "entitled" vs. the ones who follow the Mexican laws.  The latter leave their pets at home. 

What's the point of arguing about dog friendly or not when the restaurant hasn't even opened and we're not even sure of the menu?  Saying they're  "leaning toward" pet friendly is just the wrong thing to say with our population so divided on the topic. These owners will follow the law or they won't. We'll go there or we won't if dogs are allowed. Put it to rest for now.

Lexy

Dog discussion. Pets don't belong in restaurants. I have seen dogs urinating on outdoor chairs and more. Restaurant owners here are by cultural norms don't want to offend so they put up with it as they do with a street vendor selling food in their restaurant. Pet owners please....if you need your animal with you to eat ....eat at home. I have a dog.  My dog can stay by himself for a couple of hours. Another note...Just yesterday I saw a restaurant patron petting a street dog in a restaurant then eating their sandwich. What they didn't know was minutes before that dog was rolling in the street in another dogs defication. 

On 10/2/2016 at 9:24 AM, Mostlylost said:

Dog discussion. Pets don't belong in restaurants. I have seen dogs urinating on outdoor chairs and more. Restaurant owners here are by cultural norms don't want to offend so they put up with it as they do with a street vendor selling food in their restaurant. Pet owners please....if you need your animal with you to eat ....eat at home. I have a dog.  My dog can stay by himself for a couple of hours. Another note...Just yesterday I saw a restaurant patron petting a street dog in a restaurant then eating their sandwich. What they didn't know was minutes before that dog was rolling in the street in another dogs defication. 

Eeewwww!  

Just a comment for the OP.  Frankly, this area is glutted with restaurants.  They come and they go with great frequency and usually the reasons are either they don't serve good eats at competitive prices, their locations lack, or they do other things which cause a substantial portion of the potential clientele to avoid the place.

Like smoking for example.  Or crowding the tables, noisy amateurish music and obvious lack of attention to cleanliness. Or failure to control flies, a common problem around here. Or  bad service.  Or uncomfortable furniture.  Or, or, or...

Or dogs.  

Lots of things can kill an otherwise promising start particularly when there are so many alternatives only a few doors away.  It is a very tough business under the best of conditions and Lakeside is a brutally competitive market with very hard to please customers.

And once a customer decides not to come back, they are generally gone for good and while they are at it may share their experience and impressions with others.  

Supposedly one turned off customer may make up to 10 contacts sharing the negative experience.

I'd think long and hard on that last one.  For every dog dependent that won't eat some place because they are observing the law and don't allow pets, there are probably a significantly greater number of people who avoid restaurants with dogs, including us.  

Even the cleanest dogs shed hair and dander.  Too often they are tugging at the leash, out in the aisles and sometimes "communicating."  Not what we care to have at meal time.  Plenty of places to eat without that.

Restaurants are a lousy place if you are a dog.  All that food you can't have.  All that furniture.  All those strangers.  Those other dogs you can't visit with.  Your owner constantly pulling on your leash and making you sit or lay down when that's the last thing you want to do.

Finally, the fact is that the law prohibits pets in restaurants in this state.  Now we all know how lax law enforcement is here--until it isn't.  A couple of places found out the hard way that when they decide to enforce the law it can be very painful.

Why add this possibility to all the obstacles to success that every restaurant faces?  Give yourselves the greatest opportunity to succeed by avoiding the obvious turn offs.

Maybe the two gentlemen who have hired Rick to give advice on restaurant owning in this area will have to opportunity to read this thread. It will give them all the pros and cons of allowing diners to bring pets. And, oh, yes, a reminder of the fact that pets in restaurants are illegal. Then they might decide to concentrate on good food and service.

Our dog never spent time in a restaurant dining room. Because he shouldn't be there. In addition, we know he'd hate every minute of being surrounding by the aroma of good eats and he wouldn't be getting any. Sheer torture.

Lexy

We're looking forward to their opening, dog friendly or not.  We'll be there!  We've missed some of Heidi and Rick's great Breakfast offerings since they closed and it sounds like these new guys will be using some of their great recipes.

Excited!

Val :)

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, before the new restaurant even opens.....The restaurant that is currently operating at Ajijic Plaza Suites is called  La Terraza and will have absolutely nothing to do with the new restaurant "Jimmy D's Cafe", which will be serving a great breakfast, using Rick and Heidi's recipes.  After the new restaurant opens, La Terraza will no longer be serving breakfast.

Archived