Chapala.com Webboard

help with choosing new cel phone

chapala45900

My ancient, no frills Samsung cel phone..pay as you go, phone was hacked... all credits gone...I need to buy one that has a camera, it  is used for emergencies so do not need other features.  Can anyone in the know, suggest what to choose and where to go to buy it?  Cel phone for dummies is what I need.

Thanks for taking time to help me,

Kobi

My rec is that you look at the quality of the pictures that a phone takes. These measurements can be seen on the price display cards of most phones at WalMart and Soriana. That will immediately lock you into a price range. That is how most people choose their gadgets, by calculating the max they want to spend. In your case in particular, you don't need much, so a $2,000 to $3,000p phone will work very well. And you will no doubt find one or two on sale.

I would avoid Alcatel, however, as the two Alcatel phones I have had in-depth experience with were both kinda useless. One had its touch screen completely off sync; the other shows no updated software for moving files, which means the company doesn't care.

I'm glad this topic came up, I was going to post. We bought a NYX Mobile "Join" smart phone from Telcel in the Centro Laguna shopping center. The price was under 1,000 pesos with additional deals on Telcel Amigo packages. This smartphone offers 4G access (internet, etc). The specs are 4" touch screen, Android 4.2.2, 8 mpx camera - with flash, wifi compatible (free calls and texts) - the memory is external cards, up to 32 GB, internal memory 4 GB. This is all the Smartphone" you are going to need for the next three or four years. The downside, this phone is only sold in Latin American markets, there is no support for English language. We were able to ask Adrian, our computer guy, to setup the phone (answering message, delete unwanted text alerts, a bunch of other things). Of course the Android "apps" work perfectly well in English. For the cost of repairing my iPhone, with an exploded battery, I can buy a whole new phone. These new iPhones and Samsung smart phones are vanity items.

7 hours ago, chapala45900 said:

My ancient, no frills Samsung cel phone..pay as you go, phone was hacked... all credits gone...I need to buy one that has a camera, it  is used for emergencies so do not need other features.  Can anyone in the know, suggest what to choose and where to go to buy it?  Cel phone for dummies is what I need.

Thanks for taking time to help me,

Kobi

What's the Best Smartphone for People Who Aren't Good with Technology?

Simplicity and Ease of Use

As we've noted before, the Windows Phone is a really good option for people looking for what essentially amounts to a dumbphone that can also surf the web, check email, and navigate you around town. The interface is easy to use at a glance, and if someone's coming from a dumbphone they're not going to struggle too much to use the phone at first.

Windows phones are on the way out, I'm afraid. There is no such thing as "the best smartphone" for people who just want a basic phone. Just make sure you get a brand name that is supported in the U.S., Canada, or U.K., to avoid potential pitfalls, and as I said earlier, so you can get the proper manuals and software to manage it.

31 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Windows phones are on the way out, I'm afraid. There is no such thing as "the best smartphone" for people who just want a basic phone. Just make sure you get a brand name that is supported in the U.S., Canada, or U.K., to avoid potential pitfalls, and as I said earlier, so you can get the proper manuals and software to manage it.

You are absolutely correct in that the popularity is at a minimum, however the operating system will not affect the phone's ability to function or the ease of the phone's layout.

Windows Phone To End Up With A 0.8% Share By 2020

By the year 2020, though, Microsoft’s mobile OS on track to sell 1.7 million devices, for a share of 0.8%.

One should never buy a product because it is good, in the electronic world. One should buy a product based on its popularity.

Ridiculous, I know. See: Beta vs. VHS. Sony audio file format vs. mp3. Edison Records. (Tucker Autos.) Commodore vs. IBM clones. Microsoft Zune vs. anything. Texas Instruments 994A vs. Radio Shack and Atari. Microsoft themselves have stated they are getting out of the phone business. https://9to5mac.com/2016/05/25/microsoft-windows-phone-dead/

There are so many types and varieties of Android phones, and they all use basically the same interface. Much easier than Windows Phones... why? Because everyone has one and can tell you exactly what to do next.

On 2016-09-21 at 4:23 PM, CHILLIN said:

I'm glad this topic came up, I was going to post. We bought a NYX Mobile "Join" smart phone from Telcel in the Centro Laguna shopping center. The price was under 1,000 pesos with additional deals on Telcel Amigo packages.

I bought the NYX MAXX for 1049p at Walmart. Simple to change the language to English.  4G LTE, Quad Core 1.34GHz, Android 4.4.2, 8 Mpx main camera, 1.3 Mpx front camera, WIFI. Bluetooth

Archived