Chapala.com Webboard

Tipping guys who may load your car

bezerk

In Mazatlan, the guys in the lot also help one back out of the parking space by either stopping an oncoming car or letting you know when it is safe to back out. At first I sort of resented their help, since I had been driving for over 40 yrs without any help but then got used to it and now REALLY miss their help.  I always gave them $2 pesos for their help and now do the same here when the guy near Super Lake helps.  I figure it's a win-win.

There are no hard and fast rules as it seems situation dependent each time. In general 5-10 pesos depending on how much is there. Ten is the usual. If its a heavy load, 20. I have seen a few pesos (less than 5) given by my Mexican friends as a norm so we seem to be the big tippers .

Gas attendants. If they just pump gas, nada to 10 pesos depending on attitude. Around here that is usually 10 pesos as they are nice. If they ask to check levels etc, 10 to 20 pesos if I am in a good mood, ...or they are.

Home Depot thugs or other aggressive car loader-window washer types (you know the ones, those guys that swarm you, won't take no for an answer, pester you with that whiny "peso for a taco", or squirt your windshield with dirty water before asking if you want a window wash). Nada. They won't get asked to help either.

Waiters get about 20% but that varies too depending on level of service or rounding up. I give nada for really bad or slow service. At my favorite places, 20 is the norm (and yeah, I am a Canadian).

1 hour ago, Semalu said:

There are no hard and fast rules as it seems situation dependent each time. In general 5-10 pesos depending on how much is there. Ten is the usual. If its a heavy load, 20. I have seen a few pesos (less than 5) given by my Mexican friends as a norm so we seem to be the big tippers .

Gas attendants. If they just pump gas, nada to 10 pesos depending on attitude. Around here that is usually 10 pesos as they are nice. If they ask to check levels etc, 10 to 20 pesos if I am in a good mood, ...or they are.

Home Depot thugs or other aggressive car loader-window washer types (you know the ones, those guys that swarm you, won't take no for an answer, pester you with that whiny "peso for a taco", or squirt your windshield with dirty water before asking if you want a window wash). Nada. They won't get asked to help either.

Waiters get about 20% but that varies too depending on level of service or rounding up. I give nada for really bad or slow service. At my favorite places, 20 is the norm (and yeah, I am a Canadian).

My experience is different than yours. The guys at Costco get an amount depending on the size of the load alright. 10 pesos for a shopping cart load and 15 pesos for a couple of shopping cart loads. Restaurants always get 10% except small taco or torta shops about 5 pesos for 2. Pemex guys 5 pesos to wash the front window and pump gas. If they don´t then 3 pesos to pump the gas. If they check your oil they will add a liter when it doesn´t need it so you have to get out of the car and check it yourself with them, same as putting air in your tires or wáter or brake fluid. Better to not get them to do anything except windows and gas. IMO

The guys with dirty wáter simply wag your index finger so thay can see it before they are close enough to do their deed to your clean window and the same with the vendors at red lights so they won´t interrupt your conversation or disturb your thoughts. If they persist ignore them or give them the stink eye. They will remember you next time and pass you by usually. If you don´t and buy something or pay attention like they are worthy of your attention they will always pester you.

The small children with candy that hang their head in the open window and give you the sad eyes and won´t leave nothing. Most of them should be in school or playing with friends. Shame on their parent or parents.

I always give a minimum of 10 pesos at walmart  At Costco I am getting help with large loads of dog food etc I get 2 guys 20 pesos each more if there is a lot of cat sand  ,.

At Costco if the guys see me go in then they are waiting when I come out so I think my tips are adequate.

Restaurants 20% I have never had bad service sometimes not the greatest food but that is not the waiters fault  and I am Canadian 

Beggars.......nada

Anyone willing to work and show a smile and tolerance for my poor Spanish.........never less than 20 pesos. Baggers, parking lot help, Pemex, etc. Always 20% minimum in a restaurant unless service is really bad. Minimum of $1 USD equivalent for a small order. There was a time in my life when tips were very important to me. Time to give back.

At the gas pumps I tip a few pesos-5. That´s if they wash my window. If they wash my windshield when it is already clean and completely ignore the back window which is thick with dust and bird poop, I give them a couple pesos and tell them they´ll be given a bigger propina the next time if they actually pay attention to which window needs cleaning.

When the guys at Costco ask if I need help, even though they can see I only have about 5 small items in my cart, I usually give them an "are you serious?" look and laugh. They usually end up laughing too since they can see the obvious absurdity of it. If I have a big bag of dog food, yes, I´ll accept the help and tip 5 p.

When your maid works her butt off at your house for 50 pesos/hr, and most wait and store staff get paid about 20 pesos-30/hr. I can´t really understand why many gringos think that tipping someone less than 15 or 20 pesos for 3 minutes work loading the groceries is somehow cheap. It also promotes the already too prevalent idea that gringos have money to burn. But hey, if it makes you feel good.....

I actually had 2 waiters chase me out the door onto the sidewalk once to tell me that "the tip wasn´t included in the bill, you know" when I had purposely left an insultingly small tip, because the service was atrocious.

I do like to give the seniors who voluntarily bag groceries at Mega for tips (they get no salary) 10 pesos. They´ve paid their dues, (one guy told me he was 84), they´re STILL working, and are not just looking for handouts from gringo pockets.

11 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I don't think anyone has accused anyone else of being cheap. We all are just explaining why we tip what we tip. Your explanation is just as good as mine. 

Absolutely. Was just giving my opinion and reasoning. I wasn´t saying anyone was accusing anyone one being cheap, was suggesting that those who tip high consider themselves cheap if they don´t. Like Computer Guy said above, those Costco guys are making a tidy haul. Maybe more than the construction workers who slave away all day carrying buckets of cement up a ladder in the hot sun.

You gotta give an "A" for effort. The car wash guys at Walmart always make me smile when they never fail to ask me if I need my car washed -- in spite of the fact that I just came from getting it washed at a real car wash or lightning is filling the sky and it is getting ready to rain. Sometimes I will have them wash my windshield and back window if it is needed and  tip 5 to 10 pesos, or 15 to 20 pesos if the windows are particularly dirty. I also have a friend who I take shopping frequently who needs an electric cart that she drives to the car when finished shopping. There is a nice guy who walks along with us to help put the groceries in the car (who is almost twice my age and half as fit) and then drives the electric cart back to the store -- the latter which is a much appreciated service. I usually give him between 5 to 10 pesos, depending on the amount of groceries. Riding the cart back to the store is not very grueling, but I do appreciate that assistance rather than having to leave my friend alone while I do so.

Great thanks...  appreciate the opinions...most on par with what I do. 

I had a funny experience my last trip to Costco the back end one, Joco way..tipped the man 20 pesos, was not really that much, and I did all the cold items..took no more than 3 minutes, I gave him 20 pesos and a huge gracias and he just looked like..hmm..I felt bad though I frequently give 20 to them and sometimes 40 if I have a real lot or heavy items, and they do it as I request.  I am not supposed to lift anything heavy so if alone I utilize the workers there.

I have a guy at Walmart I use all the time, my purchases there are small a few bags but I say yes if he is there and tip 10 pesos or if I am feeling fortunate 20 pesos. 

I only tip for gas if they do something more than pump the gas, like clean my windshield or such. 

Baggers in stores usually at least ten pesos....my kids were baggers.  LOL.

Tips range from 10-20%, all depends on service, despite continually being told it is 10%..

Irritating window washers who spray my window after I wagged my finger,and said no and they sprayed it anyway , nada. 

Beggers uh..depends on my mood, usually no pesos, maybe a candy or such..

Anyway thanks all , and this was a pleasant response to a possible hot topic..LOL. 

I don't know what the range of tips from Mexicans in Guadalajara might be, or other big cities like Monterrey or Mexico City. I do know that the parking lots at the malls and box stores are full, full, full any day of the week, just like back home: as if no-one actually has to work, and has money to burn. I have been told repeatedly that this country tips far less than its NOB counterparts.

My feeling here is that at lakeside most of us over-tip, and have for a long time, and so it is quite expected. (The same with labour rates: they are way out of line compared to the thousands of communities that are not overrun with expats. And so, once again, the workers expect more.) And it is very easy to give, when by comparison we have so much. But it does ruin it for everyone else who doesn't have the money and is now expected to show largesse like the expats.

The reports that continue to show an average daily worker wage of between 50 and 65 pesos are not made up: they are based on whatever research is available in this country. So a bagging person who gets 5 pesos from every person during an 8-hour shift is doing pretty damned well, and probably as pointed out above making more than a heavy constrctuion labourer mixing concrete down the street from your place.

Is there an answer? I don't see one.

The obvious answer is to quit that back breaking labor and become a bagger, if in reality they are making a killing. High paying jobs of any sort always, in the long run, attract enough workers to keep anyone from making a killing. Supply and demand.

Archived