Chapala.com Webboard

TRAFFIC SPEED BUMPS-clearance

JONA

Hi, bringing my Chrysler handicapped van down on a move to Lakeside. There has been some question about the ride height of vehicles clearing  rough streets or - I call them "speed bumps" to slow traffic speed in places like parking lots. Any idea about how high these things are?

Thanks for your help. Jon

There is no set height for these topes, and there is quite a variety of styles. Some are steel balls embedded in the pavement; some are low, smooth, wide concrete bumps; some are high, short, annoying strips, and some are like "watchout" bumps. You should be fine 90% of the time, but once you determine for yourself what your van can handle, you can have the muffler raised probably a good four inches, like I did in my Buick Allure, at several local shops, for a very small price.

Ironically, most of the parking "lots" lakeside have no speed bumps at all... just the highways and neighbourhoods.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

There is no set height for these topes, and there is quite a variety of styles. Some are steel balls embedded in the pavement; some are low, smooth, wide concrete bumps; some are high, short, annoying strips, and some are like "watchout" bumps. You should be fine 90% of the time, but once you determine for yourself what your van can handle, you can have the muffler raised probably a good four inches, like I did in my Buick Allure, at several local shops, for a very small price.

Ironically, most of the parking "lots" lakeside have no speed bumps at all... just the highways and neighbourhoods.

Topes[spead bumps] are all over the roads in Mexico except the toll highways. You will find them in every town and  overnight as a surprise when somebody decides to open a fruit stand in front of their farm.Only a few will give you trouble with 6 inches of clearance.

People with extra low clearance vehicles slow down, then stop at topes that they know they will not clear, then slowly drag their vehicle over them with a scrapping sound and some at a 45 degree angle and apparently with no damage to the undercarriage of their vehicles.

We have a 2016 Honda Fit and the road clearance is 5.31".  We have had no problem with any tope from Chapala to Jocotepec except the newest one at the entrance to Super Lake Grocery Store.  We have to take that one at an angle and very slowly but we don't drag bottom that way.  Really don't think you will have a problem with the clearance that you have stated.

7 hours ago, JONA said:

If there are some of these road topes 6 inches tall then I'm in trouble.I have a conversion van but the stock height was only 5.4 inches clearance. We can clear the bumps here in North Carolina. Jon

7 hours ago, JONA said:

Thanks so much for the information. My van is fit to handle my power wheelchair so switching vehicles is not an easy option.Jon

I think a bigger issue will be finding suitable parking space to load or unload the wheelchair...Lakeside is very wheel chair unfriendly

It's a combination of clearance and wheelbase.   5.4 on a mini is no problem but as the wheelbase extends you need the angle to shorten the impact.  I'd check out lift kits before coming here.   While someone had one for 500 pesos I think I paid about 3-thousand usd for a total lift, front and rear, on a jeep.

I had my Triumph TR4 IRS raised 2.5 inches by the tire shop on the libramiento on the recommendation of my mechanic. They were very careful and the job is unnoticeable. I don't remember the cost but not memorable. No more problems with topes. San Juan Cosola was the worst.

My, three row, normal, Chrysler mini-van has a hitch on the back for towing so the ground clearance is a bit more shallow. The only problem I've had is backing out of driveways and the hitch hitting the street, which occurs here in Mexico and in the USA as well. I've never had a problem with tope or speed bump clearance even when the van is fully loaded. Hope this helps.

Steve

Archived