Chapala.com Webboard

Windows 10 auto update deleted Power option

Oldyfeliz

I recently OK'ed   Windows 10 Update 1607.  A long time to download., plus a long time to install.  In the past if I clicked on lower left taskbar an option to "Shut down , Restart, Sleep(?)".              NOW, I do not have these options & the only way to shut down is with the Power Button on unit.  In doing this the reboot posed no problems.

Any answers or suggestions

This is a known bug with that build. The next build fixes it (but does not fix the "safe to remove USB device" missing message from the lower right corner of the taskbar). In the meantime, you can right-click on the Start icon and select "Shut down or sign out >"

The build that fixes it at the moment has only been released to the so-called Insider ring. I imagine it will be a general-release update in a week or so.

Deleted

This happened to me as well but I found that by right clicking on the windows logo to the left of the taskbar the options will reappear, as Computer Guy mentioned.  Previously the left click did that and the right click showed the list of programs and one with think there would be an option somewhere to choose your preference but no such luck.  its just a little frustrating when things change like that.

The other thing that happened to me was that the battery notification icon disappeared and that can also be restored by clicking on the little chevron in the notification area of the taskbar, which is to the right, then choosing Settings>Notification Area (scroll down a bit)>Select which items appear on the taskbar, and you will see all the toggle button you can turn on or off if that happens to you as well someday. 

I was updated automatically to Windows 10. One morning it was just there without any prompts. Have had no problems with it and it is easy to maneuver through the changes from 7 which i had. Mine has a button on the lower bottom left that takes you to a lot of links. One is POWER and when you click that you have 3 options,,,SLEEP, SHUT DOWN, RESTART. No problem.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is a known bug with that build. The next build fixes it (but does not fix the "safe to remove USB device" missing message from the lower right corner of the taskbar). In the meantime, you can right-click on the Start icon and select "Shut down or sign out >"

The build that fixes it at the moment has only been released to the so-called Insider ring. I imagine it will be a general-release update in a week or so.

That is the Problem that I am having.... I suppose the START Icon is in the left corner of the task Bar   ...Right Click or left click produces no little box as in the past..     Only way to shut down is the power button

One major complaint from users is that every time there is a new build, some basic settings are reverted back to defaults (such as the Settings > Notifications for some items). With the latest pre-release build, Microsoft says they have done away with most of that. They have not: in particular, one might notice that the User Security settings always revert to the maximum. Very annoying.

The power options have been a major annoyance since the beginning of Windows. Why they feel a need to make you click two or three times just to shut down or sleep, is beyone me. Over the years, many little tools have been devised by others to help bypass this. With Windows 7, you could at least tell it which option was the default (such as Sleep). No more.

But, the windows logo/Start button has never acted as a Power option: you must click it first to open the Power menu.

4 hours ago, Oldyfeliz said:

That is the Problem that I am having.... I suppose the START Icon is in the left corner of the task Bar   ...Right Click or left click produces no little box as in the past..     Only way to shut down is the power button

It works with a right-click on those builds that have lost the Power options. Most definitely. If you have to use the physical Power button on your computer, you are missing something. On laptops (and towers) you can also choose to make the power button a Sleep button...

win10Start.png

16 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I was updated automatically to Windows 10. One morning it was just there without any prompts. Have had no problems with it and it is easy to maneuver through the changes from 7 which i had. Mine has a button on the lower bottom left that takes you to a lot of links. One is POWER and when you click that you have 3 options,,,SLEEP, SHUT DOWN, RESTART. No problem.

I have Windows 10 for a while & then the update of windows 10 was offered and now the problem

Ever wonder what those legions of young nerdy software programmers who can´t get a date do for fun on a Saturday night? They sit around and devise totally pointless "improvements" for the express purpose of befuddling all computer users past the age of 40, I´m sure of it.

"Hey Dexter, how about we move Sign Out from the upper left hand corner to the upper right hand corner?"

"Yo dude, high five. Wanna take bets? I give grandma 2 weeks before she stops having to search for it for 10 minutes every time. Hey! Stop bogarting the Cheezies, man."

Lol, you are right on Mudgirl. Another thing to watch for with the auto updates is they seem to enjoy resetting your personal privacy configurations back to the Windows default options. They also seem to enjoy installing apps that track you "socially". Its a good idea to go back and check your settings after each update and look for any new installed programs and apps. Evernote was the last to appear in Outlook, but with no where to go to uninstall it. , by the way, Big Brother IS watching and he has a piece of white tape holding his glasses together.....

Who else but a nerd would name his search app after drapery (Cortana) who came back to life on the last update on my computer...Thought I had buried that bioche.

Archived