Chapala.com Webboard

Disapponted

giltner68

Here is San Miguel hotels full, Mexicans and expats by the thousands are celebrating. Videos here of the celebrations. 

https://www.facebook.com/sanmigueldeallendemx/

Viva Mexico

Sonia

18 hours ago, giltner68 said:

Did I miss something, or am I just disappointed without cause?

This is the Mexican independence day, El Grito Dolores, is there so little interest in the Mexican culture surrounding you that no one offers even a whimper, much less a "scream"? I've not seen a single mention of it on the forum. Is there no interest in the Mexican culture that would provoke at least a single "Viva Mexico"? I moved to Chapala in 2007, have so many things changed? - even SOB that no one feels the need to recognize the patriotism of those who fought and died for this cause? 

You're worried about used car dealers, eye glasses and peso rumors - really serious stuff.

Homer Simpson D'oh.gif

why is everyone apologizing to someone who lives 100's of miles away? someone who is starting trouble? why justify your life? i have never celebrated my own independence day. that was the week to get out of the city, away from the crowds. same w/memorial day weekend. some mexicans feel the same way, they close the gate & lay low untill monday. what is the big deal? the webboard is whatever you want it to be.  

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Giltner, do you honestly believe that those of us living here needed a post from you to draw our attention to the holiday? That before you posted we were unaware, uninvolved, disinterested, unknowing? Without you here we would not even know there was a holiday? That is quite an ego you have. You are obsessing about and misinterpreting a whole group of people because we didn't do something you seem to have decided is the only way to prove we are a part of the community in which we still live. According to you, we need to post our feelings about the holiday on a web forum or we don't have any? 

Perfectly said, Xena, but I notice Giltner isn't backing down from his profound observations. And he's in Texas now? Not even here to attend the many celebrations gringos are welcomed at by their Mexican neighbors...?

Lexy

31 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Is this thread a joke?

Guiness, I wish it was.  I can't believe that someone who doesn't even live here anymore has the nerve to tell us that we're being apathetic about a holiday that isn't even ours officially.  That would be like me being disappointed in Americans living in Canada that don't fly Canadian flags, and show their patriotism to Canada on July 1st!

If Gitner had actually been here, he would have seen many gringos and Mexicans celebrating side by side, instead of hiding away behind their computer screens.

Rather than attacking Giltner, I would like to thank Giltner for all the help he provides the lake Chapala community each day, much more than most of us do. Many of us go to his web page one or more times per day. You ought to take a look. It is www.chapalaweather.net.

Thank you Giltner

31 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

glitner is fooling around. this topic was not posted w/good will in mind. when cinco de mayo comes around i hope he remembers to celebrate in texas. right glitner? 

Perfect,the Cinco de Mayo celebration invented by Corona for their US market to sell beer, is really hot in Texas and California. Only Puebla really does it in Mexico because of a significant battle there where the French were defeated soundly in 1862.

15 hours ago, Hud said:

I hear you, gitner68, definitely a change from years past.

Hud, I'm curious.  What is it, exactly, that you "hear" -- and presumably endorse -- from giltner68's posts:

- that the expats residing at lakeside today (unlike, say, in 2007 when glitner68 moved to Chapala) have little to no interest in the Mexican culture that surrounds them?

- that the lack of posts from today's local expat community concerning the ongoing Mexican holiday festivities somehow conveys a dishonor to our Mexican "hosts?"

- that posts covering the topics of local used car dealers, local eye glasses providers, and the falling value of the peso are unworthy of this board (which should instead be dedicated to the Mexican holiday)?

- that true patriots -- of which there are now apparently too few -- are defined by the act of proudly waving Mexican and American flags?

How insulting, and without any provocation.  Really?

Actually, MexSeekin, I was referring to people like you, in my post for gitner68, FYI, although it really was none of your business. Remember, curiosity and the cat !  :D

I did not know that the correctness police required I post something, I haven't been ordered to do anything like this since I was in elementary school. "What did you do over the summer vacation" type thing. How judgemental, critical and demanding is this anyway? Nobody needs to explain to him why they did not post nor does anyone need to feel guilty.

42 minutes ago, Hud said:

Actually, MexSeekin, I was referring to people like you, in my post for gitner68, FYI, although it really was none of your business. Remember, curiosity and the cat !  :D

Okay, Hud.  I don't really get it, but fair enough . . . .

I do regret not making more clear in my last sentence that it was giltner68's comments I found insulting, not yours, though I was curious about which of giltner68's comments you were endorsing.  In any event, it's not important.

luvsdawgs, i usually like glitner. seems hes become somewhat self rightious in his older age. not to worry, there are many of those here. they can all apologize & patronize each other. i prefer the sad holidays, like day of the dead & mexican funerals.  

Archived