Chapala.com Webboard

Used Car Dealers

TelsZ4

• 3 years later...

Hi:

I will be moving to Ajijic in a short time and am looking for a used SUV that it is obviously in good condition.  I am selling my 2009 Prius, which is in very good condition.

I originally wanted to bring it with me because it is all paid off and in very good condition, but there was a loud NO from every place I found, so I had to let go.  After the let down, I realized that a Prius would not be a good car for the streets there, so I ended up feeling much better about it.

Can you share with me what you have in stock that might fit what I am looking for?

Thanks,

Sally Swearinger

38 minutes ago, Sally S. said:

Snip.......................

Can you share with me what you have in stock that might fit what I am looking for?

Thanks,

Sally, not to sure who that might been directed to, but you have responded to a 3-year old Post so don't expect much response from your question.

In another thread here I did see that there were 2 Honda CR-Vs for sale by a guy who also runs a car wash at Lakeside. His cars are usually very good. Also, there is a place called S&S Auto who is very reputable. He has both used vehicles and can/does act as a 'dealer agent' for car dealerships in Guadalajara.

• Like 1

For here, the Honda CRV is excellent.  It rides high enough to get over the topes easily, it can take the bad roads well, it carries a lot yet gets good gas mileage.  Based on the current exchange rate gas is over $4 per gallon here so that is a consideration.  The mechanic in Riberas, Autochek, is an excellent and cost effective place to get the car serviced.  The car wash guy in Riberas has two nice ones at the moment.  He brings cars in from the Yucatan that have the advantage of not being beaten up by the bad roads here.  Even so, expect to spend more on tires and suspensions than you would NOB.

New cars are quite pricey and there is little dealing.  It is predicted the peso will top 20 again this winter so if you are in the market for a car your dollar will go further at that time and you could get a price break on an end of the year model.

22 minutes ago, elevator said:

Their is a used car place called The Alamo. It is without a doubt the least expensive and best way to view hundreds of used cars. It is about a 30 minute ride on the way to Guad.

I am not sure if it is the least expensive place to buy , if latter you find it has been stolen...but it is a great place to spend a whole day kicking tires..be sure to wear a big sun hat and take plenty of water..

.if you see a car you think you would like to purchase I recommend you take along a Mexican buddy and then get it checked out by a mechanic...what you see is what you get.

A few dealers there have legit autos for sale, but mostly  private individuals  and wanttobe auto dealers.

Interestingly  for a city the size of Guadalajara there are not many good used cars available

Keep in mind that most cars on used car dealers's lots have all been detailed with engines cleaned, so it is difficult to know exactly what condition it is by looking at it. Many have also had their odometers rolled back. When we went with Spencer to look at cars, he would sometime point out how a car, showing 65,000 kms had evidence of a 90,000 km service in its service booklet. Buying from a new car dealer is a good option as they usually keep the 'good' cars for themselves. 

We are still very happy with our 2006 Honda CR-V. After 8 years it is still in great shape , with very little repairs needed.

Pete

Just now, peteben said:

Keep in mind that most cars on used car dealers's lots have all been detailed with engines cleaned, so it is difficult to know exactly what condition it is by looking at it. Many have also had their odometers rolled back. When we went with Spencer to look at cars, he would sometime point out how a car, showing 65,000 kms had evidence of a 90,000 km service in its service booklet. Buying from a new car dealer is a good option as they usually keep the 'good' cars for themselves. 

We are still very happy with our 2006 Honda CR-V. After 8 years it is still in great shape , with very little repairs needed.

Pete

That was one of the best CRVs made.  Very strong, more so than the newer models.  We had a U.S. plated one I had to give up.  Wish I had it back.  Our 2012 is a nice car but just not as tough as that one was.

Used cars are not a great value here, especially with the taxes added. New cars are the way to go, especially with the exchange rate at present. I saw a 2016 Honda HR-V (Epic model) for $280,000 with 72000k at Dalton Honda. A NEW one is only about $90,000 more. 

Also be sure that the mechanic who checks your  possible purchase inspects under the carpets for evidence of flooding.  There are many vehicles in Mexico that have been "under water" and a good detail will remove most evidence, but under the  carpets you can see the evidence 99% of the time.  There may be no problems with the car for a short time, but eventually   there will be corrosion  in the wiring & sensors that were under water.

I took a friend with me to the Alamo, who has lived here 25 years and is fluent. He is also a good mechanic. I bought a 2013 Rogue with 21,000 kl., in excellent condition for $8,700. We drove it to a nearby mechanic, put int on a lift and my friend agreed it was a great deal. The seller had all the paperwork. It was a one owner and had new plates. If you are smart and prepared you can get a better deal there than from anyone in Ajijic.

• 1 month later...

To update this thread:

The most widely recommended for car rentals and purchase is Antonio Degolado 331 804 8070. He gets in cars weekly.

I rented a Honda Fit from him for a very very reasonable price (compared with airport and local Lakeside alternatives).

I purchased a 2016 Nissan Note with 30,000 miles/50,000 km. There were minor things to be done to ready the car for sale—all at his expense. Easy to work with, Jalisco plates, will help you find insurance and register the car—one-stop shopping and easy peasy.

Personable, accountable, communicative. The best!

Chapala Liz

39 minutes ago, Lakeside Liz said:

To update this thread:

The most widely recommended for car rentals and purchase is Antonio Degolado 331 804 8070. He gets in cars weekly.

I rented a Honda Fit from him for a very very reasonable price (compared with airport and local Lakeside alternatives).

I purchased a 2016 Nissan Note with 30,000 miles/50,000 km. There were minor things to be done to ready the car for sale—all at his expense. Easy to work with, Jalisco plates, will help you find insurance and register the car—one-stop shopping and easy peasy.

Personable, accountable, communicative. The best!

Chapala Liz

His name is Antonio REGALADO. He can be found on FB doing business under the name- r&r new and used cars and car solutions

Yes, he is very good to work with whether renting or buying.