Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex Internet

tycobb1020

Remember guys.  you can ask for a money discount in the monthly invoice if you report the time (hours or days) you were "in blank" (with no service).

16 minutes ago, doberwoman said:

Remember guys.  you can ask for a money discount in the monthly invoice if you report the time (hours or days) you were "in blank" (with no service).

Apparently MMV, as earlier this year there were many people in Ajijic with internet outage for several days. Most had service recovered in three days. I made several visits to the Telmex office and apparently our house was not among those in the first couple of waves that were restored. We ended up without Internet for six days. I asked about an adjustment in the bill and I was put off. I am fluent in Spanish and very culturally aware. I was very pleasant in my multiple requests and got nowhere. Oh, well...

40 minutes ago, tycobb1020 said:

My Internet has become very sketch lately. Would it make any sense to go to Telmex and get a new box to be sure I have the most up-to-date equipment?

Have you tried resetting your modem?

1. Use a pen or paper clip to push the Reset Button on the back panel of the modem.

2. Hold down for 5-10 seconds.

3. Release when the Power light turns Red.

4. Wait 5 minutes for modem to reboot.

This might help if web pages are slow to load because Telmex has sucky DNS servers and their ip addresses appear to be hard coded into the router and can't be changed if its a Technicolor model, and might apply to other models of the routers as well.   These steps apply to Windows 10 but should be pretty much the same for other versions.  This will only apply to the target device and will override the DNS entries in the router only for that device.

Go to "Control Panel" > "Network and Internet"

Under "Network and Sharing Center" click on "View network status and tasks".

Click on the entry next to "Connections" which should be the name of your Telmex router.

Click on "Properties" lower left.

Click on "Internet Protocal Version etc." to highlight it, the click on "Properties" below and to the right.

Under "Use the following DNS server addresses, change the two entries to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 then click on OK.  These are provided by Google and work quite well.

Hopefully that might solve the problem of web pages that are slow to load.

If you happen to have a router that allows for the editing of the DNS servers then the change could be made there and will apply to all devices that connect through it.

22 hours ago, Localgeekinajijic said:

Have you tried resetting your modem?

1. Use a pen or paper clip to push the Reset Button on the back panel of the modem.

2. Hold down for 5-10 seconds.

3. Release when the Power light turns Red.

4. Wait 5 minutes for modem to reboot.

I am going to try this . . . thanks.

20 hours ago, rjkveton said:

This might help if web pages are slow to load because Telmex has sucky DNS servers and their ip addresses appear to be hard coded into the router and can't be changed if its a Technicolor model, and might apply to other models of the routers as well.   These steps apply to Windows 10 but should be pretty much the same for other versions.  This will only apply to the target device and will override the DNS entries in the router only for that device.

Click on the entry next to "Connections" which should be the name of your Telmex router.

Click on "Internet Protocal Version etc." to highlight it, the click on "Properties" below and to the right.

Under "Use the following DNS server addresses, change the two entries to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 then click on OK.  These are provided by Google and work quite well.

If you happen to have a router that allows for the editing of the DNS servers then the change could be made there and will apply to all devices that connect through it.

Problem is not slow . . . problem is NO . . . the Internet lights just stops. 

On 9/16/2016 at 1:43 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Call TelMex suppport in Mexico City. 01-800-123-2222. Ask to speak to an English speaking person. This weekend is not the best time.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:43 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Call TelMex suppport in Mexico City. 01-800-123-2222. Ask to speak to an English speaking person. This weekend is not the best time.

I tried calling today . . . was on hold (I guess) for 20 minutes . . . can you help with how to get through to a person . . . which digit to push?  I have no idea what the Spanish message is saying.

The reason for the delay is because a WHOLE BUNCHA people were without Internet this week, for varying lengths. The rain seemed to knock mine out on Tuesday night for 12 hours or so... someone in north Riberas told me today hers was out for over two days.

When you can't get through to a support person on the main line, hang up, because that means all operators are busy dealing with people from all over. Forget getting any English assistance.

When you first get connected, keep punching "1" every time you hear a recording or an ad. Eventually you will get to a live person, and you can ask for English.

39 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

The reason for the delay is because a WHOLE BUNCHA people were without Internet this week, for varying lengths. The rain seemed to knock mine out on Tuesday night for 12 hours or so... someone in north Riberas told me today hers was out for over two days.

When you can't get through to a support person on the main line, hang up, because that means all operators are busy dealing with people from all over. Forget getting any English assistance.

When you first get connected, keep punching "1" every time you hear a recording or an ad. Eventually you will get to a live person, and you can ask for English.

Thank you sir . . . I will be patient. My Internet has not been out for extended periods, but the "Internet" light on the box just goes blank periodically, comes back and goes out again. Nerve racking!

Question: Is it worth going to the local Telmex office here in Ajijic for a new box or assistance?

The local TelMex office will trade your old modem for new. But it is not advisable to ask those morons anything. They couldn't care less... they are on pensionable time, and just waiting for the day.

BTW, flashing DSL and or Internet lights simply mean there is signal activity. Going off and staying off means nothing is coming through. The DSL light needs to be on before the Internet light can come on. In the case of some of the newer modems, the word ADSL has been replaced with WAN (Wide Area Network) on the modem.

On 9/15/2016 at 4:45 PM, rjkveton said:

I have Internet protocal version 6 and 4, which do I change?

Archived