Chapala.com Webboard

Hamburg 80/20

shirley

The carneceria across the side street from Soriana parking lot - big sign, Carneceria del Torro (or close to that name) is a family business and they offer fresh, lean stewing beef in chunks. Most of the time they have fresh pork bellies too. Ask for the skin to be removed from the belly, and then they will run everything through the grinder. Cook as hot as possible- meatballs, kebabs, burgers, meatloaf - it will be crispy/crunchy/roasty on the outside, and juicy towards the center. Very little, or no, seasoning required.

We routinely bought “comerciál“ gound beef at Soriana, which is 80/20 and made flavorful and juicy hamburgers.  If you do not see it in the case, ask for it and they will grind it for you while you shop.  They will also do custom cutting, if you ask, but you will need Spanish.

I am content with 80/20, because I don't like mine to be overcooked. 70/30 works well for medium rare and medium well done. The longer you like it cooked, the more fat content you should get (like 60/40), but when it's medium rare to rare, you don't cook it long enough for the fat to coagulate. And getting too much fat in a burger is just silly anyway. I also like a bit of ground pork for that extra zip of flavour, regardless of your spices.

The keyword is homemade. I think mixing the lean beef and fatty pork (where bacon comes from) makes a superior taste, especially as much of the beef here is pretty bland. But think how a restaurant would handle this - would they have to disclose that this was not 100% beef?

Archived