Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Calif. Plated Car Wdith Expired TIP To Border

ltaylor

I drove out of Mexico in September  2013  because my mother needed care. At that time I had my RT and a legal, up to date TIP for car but I failed to turn it at the border. I remained in the US and my RT lapsed but I flew down on Tourist Visas several times.. In 2015 I married a man with RP status and in March 2016  we drove the car across the border at Nogales.I intended to go to the border Vehicle Importation office and submit the sticker I'd failed to return, apologize profusely, show proof of both US & Mexican insurance, proof the car had been physically and legally registered  in the US from 9/2013 to the present and hope they'd cancel the original TIP and expected mo refund. I did hope they'd allow me to purchase a new legal TIP sticker. The border was unusually unmanned that day. I started worrying when 8-10 miles into Mexico we'd seen no obvious Vehcle Impofrtation Office but my husband drove on, telling me we would see it within a 40 or 60 mile zone. He agreed at 80+ miles that we must have passed it but drove on, saying we could easily take care of it back in Chapala. After consulting with experts in these matters I know that is not now true.. My car is deep in Mexico illegally, I need to return to the US border to remedy this-The 3-4 day Retorno Seguro pass is no longer reliably obtainable even by seasoned Attorneys; obtaining a legal sticker is not available to me from Chapala.. I am now living in California with no means of transportation. I can retain possession and use of my car only if I can drive it, illegally, through Mexico for 3 days. If I am stopped and the car impounded, it will be lost to me, But it is lost to me now. and I have no choice. I've read these blogs. I understand there are people who say they can do this: they know where to drive, when to drive. I need their help, Does anyone  know who might help me? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Driving it out yourself is the best option - nobody else can do this for you because the vehicle is clearly illegal and as you say, getting a Retorno Seguro AND letter of permission letter together for someone else is a real hassle.  The only force that MAY stop you and ask to look at the TIP are the Federal Police - but they would likely need a reason to want to check and that is highly unlikely unless you are doing something wrong.  The military don't check this kind of thing, they are looking for other things.  Just play it cool and if you do get asked, just say you are heading to the border to remove the vehicle from Mexico which is not a lie and they will probably let you go on.

The only other thing you could do if you are uncomfortable doing this is to have it towed to the US for you - moocho dinero!!! 

Take you chances and you could find yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of check points and the legality of my car has been checked several times.

I suggest you junk your car and by one here, most likely you will never been able to import a car into Mexico again, and frankly they are right, enough of illegal cars and people not obeying the regulations

Drive it to the nearest and quietest border crossing..tis can be done in less than a day..once in Texas then head to Calif. Low probability of being stopped..Just in case take a pocket full of Peso;s, drive carefully and leave very early in the AM..Shortest and quickest route has been posted by "Maincoons"..

We chose to apply for the Retorno Seguro pass which clearly stated our departure window comfortably after the 3-4 week wait time. Copied everything in the application inc the courier receipt. In the event we were stopped, we were adequately prepared to prove we had adhered to the law, just not in possession of a letter.  Left after waiting 5-6 weeks! No problems except for having to back-up at the TIP Permit booth to get it removed & retrieve our Receipt.

12 hours ago, Bontekoe said:

Take you chances and you could find yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of check points and the legality of my car has been checked several times.

I suggest you junk your car and by one here, most likely you will never been able to import a car into Mexico again, and frankly they are right, enough of illegal cars and people not obeying the regulations

Curious. Was this in that beautiful Jag convertible with Mexico CDMX plates and papers?

" I understand there are people who say they can do this: they know where to drive, when to drive. I need their help."

Actually there is no one who can do this any better than you can do it. There is no silver bullet that someone else has...

Having said that, I'm with Ezzie and Hook-em. There is a VERY remote chance that you will be stopped FOR THIS REASON but if you are, like someone said 'be cool' and tell them you are driving it out forever. Saying that you might be stranded on the highway without a car is, IMO, not a reality that anyone can show proof that has ever happened. Like Hook'em, I've driven out many (15?) times over the last few years and rarely get stopped at those military stops and never to discuss a TIP. When you do cancel the TIP at the border, I wouldn't hold out much hope that you would get the deposit back on your Visa card but sometimes wonders never cease....

2 hours ago, RickS said:

" I understand there are people who say they can do this: they know where to drive, when to drive. I need their help."

Actually there is no one who can do this any better than you can do it. There is no silver bullet that someone else has...

Having said that, I'm with Ezzie and Hook-em. There is a VERY remote chance that you will be stopped FOR THIS REASON but if you are, like someone said 'be cool' and tell them you are driving it out forever. Saying that you might be stranded on the highway without a car is, IMO, not a reality that anyone can show proof that has ever happened. Like Hook'em, I've driven out many (15?) times over the last few years and rarely get stopped at those military stops and never to discuss a TIP. When you do cancel the TIP at the border, I wouldn't hold out much hope that you would get the deposit back on your Visa card but sometimes wonders never cease....

7 hours ago, mkshawn said:

We chose to apply for the Retorno Seguro pass which clearly stated our departure window comfortably in advance of the 3-4 week wait time. Copied everything in the application inc the courier receipt. In the event we were stopped, we were adequately prepared to prove we had adhered to the law, just not in possession of a letter.  Left after waiting 5-6 weeks! No problems except for having to back-up at the TIP Permit booth to get it removed & retrieve our Receipt.

I may try this, if I understand correctly. TY

Sorry but have to disagree! You have no Proof that the car is out of Mexico. No deposit on record so not an issue, we just removed the TIP & requested a receipt to PROVE that the vehicle had been removed. Many photographs where taken of the car's vin no's etc. Big Smile & we were on our way! Contract Closed!

12 hours ago, mkshawn said:

Sorry but have to disagree! You have no Proof that the car is out of Mexico. No deposit on record so not an issue, we just removed the TIP & requested a receipt to PROVE that the vehicle had been removed. Many photographs where taken of the car's vin no's etc. Big Smile & we were on our way! Contract Closed!

I have to agree with this position about the TIP.  Stop and have it removed and cancelled in your computer record. IF YOU DON'T, 'they' will have on record that you have a TIP car IN Mexico and you would/will never be able to get another TIP, on that or another vehicle. AND, keep the receipt you get 'forever' taking it to the border with you IF you ever return and try to get another TIP. Having that receipt saved a friend's bacon when they tried to re-enter a couple of years after leaving in another car.

I/We always try to err on the side of caution, hence the application for Ret Seg + a Receipt. We are both Res Perm so not an issue now. Really never enjoyed the drive so we have always flown home. I had read or heard stories about stamps in passports, receipts for TIP Removal etc. Got stopped flying out without a stamp in our passport, all alternate records in the planes belly, cost use $2400mxp ouch but cheaper than another 2 tickets. We learn these life events thru experience! Hoping??

• 3 months later...

I am in a somewhat similar (at least end result) situation, and this thread has given me some comfort.

I have a question about specifics. I generally cross at Cd Acuña, but I had thought to go through Laredo this time, figuring I would be one of many, and less likely to attract attention. I see the mention of ¨choose a quiet border crossing,¨ which is certainly much more Cd Acuña than Laredo! Can you tell me why a quieter one would be better?

Couple of questions:

1.  At the point the sticker is removed, has anyone been asked for their Retorno Seguro letter?

2.  If not, has anyone had their expired sticker questioned or been detained at the border when getting it removed?

Admittedly one is taking some risk by not following the TIP rules and deadlines to the letter as this country really does everything they can to discourage driving non Mexican vehicles here.  Gotta keep those car "dealers" happy!

In 18 trips to and from the border we have never had anything to do with our vehicle checked, before and after we switched to a Jalisco plated car.

I drove my car for three years without a sticker at all, let along an expired one.  Got stopped by transito and Federales--no problem.  Drive your car to the border, have your sticker removed and get a receipt.  They will not fine you for having an expired sticker.  Keep your receipt FOREVER and you can import that or another car in the future.  If not, no more imports for you.

I, too, have made many (10-15?) trips 'to the border' driving. Many times it is in a vehicle that I have just 'purchased' and was taking out of Mexico. Half the time the TIP was invalid due to the previous owner (name on TIP) had changed to Permanente or they had failed to renew it with their Temporal. In those cases I always have the owner get a Retorno Seguro (it used to be fairly easy to obtain from SAT Guadalajara).

Only once have I been asked or challenged about a TIP.... that was on the bypass of Lagos de Morino where a local policia stopped me "because I was not wearing my seat belt properly". He asked to see my TIP paperwork and claimed that it had expired... in other words the date on the paperwork was long past expiration but we all know the date doesn't get changed when a Temporal & TIP get renewed annually. I briefly 'argued' (he was looking for mordida IMO) but since I had required that the owner get a Retorno Seguro to safely remove the car from Mexico, I then showed the cop the very official-looking document. I truly do not think that this bumpkin knew about it, but it was REALLY official looking and had my name/visa info/US Passport picture on it to boot. With this, he just gestured and told me to 'git' and that "I should wear my seat belt properly in the future".

So it can and did happen. I basically won't drive a vehicle to the border without either a Carta Poder giving me a right to drive or a Retorno Seguro. YMMV

Unless things have changed, TIPS were based on passport numbers.  

You can renew a US passport at any time for no reason.

A friend of mine drove out with a TIP and didn't get it removed.  Then she bought a new car and tried coming back.  Got stopped at the border, no TIP because she had one.  I had her get a new passport (3 days and about $150) and then it went through easily.

Don't know if this still applies but probably does

Archived