Chapala.com Webboard

Rhubarb and Dill

mexpat06

I have bought dill plants at the vivero alongside Telmex.  Not the best.

I also got some last year at the Tuesday market.  They were seedlings and grew well until the huge downpours last month.  They drowned. It is difficult to grow dill here but it can be done.

I have never seen rhubarb here.

The vivero next to Telmex was selling rhubarb plants. Many people have had great success growing it. Several viveros sell dill but dill has a long straight taproot and it doesn't like to be transplanted.  Laura at the Garden Store next to Electroventa sells dill seeds.  LCS has dill coming back every year. It will reseed itself. 

I ordered some sub tropical variety (there are two types available) rhubarb seeds from Australia - that was about a month and a half ago, shipped international airmail to avoid xray. The iShop man said it once took 4 months for a letter from Australia. I will order again, still international airmail, but packed as normal business transaction jiffy/bubble pouch, including an invoice. The company may have left out the invoice, and if opened by customs, they would just throw it away.

Dill will just "bolt" in this climate, northern varieties of rhubarb would bolt, mildew and root rot in this climate. Mind you Joco is a master gardener - she could stick a toothpick in the soil, and it would grow to be a tree!

There is a Veggie Growers group here in town, anyone know how to reach them?  This quote off a Facebook Organic group, anyone know how to reach these fellows?

Pete Jarvis and George Radford both are growing rhubarb by the bushels. Pete has his in the half rubber barrels on his roof in the full sun and some in the ground in part shade. I think George has his in the ground. Pete is the one who brought all the starter plants to the last meeting. He has them growing everywhere.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Dill will just "bolt" in this climate, northern varieties of rhubarb would bolt, mildew and root rot in this climate. Mind you Joco is a master gardener - she could stick a toothpick in the soil, and it would grow to be a tree!

I wish I was that good.

I haven't had a problem with dill. There are a few members of the Organic Veggie Growers group grow rhubarb very successfully. I haven't done too well with it.  I think it is the soil. Anyone who wants to grow rhubarb needs to ask those growers about the soil they use.

Try getting seeds from the Chinese. They come by regular mail to your house or PO Box in 5-6 weeks. I haven't noticed that they are X-Rayed. The only problem is sometimes the seeds are not what you ordered but they are so cheap it isn't a big deal.

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/seeds.html?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=n&isViewCP=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160912143023&SearchText=seeds&blanktest=8

Archived