Chapala.com Webboard

Charlottes (where Tequila Gaucho was)

mhopkins2

My wife & I just had a wonderful dinner at El Fogon. I, the mahi-mahi fish & chips. Her the chamorro(pork shank). Both were great. The chamorro is probably enough for 2 people to make tacos out of. The fish & chips were 10 times better than the ones from that other restaurant on the west side, not far from Roberto's. We will definitely go back. They deserve to be given a chance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other day I ordered two orders of chamorro to go. I was told just how to reheat at home, as I was there a bit early for lunchtime. Sauce was put in a separate container, sealed so it wouldn't leak. Rice packed separately, too. (Alas, the corn tortillas were forgotten.) It all worked out beautifully and the chamorro was nicely done. Leftovers, too, and the dog got the bones. A very pleasant place.

Lexy

Four of us went yesterday (Wednesday, 30 November) for lunch about 1pm.  While the food ranged from poor/okay (underdone fries, overcooked corn on the cob) to very good (the "main" dishes....mahi fish, vacio, chamorro), the service was really bad.  Not the server/waiter, the timing of the output of the kitchen.  There were only three other occupied tables with two people at each, two of which were taken when we arrived.  So it's not like the kitchen was slammed with orders.  

Because we've all lived here a long time and are used to there being a "lag time" from ordering to food arrival, the four of us ordered our drinks and food at the same time.  Drinks arrived promptly and the first lunch (fish and chips) arrived in a timely manner, but after that it was all downhill. Probably 7 or 8 minutes until the vacio arrived, another 7 or 8 minutes until the chamorro (a special of the day) arrived, and then another 5 minutes or so until the ribs arrived.  So by the time the ribs arrived, the person having the fish and chips was pretty much done.  Thank heavens we're a hungry lot who don't wait for everyone's meal to arrive before digging in.  

i worked in the hospitality industry for years, including in food and beverage, so my expectations are pretty low, but this was particularly bad. If nothing else, the server should have come and explained the hold up and offered a free drink or some botanas.  Something.,  Anything.  

Doubt any of us will be back and we certainly won't be recommending to friends.  

The ribs were tough and the corn on the cob was old, tough, and way over cooked.  I ordered a clam chowder soup bowl to go.  It was packaged well - soup in a cup and separate from the bread bowl.  However, the soup was very thin with very little clam or potato and extremely salty.  I ate 1/2 of it because I was starving, but threw the rest away.  I won't be going back and have told friends not to bother.  So sad because I really like Lori.

Archived