Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Charlottes (where Tequila Gaucho was)


mhopkins2

Recommended Posts

The restaurant opened today and except for this coming Monday will be open Tuesday through Sunday, 9am to 8pm.  They will begin serving breakfast at 9 and pizza starting at noon.  For dinner, my wife had the chicken salad which was to large for her to complete.  It was good with plenty of chicken.  I had the mahi mahi fish & chips (bass is available) for 110p.  The fish was very good but the breading was a bit thick.  I picked up a piece and was left holding hollow breading as the fish fell out.  It was served with cole slaw that was somewhat soupy and fries that had been cooked some time earlier in the day.  They serve BBQ ribs but I didn't see anyone with them so don't know how the quantity compares with Adelita's.  They serve steaks but all are listed over 200p.  I don't mind paying a higher price for meals if the quality is there.  There was only 1 other table of customers and no one had ordered steak so no report here.  I might return to try the pizza but would not order a dish that comes with fries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a fabulous dinner at Fogon Charlotte ( I think that is the correct name?)  this evening. We both had the BBQ Ribs,  and LOVED THEM.  Beautiful meat, great sauce, corn on the cob, very fresh tasting.  Try the ribs, I think they are the best around.  Yes, the steak prices are what they are.  Next time, rib eye steak for me!  Lets give this place a try before we criticize, ok?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mhopkins2 said:

The restaurant opened today and except for this coming Monday will be open Tuesday through Sunday, 9am to 8pm.  They will begin serving breakfast at 9 and pizza starting at noon.  For dinner, my wife had the chicken salad which was to large for her to complete.  It was good with plenty of chicken.  I had the mahi mahi fish & chips (bass is available) for 110p.  The fish was very good but the breading was a bit thick.  I picked up a piece and was left holding hollow breading as the fish fell out.  It was served with cole slaw that was somewhat soupy and fries that had been cooked some time earlier in the day.  They serve BBQ ribs but I didn't see anyone with them so don't know how the quantity compares with Adelita's.  They serve steaks but all are listed over 200p.  I don't mind paying a higher price for meals if the quality is there.  There was only 1 other table of customers and no one had ordered steak so no report here.  I might return to try the pizza but would not order a dish that comes with fries. 

 Bass or basa?  Not the same thing at all although I have heard a local restaurant tell patrons that basa is bass.  Basa is catfish from the Mekong River.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We went to Lake Taco the other day. Lori and Carlos were not there and when I asked about them I was told that the new restaurant that was Tequila Gaucho is actually their restaurant. Will go next week to support them. They are wonderful people. Hope they do well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, pattya119 said:

We had a fabulous dinner at Fogon Charlotte ( I think that is the correct name?)  this evening. We both had the BBQ Ribs,  and LOVED THEM.  Beautiful meat, great sauce, corn on the cob, very fresh tasting.  Try the ribs, I think they are the best around.  Yes, the steak prices are what they are.  Next time, rib eye steak for me!  Lets give this place a try before we criticize, ok?   

He gave a very reasonable critique of what he actually experienced.

As for bass vs basa, at Me Gusta (sp?), I asked our waiter if the bass on the menu was bass or basa, and was assured it was sea bass. I have good reason to say I didn't believe him, based on being outright lied to time and time again in local restaurants about this fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

He gave a very reasonable critique of what he actually experienced.

As for bass vs basa, at Me Gusta (sp?), I asked our waiter if the bass on the menu was bass or basa, and was assured it was sea bass. I have good reason to say I didn't believe him, based on being outright lied to time and time again in local restaurants about this fish.

I have had a friend of Mexican origin who lived and worked in the U.S. for many years refer to basa as "oriental bass."  I see that basa is the most common fish sold at Walmart.  I think most people have no idea that basa is a catfish from one of the most polluted rivers in the world.  Because the names are so similar it's easy for restaurants to pass it off as bass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yum...:wacko:....these descriptions make me want to order the bass.....NOT!  And yes, the price of the steak sounds too high, especially if the sides are mediocre,  As far as ribs go, I think that any restaurant in town will have a hard time beating the quality and price of Adelita's ribs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, the ribs  at Adelitas have never impressed me, but I do like other items on their menu.  The ribs I had at Charlottes were much better, more flavor, more meat, and better sauce.  And I do wish Lori and Carlos the best!  As far as the steak prices,  I think that before we complain about prices, lets see if they are worth the price!  I hope to try the ribeye this week, and I will let ya know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pattya119 said:

Personally, the ribs  at Adelitas have never impressed me, but I do like other items on their menu.  The ribs I had at Charlottes were much better, more flavor, more meat, and better sauce.

I thought the ribs at Adelitas were perfectly cooked, and it's the only place I've ever been given a full rack around here. BUT their marinade, their rub, and their sauce left a lot to be desired, so I agree that the flavour should have been a lot more enticing.

This new place's price for a ribeye is on par with Tango's current price for a large ribeye... jumped 100 pesos over the last year. I still think Tango has the best ribeye around, but I'm not sure if such a price hike is warranted or, for me, worthwhile. I should probably say yes, based on purchasing quality steaks myself at butcher shops this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2016 at 6:29 PM, ComputerGuy said:

He gave a very reasonable critique of what he actually experienced.

As for bass vs basa, at Me Gusta (sp?), I asked our waiter if the bass on the menu was bass or basa, and was assured it was sea bass. I have good reason to say I didn't believe him, based on being outright lied to time and time again in local restaurants about this fish.

Even "sea bass" isn't sea bass!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been trying to make reservations at Gaucho Tequila for several days with no answer.....luckily, I read this post and discovered that they were no longer open and Charlotte's had taken their place.  Now what do I do???  It was my job to make reservations for a luncheon for 20 people and they were about to arrive at the now defunct Gaucho Tequila!!!  I got in my car and went there early and asked if they could handle such a big crowd on such short notice.  Lori told me not to worry, they could do it.  Tables were set up and the starving hoarde arrived.....Lori and her crew did a terrific job!!!!  We all got served in a timely fashion and everyone enjoyed their food.  I had the ribs and agree with the poster who prefered them to Adalita's.  Several people had the pizza and claimed it was the best they have had Lake side.  The hamburgers were well received and the arrechera salad looked fabulous.  We all thought they did a wonderful job for their first few days in business and we will all go back again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Róbalo is sea bass.
  I doubt that many waiters know the difference, and that their employers are satisfied that they do not know.   Not many restaurants have róbalo, but you can ask.

Robalo is Snook, not what is often called "Chilean Sea Bass."'  which is actually a species of cod since the name Patagonian Toothfish doesn't sound very appetizing to many!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ribs are 145. Have had better at Adelitas and Arilaos.  Hubby had the burger, just ok, over cooked bun was a little soft, 110 pesos, a little pricey. Love the couple but changes may be needed.  Ribs come with corn on the cob, but no butter or seasoning , standard broccoli and carrots steamed with no seasoning.   The road noise is loud as it was before and inside is not real inviting.  I wsh them the best and hope they make it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

110p for a burger? Whoa.

Update:  Recently I had a $125p burger at Adelita's. It was worth it, considering the huge size of the burger, the large side of excellent fries, and a pile of crunchy onion rings... not to mention a portobello mushroom and a big whack of blue cheese (cooked inside the double-giant patty). And it was presented highly stacked with a green chili and tomato wedge towering above. So...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.




×
×
  • Create New...