Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala lifestyle vs. NOB lifestyle

joanne

Chapala has a small IMSS clinic, many people are regularly sent to the nearest IMSS hospital which is about 30 mins away in Tlajomulco de Zuniga, a smallish sized town between Chapala and Guadalajara.  Different expats have had different experiences in the Chapala clinic, some claim that the clinic does not seem extremely welcoming to expats.  I have not heard of expats complaining about the hospital in Tlajomulco, though.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eligible because of disabled VA, posted yesterday on this topic

http://www.mexico-insights.com/articles/default.aspx?p=comp&a=health-don.xml

I'm interested in lifestyles. How is a lifestyle in Mexico superior to other places of the world, many places I have not lived in? More affordable - check. Mild climate - check. Does Lakeside attract people who are not afraid of new things, new foods, new adventures, are these people more interesting to talk and relate to.

OK, I know nothing about Tri Care but the article linked described the official VA program. I am a disabled veteran due to amputation, have lived in Mexico for 15 years and was told by them only covered for that issue.

Always willing to learn new facts.

I know nothing about U.S. healthcare. I wonder though, how Don Adams got cancer in the line of duty? Perhaps stoking radium rods into a nuclear submarine reactor?

A joke I heard this morning:

I can count the number of times I have visited Chernobyl on one hand ..... that's seven times.

So let's think about this. You served in VN but now you live in Guatamala and the VA is going to pay for whatever healthcare you need? I don't think so but I'm always willing to listen and learn. Maybe that's why the vets IN the US are getting such poor care.

29 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Wishful thinking.

There are no VA Clinics or VA hospitals outside of the USA or its territories.

Thank you RV, I knew you would weigh in. I have no idea what Tri Care is, perhaps an insurance plan that DVs can buy into? Hopefully it's not some illegal scheme whereby treatment is rendered in Mexico and then billed as received in the US. Some of that going around.

Best wishes in your new digs.

There was a clinic in Ajijic maybe 5 to 8 years ago open to all who would pay. I remember people saying  or posting that they would accept Tri-care. I have no idea about the accuracy about what was posted or where the clinic is now. But it is no longer where it used to be on the North side of the Carratera in Ajijic.

Not the easiest verbiage to understand but it appears to apply to active duty military dependents and retired military with at least 20 years of service. I saw nothing about disabled people. It does indicate there is a way to get compensation for treatment overseas through the Wisconsin intermediary.

9 hours ago, Cookie said:

My memory  is hazy but didn't Vetteforum go to what I THOUGHT was a clinic helping vets  several years ago?  Wish I could remember more details.   He was always in some sort of bruhaha.

Gringohombre had issues with VA on hip replacement fairly recently:

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/62640-need-crutches-and-my-ongoing-fight-with-va-healthcare/#comment-494616

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/63000-hip-replacement-options-in-texas/#comment-497532

Since I see VA programs being discussed, I'll mention one similar to TRICARE that perhaps a person or two here would be eligible for but don't know about: CHAMPVA. It applies only to survivors (would be mainly widows) of *100% service-related disabled* veterans. My late MIL was covered so I'm familiar with it NOB but not how to handle anything billed in Mexico. Here, IF a treatment and/or meds are accepted by Medicare and its supplements, CHAMPVA covers the balance. Usually, a provider accepting Medicare will do the billing directly, but you do need to sit down and give the contact info (just uses your SS#) firmly and explicitly to the billing desk. We found Walgreens would not do this for prescription med co-pays so every 10-11 months I'd have them print out the list and total of her purchase out-of-pocket charges, fill out a one-page form to the VA, mail it (certified with return receipt postcard is a good idea) to the address in Denver; checks in the $1000-$1500 range would follow within a month or two. The program has a statement also that charges beyond $3000 annually will be covered if you're uninsured, no Medicare or private coverage, etc, but perhaps outrageously high costs or experimental, non-approved situations wouldn't be.

Here's a link to one of the online links for the program: http://www.va.gov/PURCHASEDCARE/docs/pubfiles/policymanuals/champva/chapter3/1c3s1-2.htm 

From there: "G.      CHAMPVA-Foreign claims are paid at 75% of the VA allowable unless the catastrophic cap has been met." There're other mentions of processing claims in foreign currency, and translating foreign languages causing delays but being acceptable.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, johanson said:

There was a clinic in Ajijic maybe 5 to 8 years ago open to all who would pay. I remember people saying  or posting that they would accept Tri-care. I have no idea about the accuracy about what was posted or where the clinic is now. But it is no longer where it used to be on the North side of the Carratera in Ajijic.

I bet that's what I'm remembering.

OP: I just arrived back here after being gone 3 years. I like it more now than I did then because i wasn't retired 3 years ago, had to work alot. The last time I was here I spent 2 years in the city GDL, and then about 4 months in Ajijic. After living in GDL for 2 years, I experienced what I called alot of price gouging in Ajijic, but it also had some definite advantages AND YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. However, it wasn't the village for me. Great to visit there, many good things to do.(for me)

I rented this time in Chapala town and I am very happy in this location because i will probably work some and there are more opportunities for that here. If I did not have to work anymore at all, I would probably live in Jocotepec. Each little village has its own flavor, so there is something for everyone's preferences. 

My rent is 3500 pesos. It is a 2BR lovely furnished upper. When I arrived I went to the Amercan Legion right away. I was beat from the road and wanted a beer. Never had that beer because I got so much help finding a rental, that 1 hour later I was in the apartment. That's right, I arrived and one hour later I had a very nice place. I have always rented from Mexicans down here and in GDL. Out of all the experiences, I had just one Mexican landlady from hell. Happens anywhere.

I came from Santa Fe/Taos New Mexico. At he sunset of my career, I was laid off, my unemployment went for rent, gas and car. I wasn't even able to afford food and had to rely on Food Banks. Here I can live comfortably on Social Security. I am grateful, because after working 2 careers NOB, in the end, I would have been a welfare elder. 

Viva Mexico!

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:49 PM, Cookie said:

My memory  is hazy but didn't Vetteforum go to what I THOUGHT was a clinic helping vets  several years ago?  Wish I could remember more details.   He was always in some sort of bruhaha.

MY BAD!!!   it wasn't Vetteforon...it was Prorader

Archived