Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala lifestyle vs. NOB lifestyle

joanne

Am considering relocating to Lakeside after a lengthy absence. Of course I would need to take a trip down there and see things for myself first, but

was wondering just how things have changed there over the years in the following categories:

1) The cost of renting. From what I can see by looking at the websites there, the cost of renting does not seem to have increased dramatically over the years. Am I correct in this assumption?

2) Healthcare. I have VA healthcare here in the US (free because I'm a disabled vet). There I would need to purchase health insurance. Am over 60 with

no ongoing issues except taking 3 blood pressure meds and a statin daily. I've read where private health insurance in Mexico has gone up considerably in recent years. Any truth to this?

3) Crime. It appears that the three or so years when crime was very bad there seems to have " leveled off" again. Is this basically correct? Do most people feel relatively safe now vs. a few years ago? Is just petty crime the most prevalent?

4) The cost of neccessities, utilities, etc. I know gas is quite pricey now but as I walk wherever I can this is not an issue. How much has LP gas, electricity,

telephone and TV cable gone up in the past few years?

5) The cost of flying back to the US. The airfares seem pretty high from NOB to Guad. I read where more air routes between the two countries were in the process of opening up and thus decreasing the cost of flying from the US to Mexico and vice-versa.

Any help/advice from those living there for several years or more would be appreciated. I know there's only so much you can learn from a forum like this one

without making a visit beforehand.

One last thing. If you spend 6 months of the year or less there can it be done with just an FMM (tourist visa). Will it be harder to rent properties without a 

Residente Temporal?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you eligible for Tri-Care?  There is a clinic here that bills Tri-Care for services.  Everything has gone up a little but nothing a lot except food that is dependent on coming from the US, like corn, etc.  Restaurant meals are up but it depends on where you eat out.  Crime is up and down as usual.  Not much person to person crime but break-ins are happening.  But you have some control over that.   You can come on a tourist visa and I don't think your rental owner will care.

Good renters are extremely difficult to find. Lots of stagnant rentals on the market, and the prices are down, down, down. The trouble is that the landlords are often reluctant to update and maintain these properties. You can negotiate a long term rental if you offer help or cost sharing with maintenance. The President of Mexico has pledged that all seniors (over 60), even foreign born, can have access to the Seguro Popular hospitals, all preconditions accepted. The government is dumping truckloads of pesos into the system. This where you need Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente. Visitor visas would only be eligible in case of extreme emergency. The Seguro Popular public hospitals in Guadalajara are supposedly the best in Mexico, and cover a great many surgeries, treatments etc. The whole system is triage based, those most in medical need, and likely to have a successful outcome. A successful outcome depends on your Spanish skills, or hiring a bilingual medical companion. Solid private medical insurance, from companies in Mexico, will be about $4 - 5,000 U.S. per year, per person - with rate hikes up to 20% per year.

The big question you left out, is whether you have a vehicle, and can travel to the lower cost (but beautiful) rentals, or try to walk everywhere in Chapala or Ajijic, taking the occasional bus or taxi. Disabilities are a challenge here, but only you can know if this is going to work.

Another change to consider, since you last visit, is that a great many new senior care communities have sprung up. All levels of care are offered - they seem extremely affordable to me. Do you like to be alone, or have bunch of other active seniors to break bread, and break wind with. Hope that made you laugh!

5). You didn't say just how long a 'lengthy absence' was but....

Yes, airfares are up from several years ago. I used to fly 1-stop to GDL from Denver for around $300 round trip. Now I am paying just a little less than that for one-way non-stop ticket unless I 'catch a bargain or book waaay in advance'. Although I haven't priced a RT ticket lately I think they are running in the $400s.

Having said that, there are more Mexican 'low fare' airlines who are flying to GDL non-stop from several places and 1-stop thru DF, and that is expanding as we speak. Many Mid-western and a lot of western locations, plus Miami area and New York in the East.  Volaris, Interjet and ? 

.... and of course the GDL airport is just 30 minutes away from Lakeside via taxi for (currently) about $25 US.

Health care: I have Tri care and have found the medical help here excellent... 

Travel: We just made reservations for 2 to fly to Seattle at a round trip cost of $824 USD. That is a non stop with Volaris... US airlines are about $150 more and include stops in route.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Good renters are extremely difficult to find. Lots of stagnant rentals on the market, and the prices are down, down, down. The trouble is that the landlords are often reluctant to update and maintain these properties. You can negotiate a long term rental if you offer help or cost sharing with maintenance. The President of Mexico has pledged that all seniors (over 60), even foreign born, can have access to the Seguro Popular hospitals, all preconditions accepted. The government is dumping truckloads of pesos into the system. This where you need Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente. Visitor visas would only be eligible in case of extreme emergency. The Seguro Popular public hospitals in Guadalajara are supposedly the best in Mexico, and cover a great many surgeries, treatments etc. The whole system is triage based, those most in medical need, and likely to have a successful outcome. A successful outcome depends on your Spanish skills, or hiring a bilingual medical companion. Solid private medical insurance, from companies in Mexico, will be about $4 - 5,000 U.S. per year, per person - with rate hikes up to 20% per year.

The big question you left out, is whether you have a vehicle, and can travel to the lower cost (but beautiful) rentals, or try to walk everywhere in Chapala or Ajijic, taking the occasional bus or taxi. Disabilities are a challenge here, but only you can know if this is going to work.

Another change to consider, since you last visit, is that a great many new senior care communities have sprung up. All levels of care are offered - they seem extremely affordable to me. Do you like to be alone, or have bunch of other active seniors to break bread, and break wind with. Hope that made you laugh!

Just my input here, I highly doubt the Seguro Popular Hospitals in GDL are the best in Mexico.  They may be okay but basic and you need someone with you, etc.  Your spanish needs to be good. 

Many private hospitals are wonderful.  Care for health care is much cheaper than NOB except some medications which actually are more. 

The cost of everything has pretty much tripled here in15 years, so bear in mind that it has not stayed stagnant and has gone way up in cost of living. 

AS far as the cost for health care, for me, with Medicare and a supplement NOB, it has Always been much less expensive NOB, including prescription meds. Most retires will have both of those available to them NOB, but neither available here. The care that I have received NOB is far superior to what I have received here (YMMD). I am a firm believer what works for one does not always work for others. I know what works for me, but I cannot know what will work for you. Good luck. BTW, I am here 6 months and NOB 6 months, on a Tourist Permit, since 1999.

31 minutes ago, Oldyfeliz said:

I doubt that Seguro Popular Hospitals are the best.  IMSS & many Privates are considered better

Are there IMSS clinics in Chapala and Jocotepec and an IMSS hospital in Guad? I read where they sometimes give poor service to the non-

Mexicans. Any truth to this?

1 hour ago, joanne said:

Are there IMSS clinics in Chapala and Jocotepec and an IMSS hospital in Guad? I read where they sometimes give poor service to the non-

Mexicans. Any truth to this?

I haven't tried IMSS but from what I hear from friends, IMSS is excellence and really cheap.

I have Seguro Popular which is free but haven't needed it.

A lot of the doctors here work for SP or IMSS part of the day and a private hospital the rest of the day.  Same quality either place.

I've found the medical care here as good or better than NOB and a lot cheaper.  Medicine I have found cheaper than NOB retail prices.

I think you get the same quality and service no matter who you are.  

18 hours ago, RickS said:

Yes, airfares are up from several years ago. I used to fly 1-stop to GDL from Denver for around $300 round trip. Now I am paying just a little less than that for one-way non-stop ticket unless I 'catch a bargain or book waaay in advance'. Although I haven't priced a RT ticket lately I think they are running in the $400s.

Check Volaris.  For over a year now, Volaris has non-stop flights to Denver for under $300US.

I clearly wrote that Seguro Popular Guadalajara (4 hospitals) is rated by an overview committee from Mexico City as the best PUBLIC hospitals in Mexico, and they are improving on that base because they have attracted a great many private benefactors. Their "Mother" hospital, started in 1758, is an artistic and architectural masterpiece, now crammed full of the latest equipment. I am under the impression that IMSS hospitals are very politicized, but I have no idea how that affects patient care, but I doubt they attract any private benefactors. Attracting private and corporate benefactors is the backbone of many of the PUBLIC healthcare systems, even in Canada.

Good renters are simply those who earn your peace of mind, that things will be cared for, have references from others, etc. This is even more of a factor if you are an absentee landlord. I know of a few instances where property owners, after finding a good tenant, ask for no rent at all, just ask them to pay frac. fees, gas, minor maintenance on the understanding that at some time in the future the owners will return to occupy that property (waiting for pension, etc.). This also avoids any potential hassle with Mexican or U.S. tax people.

Joanne - check out the private senior care communities here. They seem full of fun and interesting people. You arrive with a suitcase, and leave with a suitcase at any time you want. Vetteforron, and his Mexican wife, a nurse, have a few such communities. Humans, left on their own, often lose their appetite, and don't eat as much or as healthily as they should.

Catbird:  Lakeside Medical Group on the carreterra lakeside in Riberas... 766 0395

To sign up bring your military ID... Coverage is somewhat less than in the states but very doable...Meds are covered...

We maintain our Medicare /Tricare in the states also as a backup...

23 hours ago, joanne said:

Am considering relocating to Lakeside after a lengthy absence. Of course I would need to take a trip down there and see things for myself first, but

2) Healthcare. I have VA healthcare here in the US (free because I'm a disabled vet). There I would need to purchase health insurance. Am over 60 with

Disabled vets get free healthcare here:

http://www.mexico-insights.com/articles/default.aspx?p=comp&a=health-don.xml

You would not qualify for IMSS as you have pre-existing conditions (high blood pressure and cholesterol meds disqualify you).  Seguro Popular covers all no matter what. There is a new SP hospital in Jocotopec that apparently is great.  But since we don't have SP yet, I don't know personally.  

Just a note on my very nice experience renting. I initially rented this condo thru a realty agency to whom I paid the rent, and who sent over repair people as needed and deducted the cost from the rent. After a year, I suggested to the landlord that I rent directly, with the understanding that I would take care of repairs as needed and deduct these from the rent. This has worked well for 5 years now, but note that I have a great landlord--not all are, by any means. In both situations, I have had a signed lease, which I feel benefits both parties. Every year, I sit down with the landlord and go over the condition of the condo, agree on the rent amount and repairs to be made (such as painting or roof work) for the coming year, and we sign a new lease.

less crime than chicago? thats a negative right there. which area is chicago? the one that has an average of several 1000 shootings in a year? not a good reccommendation. what you thinking? crime here is neighborhood based as it it anywhere. 

You asked about lifestyle. Beautiful sunrise this morning - but the power has been off all night. Us Chillins just enjoyed (part of) a take out fresh rotisserie roasted chicken, with sides of mashed potato and rice with mixed vegetables, for a ridiculous low price. Along with some Bohemian brown lager. Butterflies of all types. a ripe garden full of papayas, Persian limes, chili peppers of many types, the pomegranates are ripe  - the gardens in the hills have turned into a rather sordid orgy of birds and butterflies. The weather is mild, the pool, probably on the cool side (non-heated, no pool cover). Sunday mornings in this very Mexican town known as Chapala are magical. The pious, and their children, dressed up to go to Church. Everybody seems be enjoying a well deserved day off. It is like a weight lifted from their shoulders, no wonder there are so many grateful worshippers in Mexico.

Sometimes I get a craving for the far north, the few truly wild places left in the world. But for now - there is no place I can think of that I would rather be. Come on down, you are missing out on some serious good times. As per that article Mhopkins posted- Don Adams, now there was a character.  I never got meet him before he died - why -  because in the North there is always a bit more money to earn, an opportunity to uncover.

9 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You asked about lifestyle. Beautiful sunrise this morning - but the power has been off all night. Us Chillins just enjoyed (part of) a take out fresh rotisserie roasted chicken, with sides of mashed potato and rice with mixed vegetables, for a ridiculous low price. Along with some Bohemian brown lager. Butterflies of all types. a ripe garden full of papayas, Persian limes, chili peppers of many types, the pomegranates are ripe  - the gardens in the hills have turned into a rather sordid orgy of birds and butterflies. The weather is mild, the pool, probably on the cool side (non-heated, no pool cover). Sunday mornings in this very Mexican town known as Chapala are magical. The pious, and their children, dressed up to go to Church. Everybody seems be enjoying a well deserved day off. It is like a weight lifted from their shoulders, no wonder there are so many grateful worshippers in Mexico.

Sometimes I get a craving for the far north, the few truly wild places left in the world. But for now - there is no place I can think of that I would rather be. Come on down, you are missing out on some serious good times. As per that article Mhopkins posted- Don Adams, now there was a character.  I never got meet him before he died - why -  because in the North there is always a bit more money to earn, an opportunity to uncover.

Yep, Chillin, have to agree: life is rough here. Off to tough it out on the terraza with a pumpkin spice latte till Cowboys' kickoff. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, joanne said:

1) The cost of renting.  Right, cost of renting about the same from 4 years ago.

3) Crime.  I feel perfectly safe here, even walking around at night.  Womens`` experience may be different. I think violent crime has leveled off.  Petty crime has gotten worse, however - home invasions, thefts.

4) LP gas, electricity, telephone and TV cable have gone up maybe 25% in the past 4 years.

Yes, you can spend 6 months of the year or less here with just an FMM (tourist visa).  This can done serially.  I`ve never known of problems renting without a Residente Temporal.  Landlords don`t ask about residential status. To my knowledge it is not legally necessary to have residency status for renting.

11 hours ago, addtocart said:

Yes, as my Post said, " Now I am paying just a little less than that for one-way non-stop ticket.." That non-stop is Volaris.

Archived