Chapala.com Webboard

Things are looking up in Ajijic

jrm30655

I`m glad Chapala is finally able to buy new trucks.  The old ones are all falling apart.  Good to see the city is actually spending money on something useful for a change.

Wasn't it in the news in Guad Reporter that Chapala was trying to lease a bunch of trucks a few week ago?  Hope they read the lease contract about maint. and follow the rules. To be fair I can imagine what the Chapala DPW manager has to deal with.  I only hope they understand maint is part of the cost and needed to avoid contractual fines and such when the lease it over.  Our local truck garbage truck wouldn't pass a lease return up north laugh out loud.  I am sure its a low cost per month solution but is it the best long term solution?  I don't lease my cars  do you?  Funny feeling options are limitied and glad to see some new trucks around town including more modern police trucks. I don't claim an answer.

3 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Why not let people just enjoy it for awhile?

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

What does that mean, exactly?

Maybe he means the weather. It IS rather nice here.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

I read that they had bought some3 garbage trucks.  I certainly hope that is the case.

Oh, me too. The plight of  our brave "sanitation workers" is quite dismal.  According to one source, their income from the municipality is minimum wage, i.e., 70 pesos per DAY ( that`s a family living on 2,100 pesos per month).  They do also get some small return for the recyclables they redeem in Iztlahuacan at the end of the day.  But how much could that be?  For  comparison, on average, SWs make $36,000 a year (1800 pesos/day) NOB.  And our guys joke around while they work. They`re amazing!  I wish there was something we could do for them to return the enormous gift of their work do they for us every day.  Yes, a generous Christmas donation helps. But that`s once a year.  I wonder if anyone gives them Cokes during the day?  Maybe a once a year fundraiser?  They and their families must live in almost abject poverty yet they work damn hard and do a service that no one else will do and they do it well. I feel enormously grateful to them. 

We were in Chapala yesterday and 2 of these trucks were parked in front of the Municipo building. Very nice!

I give my "sanitation workers" a 100 peso tip every month and I think they are certainly worth it. There are 5 on the crew, so break it down what they each gets. This same crew has been servicing my house for over 5 years. Very reliable and they only miss when there are no trucks. I will probably get accused of "spoiling" them with tipping, but I think they are worth any tip I give them considering their low pay and how faithful they are year after year.

Who do you give the tip to, the driver?  They kind of seem like they`re the jefes of the crew.  I applaud your effort. 

I gave the man outside new work gloves the other day and the next day he didn't have them. That's OK. I give tips to the outside man and he gives them to the driver. At least that way the men know how much I gave. 

I also periodically give gloves to the men on the green truck. They use them

Archived