Chapala.com Webboard

Denny's at Holiday Inn Express

Ezzie

Stopped for lunch at the newly opened Denny's at the Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn complex just south of the Periferico & Chapala Hwy. junction yesterday.  It was their 1 month anniversary since opening and I wanted to see how they are doing.  Very pleasant surprise - the service was very good and the food quality excellent.  I'd rank it better than many Denny's I have been to NOB.  Typically familiar menu selections with a bit of a Mexican spin as you would expect in this market but with the salt & pepper and Heinz ketchup on the tables.  I had the Grand Slamwich ($129) and my co-diner had a half serving of the Nachos ($82).  The coffee was very good and the same endless cup as NOB.  We were both stuffed and happy when we were done.  Lots of staff - looks like they are still doing some training.  I'll be back.

Nope, Chili's is still there and attached to the Hampton Inn.  The Holiday Inn Express is new and has the Denny's at the front of it - all in the same complex/entrance on the west side of the Carretera.

This is a little off topic - but it does involve Denny's Guadalajara. My family was on vacation in 1974, and Denny's Guadalajara advertised an "American Thanksgiving Special". I still remember that it was terrible, a sort of Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday treat they would prepare in State prisons. Gay friends in Puerto Vallarta told me, much later, that this Denny's was a very popular meeting place for the Guadalajaran Gay community. It was clean, safe, open 24 hours a day, no macho drunks. It would be another 20 years before Gay orientated nightclubs were (barely) tolerated by local police in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.

Archived