Chapala.com Webboard

iPad Pro problems and Apple Plaza Galerias

RocketPossum

My iPad of some years having been stolen, I bought the 12.9 inch iPad at the Apple store in Plaza Galerias. Although I knew that extended warranties were usually not worth the price, I nonetheless bought the Apple warranty, Apple Care I think it was called. I expected the new iPad to be like my old iPad but larger. On using it, I discovered that the screen frequently froze and that on-screen buttons often did not work.

I took it back to Apple, which kept it for several days to run diagnostics. They then gave me what they said was a new iPad, though it had no box or documentation. It also froze up often. Given that I need to use the magnifier frequently, this freezing makes it almost worthless.

Two questions: Does anyone know anything about the screen-freezing problem? Apple has usually made good products. I am surprised by this.

Second, has anyone encountered problems of honesty at the store? The extended warranty is tied to serial number, and of course the “new” iPad, which clearly isn't, has another serial number. This is clearly unethical.

Thanks for any information anyone can give me.

The only time a "service provider" (read Internet) would cause a problem is with Web browsers, or with apps that require constant web access. The screen itself nor the icons should freeze. Unfortunately, I have not seen this problem so cannot make recommendations.

The Apple "outlets" at most of the malls may indeed take used items, but their purpose is to sell new. Every iPad, new or replaced, should have the serial number on the receipt, unless they were pulling a fast one; it's part of Apple's whole inventory management/distribution/warranty system. I have not heard complaints yet, but that means nothing.

One assumes the store either slipped you a mickey, or either you or they tried a soft reset:

Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider if it appears) after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content; it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

I am on my 3rd iPad. When mine freezes it usually means too many apps are open. Double tap the HOME button and swipe up on each open app to clear/close them. I usually need to do this 2-3 times a day. Always fixes the problem for me. 

If you are still having problems email the "go to Apple guy" here Lakeside Bob Mitchell who use to work for Apple. He can come to your house for a reasonable price.

realgoodmac (at) mac.com

I have reset a couple of time, both by button/pushing and going to iTunes. Didn't  help. On the web I find that many people have the same problem. Since it occurs on two iPads with widely different serial numbers, a manufacturing slip/up seems unlikely. That leaves either a badly written OS, which Apple would have fixed by now, or bad hardware design. My previous iPad, the nine-incher, worked flawlessly.

On 9/5/2016 at 10:54 AM, Lulugirl said:

I could be way wrong but I thought the store at Galerias was where people sold their  Apple products when they bought new.  There's an official Apple store at Andares.

There is no official Apple Store in Mexico, according to the Mac Store people in the Andares mall. They don't have a genius bar and any problems must be dealt with through the US - so I was advised to leave my device and they would send it out and I might have it back next week (Ha!), if the repair was approved. As it is under warranty and Apple Care as well, I was advised to wait until I got back NOB and the problem would be handled without question in a "real" Apple Store on the spot. This was not an IPad but I would assume the same thing applies to any device.   

Hall Microcomputers is a Guadalajara Apple Distributor and they do repairs, even picking up at Chapala twice each month.  I bought my iMac from them and they delivered & set up in my home. They have a website.

The best place to repair apple products is Hall Computers right at the Minerva. They do a perfect job and if you have warranty it covers it anyway with the serial number. The apple stores just send the products to apple and that´s it. Hall does the diagnosis right there. 

Archived