Chapala.com Webboard

Son to bring desktop computer for mom

Carka20

I doubt that he should even suggest that it is not his own.  He will probably get the green light and not have to do a thing. However, if he should get the red light, he should simply declare it as his used computer and pay the duty, if charged, which it might not be......unless he is also carrying a laptop, or more.

If you read the customs declaration card you will see you are allowed to bring in a computer. Go online to see read specifics or pick up a form at the airport, available in Spanish and in English. Maybe some reader has a copy they can scan and post here?

Since it seems to be a used computer I doubt there will be an issue. I have on a few occasions bought NOB and traveled with two computers, old and new. I have had both the red and green light when coming back with them. It was not an issue after a simple truthful explanation of why I had two computers. 

I think they still treat laptops and desktops differently.  The son is carrying an iMac desktop computer, which will be either a 21.5 or 27 inch screen, plus wireless keyboard and trackpad, etc.

SAT's current website on this says only personal computing devices count as exempt personal equipment/items:

1. "un equipo de computo portátil de los denominados laptop, notebook, omnibook o similares; "

This clearly rules out desktop computers.

When I have tried to bring in desktop computers, sometimes they allow them (wave them through).  Other times they have said NO WAY, even if I offered to pay duties or taxes.   In the worst example,  they refused to allow me to bring in an old 40 GB used hard disk drive,  because Aduana insisted that "esta es la ALMA de una computadora".

My Mexican wife unsuccessfully argued with for 20 minutes over this, calling over a supervisor.   Ultimately,  I gave up, and told them to keep the HDD,

So, all of the internet webboard advice in the world cannot tell you what will happen at the Aduana checkpoint.

You may sail through... or Aduana may charge you a 16% fee of the estimated value.... or they may confiscate it,

17 hours ago, snowyco said:

This clearly rules out desktop computers.

If the words you read "clearly rule out desktop computers", why would you persist to try to smuggle in these items? I thought you were the "law and order guy", beyond the fray of us other mortals.

Archived