Chapala.com Webboard

DOG/CAT POISONING REPORTING

Protocol change, due to the widespread locations of poisonings. It is safe to assume that Lake Chapala is a poisoning zone, with at least one killer if not more.   Do not report on this message board. Instead report to the Lina Doyle (information below), and contact the authorities listed below (contact information is in red below). Message board updates will continue on a regular basis, by those in touch with the authorities.  The public will be kept informed if any arrests take place.  Surveillance of the area is growing, and we are on our way as a community to ensure that our streets are safer from those who poison. Prosecution of those arrested, will involve a lawyer and consequences.  There will not be an easy out for offenders.

THERE IS A REWARD BEING OFFERED FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO THE PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR POISONING OF PETS.  That reward stands at $15,000 pesos.

Please do not speculate on the message board. Do not spread rumors that the dogs were noisy and it was likely an unhappy neighbor.  

Poisoned dogs have included leashed, unleashed, in home/in yard.

Those who have been charged of poisoning in the past, include expat and Mexican alike. 

ALL POISONINGS SHOULD BE REPORTED, NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE LAKESIDE.

Calling the police is not enough.

IF YOUR DOG HAS BEEN POISONED, DO NOT BURY/CREMATE THE DOG.  You must request that the poison be identified and remains frozen, until the police have finished their investigation. Dr. Ladron's animal clinic has the room for such storage.

Instructions as per meeting with government officials on dog poisoning.

There was an impressive array of officials including the President's office, Fire and Police, Ecologico, Ministerio Publico, and the Ajijic Delgado, Chuni.

There was much discussion about the difficulty of communication between the expat community and the Chapala government. People reported how they had left messages for the police and the officer in charge of Ajijic never got the message. After much discussion, it was decided that Chuni be the initial contact person to report any dog poisoning. His cell number is 33 1064 0814 (PLEASE PUT THIS NUMBER IN YOUR PHONE ), the Delegacion office is 766-1760 , email delegacionajijic@hotmail.com.

Chuni speaks some English and, in the event that he needs help, he will call Gloria Perales, liaison to the expat community, who was also at today's meeting. This designation was made so that there is a point person for us. Chuni will then report to the police and Ecologica but the buck stops with him.

To date we do not have empirical evidence of the kind of poison used. This is a major drawback and so, while we hope there are no more poisonings, we must report to Chuni should another occur. If the dog is dead, stay with the corpse and Chuni will have the police meet you. The area will be cordoned off and forensics from Guadalajara will claim the body. If your dog is alive, of course, rush to your vet but also call Chuni and give him the details.

At our request, the government has agreed to poll the stores that sell the poison and try to get information pointing to suspicious purchasers. The store operators will be told of the reward and be able to claim it if their information leads to the identification and capture.

Lina Doylewho speaks fluent Spanish, has been heading this initiative and has agreed to be the point person for communication should that be needed. Her email is linadoyo@yahoo.com phone numbers: 33 1350 4122 and 108-0525

Finally, ANYONE WHOSE DOG HAS BEEN POISONED, should report the details to Lina by email. Please include the date, location, description of dog and your name and contact information. There are some claiming that this is merely hysteria and no need to pay attention. WE NEED FACTS.

Thanks MEXLC, easy to read format.  Love it.  Suggest that everyone put these numbers in their phones as you never know.  Yesterday my friend found a piece of raw chicken in a disposable bowl on Independencia just west of Cinco de Mayo.  She got a plastic bag from a neighbor and brought it here.  Please note that we do not yet know if it was poisoned but it had that pinkish stuff that people have referred to.  

We immediately called Chuni and he came to the house to get the meat.  So far, the system is working.

I have put up posters around my area, as others have in their areas. Posters are in Spanish. I have given them to my gardener and maid also. Would appreciate if someone can "post the poster" online so that others can print it and distribute it to friends, neighbors, gardeners, maids, etc. Hope the d----- perp reads it and decides to check into a mental asylum!

The posters ARE in Spanish. Here is what they say. Please do share this with your maids and gardeners and friends!

$15,000 Recompensa

Informacion que lleva a la

CAPTURA

Del individuo que esta

Poison  (with symbol for poison here--skull and crossbones)

ENVENENANDO

A los perros de Ajijic

333 - 814 - 5970

331 - 350 - 4122

• 2 weeks later...

DOG POISONING UPDATE
There are now 6 registered with MP and up until yesterday protocol was not followed and the authorities have been difficult to communicate with. Accordingly, we believe there would have been many more. We now have Lic Mayra Ortiz who is coordinating our efforts and making sure that the case, which is now being taken very seriously by the MP, goes forward with the necessary paperwork.
The legal writs are being prepared to investigate the places where poison is sold; it IS a controlled substance. The dogs who have been poisoned will be exhumed and cause of death determined. 

Anybody whose dog was poisoned should add their complaint to the existing cases at the MP. Please let Lina Doyle know when this is done so that she can communicate with the attorney to follow up. Her number is 108 0525, email linadoyo@yahoo.com,

• 2 weeks later...

One of our neighbors on Zaragoza had 2 of their dogs poisoned IN THEIR GATED AND FENCED YARD. They will survive. They said it is believed that someone in the government is doing this to hasten the chances of gaining Pueblo Magico status. 

10 hours ago, tomgates said:

One of our neighbors on Zaragoza had 2 of their dogs poisoned IN THEIR GATED AND FENCED YARD. They will survive. They said it is believed that someone in the government is doing this to hasten the chances of gaining Pueblo Magico status. 

Tom, please encourage them to report this and to allow the authorities to take the bodies for toxicology reports.  Anything I can do to help.  Do they need a ride to report it?

11 hours ago, tomgates said:

That makes no sense to poison dogs that are in a fenced yard for that reason. I will not speculate on the government doing this. That would be horrible and make this situation even more horrible and disgusting than it already is.

The government has nothing to do with it..they have other things to do than walk the streets poisining dogs behind fences. Some sicko probably foreigner is doing it and people need to be on the look out. Mexicans will put rat poison out and dogs may get it when they investigate the rat or the food but they will not spend moeny or time walking around all over the place to poison dogs.Some sicko is on a mission and he or she needs to be caught and kicked out of the country.

You all know I think the local government sucks but really think it is over the top to suggest they are going around poisoning dogs.  Everyone is looking for one source but there could very well be two or more including the rat poison problem which is on going.  

We're walking down 16 de Septiembre to go to dinner and here comes some gringo genius with his dog off the leash and of course no poop bag and I ask him if he's aware there have been poisonings in the neighborhood.  He says "yes" and goes right on allowing the dog to run loose.

With some people you can't fix stupid I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two dogs lying on the lakeside of the carratera just west of where the Tuesday market is held.  One a black lab and a little west of that a beige dog in the grass.  No sign of being hit by a car both look as if they are sleeping.  Have been there for two days, maybe poisoned?

17 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Two dogs lying on the lakeside of the carratera just west of where the Tuesday market is held.  One a black lab and a little west of that a beige dog in the grass.  No sign of being hit by a car both look as if they are sleeping.  Have been there for two days, maybe poisoned?

Did you report it as instructed in an earlier post? Posting it here does not accomplish anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled onto this forum, is the poisoning still going on?  very disturbing.  Im surprised two dogs where lying in the same spot for two days and nobody looked into it. :(

Is it pretty easy for anyone to get into the gated communities to poison the dogs?  Makes me a bit nervous for when I move down there.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, I just can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone know whether the poisonings are more prevalent in certain villages or gated communities? Or is it an entirely widespread problem? We're looking at moving down with two dogs and, jebus son of binky, if someone poisoned them...well, look at Rambo Part I to get an idea of the carnage.

31 minutes ago, Sorn said:

Yeah, I just can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone know whether the poisonings are more prevalent in certain villages or gated communities? Or is it an entirely widespread problem? We're looking at moving down with two dogs and, jebus son of binky, if someone poisoned them...well, look at Rambo Part I to get an idea of the carnage.

If you don't let your dogs roam freely outside your own yard and you keep them on a short leash that will prevent them from exploring too far from you (and perhaps finding poisoned meat) your dogs should be safe.

The poisonings have mainly been in Ajijic.  I believe there weren't any during the rainy season.  Supposedly, it was a municipio worker, but I have my doubts.  IMO it was a snow bird.  Keep your dogs on a leash at all times and you may want a muzzle to keep them from eating something they find, even on a leash.

• 2 months later...

Just read today (Jan 22nd) on FB (Ivan Romero Garnica) about pet poisonings on the trail to el Tepalo, 2 more poisonings in the village, the person said he had already reported it to the FD and the PD and also the delegado. Be careful with your pets .

Archived