Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a Magic Jack

ComputerGuy

A senior customer of mine, now in Abbyfield, is in need of a new MagicJack for her kids and grandkids to call her. Anyone here got a used or a spare? I will provide her phone number. Many thanks. She can call out, of course, using TelMex's LD service.

Computer Guy:

I am leaving out soon from the states to return ton lakeside. I have considered bringing a Magic Jack, but last time I was there, I just used Skype, which seemed sufficient. Sometimes the video would crap out when internet was slow on either side, but I am wondering if you could tell me why Magic jack is great and just how it works. Guess you have to have high speed internet, then it is working off your computer and you have an American phone number, right?

I know this off topic from your post. 

Thanks, everyone. I will be in touch asap.

Virgogirl, basically people like it because you can pick an area code in your former hometown, or wherever most of your family resides. For example, if your kids are in Austin, you get an Austin number, and whenever they call you it is a local call for them. It's about $100 for five years. Even a slow Internet connection will support it, generally speaking.

I have a couple of MagicJack+ here that I no longer use as I cancelled my account.  I could certainly sell them if someone is interested BUT I was under the impression that once they had been activated on a number that it was not possible to change the phone#.  Is that true??

Computer Guy-Thank you. I went to Wally World here in the states and the Magic Jack was $35 for the equipment and 1 year of service. So after the service expires you just pay yearly? I did not see anything that 5 years of service was $100. It sounds like a very good deal in any case. So then you have Telmex internet and a landline and the equipment hooks into the landline. Do you then have a Mexican phone number as well as the Magic Jack number. Thank you ahead of time for allowing me to understand whether this investment is worth it for me. I'm thinking it is.

I used Vonage and Magic Jack. Magic Jack is less expensive and yes, you can get a 5-yr service agreement. However, Vonage provided such superior quality calls that I gave away my two Magic Jacks. Skype has improved considerably and I use it daily. This allows people NoB to call you. As far as you calling them, Both Telmex unlimited and TelCel ($100 pesos/25 days Plan 100)  now allow unlimited calls to all of Mexico, US & Canada (cell and land-line) allowing you to reach out very inexpensively. People calling in from NoB still get charged int'l long distance for calling you on your cell or home phone.   

On 9/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, virgogirl said:

Computer Guy-Thank you. I went to Wally World here in the states and the Magic Jack was $35 for the equipment and 1 year of service. So after the service expires you just pay yearly? I did not see anything that 5 years of service was $100. It sounds like a very good deal in any case. So then you have Telmex internet and a landline and the equipment hooks into the landline. Do you then have a Mexican phone number as well as the Magic Jack number. Thank you ahead of time for allowing me to understand whether this investment is worth it for me. I'm thinking it is.

Yes, one year comes with it when you purchase. As soon as you set up your account with it, using your PC, you are presented with an option to get an extra year or five years on top of your first year. But it has nothing to do with owning a landline number here; for that, you still deal with TelMex. Generally speaking, you have two separate phones; one is plugged into the MagicJack; the TelMex phone is plugged into your house's phone outlet.

NOTE that I bought an extra five years for my Mom five years ago. I tried to set it up the other day, and it was cancelled. They had given my number to someone else, it finally came to light. I was passed through two levels of support, and eventually told I had to also pay some kind of fee to keep it alive, but that fee was never made clear. They left me saying they would "look into it". Why did they cut me off? They never would/could say. When Magic Jack works, it is great. When you have technical problems or account problems, prepare to be frustrated. I have lots of stories about $%&/()ic tech support for MJ, and for Vonage.

Thanks for sharing those experiences, CG, it weighs in heavily.I'm not up for stuff like that.

I got by very well using free skype and maybe i'll just utilize that along with my TELMEX landline and internet which I had before with mostly good results.

Used Magic Jack adapters in the past cannot be reused unless something has changed.  I had too many problems with MJ so I bought Net Talk.  Four years is 100bucks or so. Wifes son has one with a california number and we have an oregon number.   His works fine in Jamaca where he is stationed now.  As CG says it doesn't take much bandwidth to run VOIP  (voice over IP) phone.  Having people call an Oregon number instead of mexico means they call more often we have found.  After having Net Talk for a second four year period we think very highly of the service.  Many people are happy with MJ also to be fair.  Vontage is the expensive VOIP phone but some say it has better quality but its too much money for me.  Wherever you move you just plug in your VOIP adapter into the internet modem. Your number doesn't change.  This is good or bad depending if you want folks to find you :-) :-)

Archived