Chapala.com Webboard

Sell your Vehicle at the border?

RickS

I sometimes buy vehicles at Lakeside and take them home to the US to sell.  Playaboy does the same when he is around. Others here will do the border-drive for you and wholesale you car at San Antonio CarMax, all for a fee. Here is a tale that I just read on a San Miguel forum that will show why some people just 'have someone else take over'.... this is NOT a Post to advertise services but rather just an eyeopener to some who might be thinking of 'doing it themselves'. It's kinda long winded so you might even want to skip reading it....

I just got back to SMA from a grueling trip to Laredo, TX, in order to comply with the law--and the form I signed when I brought my 2006 Ford Escape into Mexico two years ago--that barred me from selling the U.S.-plated car within Mexico. I had to take the car out of Mexico in any case, since I will be going to Residente Permanente and as such cannot own a U.S.-plated car in Mexico.

It's a 10-hour trip to Laredo (from San Miguel), IF there are no police checkpoints. Unfortunately, I ran into one on the divided highway that delayed me by an hour and a half; we crawled along at 6 mph or so for 10 miles...it was the worst traffic jam I'd ever been in, and it appeared to be completely useless, as there were no police manning the "checkpoint" when at last I reached it and could finally resume normal driving speed. 

I stopped at border Aduana/Banjercito to have the windshield sticker removed and my return of the car to the U.S. entered into the Mexican computer system. Unfortunately, I did not receive the refund of my $300 deposit, yet, and after talking to several functionaries was handed a sheet of paper with some phone numbers on it for other officials in Mexico City who supposedly can help me. So I still have to follow up on that.

Trying to sell a ten-year-old car is difficult. I went to about 15 used car dealers, from super-sized new-car dealerships (Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota) to little mom-and-pop lots with a dozen cars sitting listlessly on their lots, hoping for a buyer. Many of the the smaller lots simply were not buying anything at the moment ("It's slow, right now...."). A couple of them told me that my hoped-for price of $3,000 (similar models with equivalent mileage were selling retail for $5,000-6,000) was way too high, since they could buy a car like mine at auction for $1,500. Gulp. The giant Jeep/Chevy dealer actually offered me the tidy sum of $500! And that, after making me wait 40 minutes while they appraised it, ran down its history, and had me initial a dozen qualifications about the car. Sheesh. 

Finally, on day 2, I met with the used-car buyer at the Ford dealer, and after checking out the car from top to toe, he said that he could offer me $1,500 as a favor, that he would be breaking even, since he would not personally sell the car on his lot (limited to 2007 and newer vehicles) but sell it to a wholesaler at his cost. Needless to say, I accepted this awful deal, since I had no choice; I certainly did not want to drive the car back!

I was at Walmart this week, parked beside a nice black Infiniti coupe, later model, but in good condition. It had ONAPAFA plates. The car across from me had Neuvo Leon plates. The one next to it had Mexico District Federale plates. These were all very nice condition vehicles. The ONAPAFA plate guy came back, I was sitting the car reading my kindle, as is my habit. I asked him if he was from Nayarit. He said yes, how did I know? He spoke excellent English, and that his name was Alex. His mother lived in Ajijic, and he commutes regularly - he had dropped her off at Walmart. I asked him if he had been stopped by Federales. He said yes, near Guadalajara airport -they had some sort of digital device and they checked a number on his window. He explained how he was travelling to look after his (disabled) mother. Once the number cleared, he was told to carry on. I asked him if ever worried about getting his car impounded, etc., he said no - that about three years ago there were many rumours about a crackdown on replated foreign vehicles, but it never materialized, now their focus is stolen cars and smuggling. He said the government had to sort out this mess. I told him that there is an estimated 2.5 million foreign plated vehicles in Mexico. He was surprised that it was that high. I don't exactly know what my point is, but here was a (Mexican) man driving a $63 U.S. per year ONAPAFA plates, I'm sure he had liability insurance, for the past three or more years, regularly travelling from the coast to Ajijic, with no trouble whatsoever.

I definitely feel for that poster from San Miguel. I can´t understand why the Mexican Govt/ Aduana never considered how much money they could make if they had just set up a registry and offices for all those with foreign plated vehicles who went or are going permanente, charge us, say $2000US as a one-time fee, plus a yearly fee the equivalent of what we would have to pay for license fees if the vehicle was Mex. plated and let us keep our vehicles here. It would be a great source of revenue for the country ( the Mex. car dealers think all the gringos go out and buy brand new vehicles when they have to remove their foreign plated cars? Not, and the govt. and dealers see no $ from private used car sales) and I, for one, would have been happy to pay $2000 to keep my beautiful Canadian-plated car Honda CRV here rather than having to drive it all the way back to sell in Canada for $4000 CAN, when it would probably have lasted me the rest of my life, since it only had about 1000 K on it.

14 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I definitely feel for that poster from San Miguel. I can´t understand why the Mexican Govt/ Aduana never considered how much money they could make if they had just set up a registry and offices for all those with foreign plated vehicles who went or are going permanente, charge us, say $2000US as a one-time fee, plus a yearly fee the equivalent of what we would have to pay for license fees if the vehicle was Mex. plated and let us keep our vehicles here. It would be a great source of revenue for the country ( the Mex. car dealers think all the gringos go out and buy brand new vehicles when they have to remove their foreign plated cars? Not, and the govt. and dealers see no $ from private used car sales) and I, for one, would have been happy to pay $2000 to keep my beautiful Canadian-plated car Honda CRV here rather than having to drive it all the way back to sell in Canada for $4000 CAN, when it would probably have lasted me the rest of my life, since it only had about 1000 K on it.

That's too simple and logical.

Chillin- I was responding to Rick who was talking about doing it yourselfers vs. hiring someone to take car back and sell. My point is I would hire someone. I am leaving next week to return to the lake. I am bringing a 94 Jimmy GMC. I am coming in on a tourist visa and then having Spencer help me gain a RT-Lucrativo. Mine expired in 2014. I had to leave in 2013 for family stuff. 

Anyway, that's an old truck. BUT, I stuck alot of dough into it the last year. When it seems like it needs to leave the country, I would hire someone to take it to Laredo and sell/junk. I have had to think this through, but stories like Rick's tell me to use the help rather than drive myself nuts.

Virgogirl - we want to see you back here, you sound like a very interesting and kind person. So don't take this the wrong way - but no one wants your truck in Texas, Aduana is not interested, Transito is not interested, no one in Chapala is interested. Hang completely legal Mexican plates on it, liability only insurance for the driver, and run the beautiful old truck into the ground. I know it is full of so many memories, keep the memories and save a whole lot of money at the same time.

As Dude in The Big Lemboski says "it's like Lenin said, follow where the benefits go" stumble, stumble" Donny says "I am the Walrus" "Lennon sang I am the Walrus". And that bit of nonsense makes more sense than any of the customs or vehicle ownership laws in this country.

Chillin- thank you. yes, i know eventually no one will want it. so at some point i will have to take it out of the country and maybe donate it to someone if it is still puttin' along. But i don't understand how i could "hang completely legal Mexican plates on it" as you say, because i could never legally convert it. If I am lucky enough to get a Residential Temporal, then i can ride that wave awhile. I can only get that RT thru working as I do not meet the financials. I will probably never meet criteria for Permanente either, but never say never.

So I was thinking when the time comes, I'd have Alex the driver, a good acquaintance, follow me to Laredo, donate the thing or whatever it takes. Give me a ride back and then buy a donkey.:)

I'd like to drive it till it drops down there, but if I do, I'd have to pay boocoo bucks to junk it.

These things will all play themselves out over the years. I thought about coming down without a vehicle, but did want to bring my kitchen toys and clothes.

As far as an emotional attachment to it, no. not at all. In October last year, a garbage truck totalled my Tercel, and I bought this from a friend. It had a "mystery problem". Thousands of dollars later it is kinda remade, and so I'd like to get a little use out of due to the money input.

Thanks for your response.

14 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Virgogirl - we want to see you back here, you sound like a very interesting and kind person. So don't take this the wrong way - but no one wants your truck in Texas, Aduana is not interested, Transito is not interested, no one in Chapala is interested. Hang completely legal Mexican plates on it, liability only insurance for the driver, and run the beautiful old truck into the ground. I know it is full of so many memories, keep the memories and save a whole lot of money at the same time.

As Dude in The Big Lemboski says "it's like Lenin said, follow where the benefits go" stumble, stumble" Donny says "I am the Walrus" "Lennon sang I am the Walrus". And that bit of nonsense makes more sense than any of the customs or vehicle ownership laws in this country.

Yes Chillin, please tell us how to just hang completely legal Mexican plates on a US plated car, I went permanente a while back and still have a US plated car, and have been thinking about paying someone to drive it back to Laredo and trying to sell it, but I would rather keep it and drive here if I could just hang some legal plates as you say.  How would I go about doing that, and what would be the average costs and risks involved?

Back to the issue of selling a car NOB...  We took ours up in April.  It was a 2001 Subaru.  Two weeks before we went we placed an ad in Craig's List for the area in Texas we were driving to.  Within 4 days, we had a 20 person waiting list.  We made plans to meet the first potential buyer at the hotel we were staying.  She came with money in hand and bought the car on the spot.  We had priced the car at twice the Kelly Blue Book value.  No intermediary used.

7 minutes ago, desafinada said:

Back to the issue of selling a car NOB...  We took ours up in April.  It was a 2001 Subaru.  Two weeks before we went we placed an ad in Craig's List for the area in Texas we were driving to.  Within 4 days, we had a 20 person waiting list.  We made plans to meet the first potential buyer at the hotel we were staying.  She came with money in hand and bought the car on the spot.  We had priced the car at twice the Kelly Blue Book value.  No intermediary used.

Value of 15 year old car is more on condition and demand than blue book.  Worked in a car dealership as a driver after I retired to keep busy and the owners son taught me how to appraise cars.  An enlightening experience. 

On 9/5/2016 at 6:34 AM, desafinada said:

Good for you for thinking 'outside the box'.

If you got 'twice the KBB Private Party' value, I'm going to buy up a bunch of 2001 Subaru's and set up shop on that border town!  :D

Archived