Chapala.com Webboard

Almost Mugged on Bike Path

jausten09

Like to ride my bike at break of dawn from West Ajijic to San Juan Cosala pass the fish restaurants but this time had a Mexican on my tail who first tried to knock me off my bike and when unsuccessful tailed me all the way back to West Ajijic.  I went into traffic numerous times over to the other side of the road and he kept doing the same.  When I stopped to let him go way ahead, he also stopped and pretended to adjust his bike and clothing.  He finally disappeared when I  stopped a police pickup but I did not see any police until I reached West Ajijic.  They were not interested.   I like that time of morning when it is cool and less traffic.  The fact there were people around did not deter this guy.  Any suggestions for new places to try early in the morning would be appreciated.

Description:  medium height with sun glasses and goatee with small beard and buzz cut. Clothing:  baggy pants that are too long and dark t-shirt riding a kids moutain bike that had wire holding parts and partly deflated tires.  Started tailing me on bike trail, pass fish restaurants when he came out of a hidden pathway.

OP, try with company, carry a phone and some pepper spray.

Just this past weekend, I met a canadian couple who told me that they were almost mugged on one of the hiking paths in upper Racquet club in San Juan Cosalá, a young guy 20-25 , showed them a gun under his belt and asked for their belongings, but they said they were going to take a picture of him and go to the police, they guy just took off.

SJC is in need of some police presence.

17 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

OP, try with company, carry a phone and some pepper spray.

Just this past weekend, I met a canadian couple who told me that they were almost mugged on one of the hiking paths in upper Racquet club in San Juan Cosalá, a young guy 20-25 , showed them a gun under his belt and asked for their belongings, but they said they were going to take a picture of him and go to the police, they guy just took off.

SJC is in need of some police presence.

I find a lot of these stories hard to believe. So often it seems that it's someone who has a friend that knows somebody that has a friend that met someone in the street and this total stranger related the story to them.

You have to assume this couple are older retired persons, yet when confronted by a much younger and possibly stronger male with a gun they reply with "We are going to take your picture and go to the police"   My pockets couldn't hold enough peso's to make me doing something that stupid. Many of us can still remember the guy down the street from 4 restaurant who thought a bag of groceries were worth more than his life. 

That couple should be on the TV show "The ten most stupid things people do"  I think they might end up at #1.

As a female you must have been more than a little anxious with this experience.  I couldn't find a local bike club which would have been ideal to find a riding buddy so I would post an ISO on Chapala.com looking for someone who would like to do the same kind of riding you do.  Sorry you had to go through that.  Pepper spray is a good idea as a deterrent to both 2 and 4 legged unwanted guests.

I walk my dog the length of San Juan Cosalá and back every day and see the police almost every day, if not twice, doing their rounds.  SJC has a police presence.  I feel safe and see the familiar faces along the way as we exchange greetings.  I´ve lived here seven years and never had a problem.

50 minutes ago, Lexy said:

TelZ4--Maybe when you're here a while longer you won't be so quick to let us know how you doubt some of the stories you hear about crimes or close calls.

Lexy

Just coming up to ten years now... And you...?

I would like to hear the story right from the horses mouth.. Not the 3rd or 4th version . 

Me, close to 20 years.

Yes, it may be better to hear it from the horse's mouth; however a true story being passed around--like on this forum--is the only way we have of hearing from people who've been robbed or accosted and they're warning us. There's an awful lot of stuff that goes on that will never make it to The Reporter.

I tend to trust the accounts here on this forum who are alerting us to something.

Lexy

That was my point.. I would like to hear from the people that were confronted by the gunman..   As we know stories can grow it statue when they are retold several times... 

Also I would like meet the person who had the balls to stand up to this gunman.. This story sounds a bit like one Ryan Lochte would tell to me...

28 minutes ago, phil in mexico said:

Why do so many post on this board seem to escalate into a pissing contest just a couple of centovos !

I believe it's because many who post on this board can read English but are incapable of comprehending what is written. Possibly English is not their first language ..

Telsz4, your facts are not accurate re our former friend & neighbour Chris Kahr.  He did not lose his life over a bag of groceries. I hope his wife & sons are not reading this webboard, they would find that statement quite distressing.  He & his son were carrying groceries from the car into the house.  A young man came up behind him & took Chris's wallet from his back pocket.  Chris turned, grabbed the kid & demanded his wallet back.  The boy pulled out a gun hidden under his clothes shot & killed him.  Had Chris known  the kid had a gun he would have gladly given up his wallet.  His son said the whole thing happened in about 15 seconds.

Those are the facts.

I agree with RV. That is why so many on this board will argue about anything and everything..  In my humble opinion I think some  of these people also may be a little lonely so they post and reply to everything just to get some kind of interaction with human beings. If you read much more that you post as I do you can see the same names pop up time after time.

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You will from me. We don't need to generalize, in a demeaning fashion, concerning a whole group of people about whom you know nothing other than what you read here.

I "suspect" that TelsZ4 is referring to just a few and not everybody on this board,n'est ce pas?

I can't see anything acceptable about Telsz4's incredibly insulting comments, whether he's referring to a few of us or many. His comments are way out of order and beyond what this forum's moderators say are acceptable. Basically he sounds like a jerk. I'm with Computer Guy.  Besides, some of his sentences don't make sense so maybe English isn't his first language either.

Moderators: This is one useful thread that got ruined by one wise-a-s. Please shut it down

Lexy

Archived