Chapala.com Webboard

Banco Monex and HSBC

Crazydog

I would like to know what your experience has been with Monex and would you recommend them?

I have wires coming from the US and I heard Monex offers "USD denomination" accounts. I am not entirely sure what that means as other banks tell me all banks in Mexico only allow peso accounts and nothing more. 

I know they had a location in Ajijic before and then moved but I heard there is a representative that comes in the area. Do you know how I can get in contact with them? 

The other bank I was looking at is HSBC. I know they have a location at Laguna mall and they are a big bank but I wonder what your experiences have been with the local branch so far. 

Was the process of opening the account easy? I am on a tourist visa (but will apply for a permanent visa) and own a house here already, so I hope they don't have an issue with that. I am also a non US citizen. (I know some banks have issues with that)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

We have a checking account at HSBC, no problems so far. Need to keep 2500 peso balance. We use an ATM card for withdrawals. You fill out an application one day and return the next day to receive paperwork from them.

For wire transfers we use O'Rourke, Laguna Mall on the corner by Black Coffee. 3000 peso minimum to open an account.

Archived