Chapala.com Webboard

MOVIES ON EATING PLANT BASED

Ajijic2013

Are you curious about the benefits of adopting a plant based diet?  The Lakeside Plant Based Food Group is offering 4 movies in September and October for the curious and those who want more information and inspiration. 

Up-Coming Movies

Free and Everyone is Welcome

LCS Sala at 2:00

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (Wednesday, September 14)

97 minutes

Synopsis

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is a 2010 American documentary film which follows the 60-day journey of Australian Joe Cross across the United States as he follows a juice fast to regain his health under the care of Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Nutrition Research Foundation's Director of Research. Cross and Robert Mac, co-creators of the film, both serve on the Nutrition Research Foundation's Advisory Board. Following his fast and the adoption of a plant-based diet, Cross states in a press release that he lost 100 pounds and discontinued all medications.[4][5]

During his road-trip Cross meets Phil Staples, a morbidly obese truck driver from Sheldon, Iowa, in a truck stop in Arizona and inspires him to try juice fasting.[6][7]

A sequel to the first film, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2, was released in 2014.

Food, Inc. (Wednesday, September 28)

91 minutes

Synopsis

This 2010 Oscar-nominated film lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that's been hidden from the American consumer. Food, Inc. is directed by filmmaker Robert Kenner.[4] The Academy Award-nominated film examines corporate farming in the United States, concluding that agribusiness produces food that is unhealthy, in a way that is environmentally harmful and abusive of both animals and employees. The film is narrated by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser.

Vegecated (Friday October 14)

76 minutes

Synopsis

Part sociological experiment and part adventure comedy, Vegucated follows three meat- and cheese-loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. Lured by tales of weight lost and health regained, they begin to uncover the hidden sides of animal agriculture that make them wonder whether solutions offered in films like Food, Inc. go far enough. This entertaining documentary showcases the rapid and at times comedic evolution of three people who discover they can change the world one bite at a time.

Fresh (Friday, October 28)

70 minutes

Synopsis

FRESH celebrates the farmers, thinkers and business people across America who are re-inventing our food system. Each has witnessed the rapid transformation of our agriculture into an industrial model, and confronted the consequences: food contamination, environmental pollution, depletion of natural resources, and morbid obesity. Forging healthier, sustainable alternatives, they offer a practical vision for a future of our food and our planet. Among several main characters, FRESH features urban farmer and activist, Will Allen, the recipient of MacArthur's 2008 Genius Award; sustainable farmer and entrepreneur, Joel Salatin, made famous by Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma; and supermarket owner, David Ball, challenging our Wal-Mart dominated economy. Written by Ana Sofia Joanes

We have a Yahoo Group.  Lakeside Plant Based Food Group.  It is an open group and we announce different activities.  We are small and informal.  If you can't just join, I can invite you if you leave your e-mail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder: the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is showing at 2 in the LCS Sala, Wednesday, September 14.  All Welcome!

"My boss is a chiropractor. She recommended this movie. My life changed. My husband and I juice every day now in addition to our healthy eating plan. My children enjoy the juicing, too. I've noticed a change in my dress size, my eating habits, a decrease in my cravings, and an increase in energy. I highly recommend this movie."

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone invited to the free showing of Food, Inc at 2 this Wednesday in the LCS Sala. 

Food, Inc. (Wednesday, September 28)

91 minutes

Synopsis

This 2010 Oscar-nominated film lifts the veil on the food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that's been hidden from the consumer. The Academy Award-nominated film examines corporate farming in the United States, concluding that agribusiness produces food that is unhealthy, in a way that is environmentally harmful and abusive of both animals and employees. The film is narrated by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser.

I've rescheduled the showing of Food, Inc. for 2:00 p.m. in the sala on Friday, November 4.  Food, Inc. exposes the corporate management of food.

October movies are:

Vegecated, Friday, October 14.  This follows three New Yorkers who love the typical American diet while they adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. 

Fresh, Friday, October 28.  Fresh offers a practical vision for a future of our food and our planet by people who are re-inventing a food system apart from the industrial model.

Movies that are available for loan:

Forks Over Knives

Ingredients

Hungry for Change

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

See earlier posts or google for details on these earlier showings.  (I didn't show Hungry for Change because it seemed to not add enough to the conversation with the other movies we've seen)

• 2 weeks later...

The Lakeside Plant Based Food Group is showing Vegecated this Friday at 2 in the LCS Sala.  Free and all are welcome. 

This is an entertaining documentary about the insights three New Yorkers gain as they adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Lakeside Plant Based Food Group Up-Coming Movie Selections

Always free and Open to All

2:00 in the LCS Sala

Friday, October 28.  Fresh  (72 minutes)

This documentary shows the methods of our current food production and then celebrates farmers, thinkers and business people across America who are reinventing how we get our food.  The movie promises to transform the way we look at food. 

Friday, November 5.  Food, Inc.  (91 minutes)

This film will educate us about the corporate control of the US food supply and how profit often is put ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the farmer, the safety of workers and our environment. 

Archived