Chapala.com Webboard

City Sandwiches, Ajijic - excellent

Four of us had lunch there today. We tried 4 different "City" sandwiches and they were great!  They are next to the Waffle House in Ajijic on the carreterra. They have a food truck, which is the kitchen and table inside. I will be returning soon!

It's only been open about a week and I've already had the pulled pork sandwich twice. It is delicious! :P

To be clear, you'll see the food truck by Casa de Wafle. That's the kitchen. They also have an indoor space in the building behind the truck with tables. So you can either eat your sandwhich there, or take it para llevar. I've only tried the pulled pork - hey, what else am I gonna do?, the young fellow had a Mississippi accent! - but I hear the catfish sandwich is also good. And they have others, etc.

They also have a Facebook page with the menu, but I'm too stupid to post a link.

We had the pulled pork and the Philly cheesesteak (and smashed taters with gravy) yesterday. Both sandwiches were delicious and, like other posters, we will be back to try the other menu offerings. Justin and his wife are a lovely young couple trying to make it in Ajijic's restaurant scene: with our support, they'll do well. They have brought family recipes from back home in Mississippi, are eager to please, a joy to talk to, the indoor seating area is comfortable and clean, and the sandwich offerings are seriously good. They've only been open a few weeks; their hours will be 11:30-8 everyday except Sundays (closed) for a much-needed day off. Good luck, kids! You are off to a great start!

Tried it today, pulled pork sand and baked beans. Both excellent. It is nice that someone knows the proper way to serve a pulled pork sand, namely with cole slaw on top of  the pork. The homemade bbq sauce is quite nice too. 

I'll chime in also. My wife and I ate there today. I had the chicken and my wife had the catfish. Both were excellent! We also ordered a side of the green beans which were also very tasty with chunks of bacon and onions with what tasted like soy sauce. Will definitely be back.

They were out of the pulled pork when we ordered so we split a Buffalo wing sandwich.  That might give the pulled pork a run for the money as it was excellent, as was the green bean side dish.

Went there yesterday, I had the pulled pork and Philly cheese steak. The Philly cheese steak was good. The pulled pork was different than what this Texan is used to. But this is the great thing about the different styles of BBQ we have in America. Each region has its own style and that my friends is what makes BBQ great!!!!! Cant wait to go back and try the Buffalo wing and catfish sandwich. Best of luck to you guys!!!! See you soon!!!!

They have a good product. And it seems they also have a low overhead. That there will give them the opportunity to test the market, and to overcome mistakes that all new businesses make. As for having a limited menu, sometimes less is more. And supply and demand will guide them to what changes they have to make. I truly wish them the best!!! It's not an easy rode, and as long as they have faith,  work hard, make wise decisions they will make it!!! God bless them and best of luck!!! 

We had lunch with the young couple today. I had the pulled pork and a side of the mashed potatoes and gravy and it was all superb. My wife had the catfish sandwich and she raved about how good it was. An all-around good experience. We'll be back for sure.

PS: They are looking for a full-time or part-time cook . . . if you know of anyone, send them over to talk.

I just finished with a take out order and I'm verrrry impressed! I had the pulled porh and Heidi had a Philly....excellent. We both had an order of baked beans.Justin and Mary Lou (sp?) are really nice and very accomodating. Even the way the order was packaged impressed me...no leakage. Heidi's hoping the beans are "sin pedo"!

• 1 month later...

City Sandwich is EXCELLENT! So far I've had the Philly Cheesesteak & Pulled Pork sandwiches with green beans and baked beans. Everything was delicious and I'm so glad they're here. U.S. style cooking! By the way, Justin said they're going to start delivering.

We had the Philly cheese steak and the Buffalo NY chicken, the best ever. Great service, great to go packaging.We will be back....like tomorrow to try the sides. Great menu, plenty large enough to survive on.....look at Trips Burgers....Burgers and Fries....that's it and they are doing well. If you don't see them from the Carratera, just park and walk to the truck parked next to La Casa de Waffle.

My wife and I can't wait to taste these folks' other menu items. I think that their Philly is better than what I've eaten in Philly! 

Archived