Chapala.com Webboard

New US Consulate Notary and Passport Information

jarmen01

I recieved this via email on Monday...

On Monday, August 29, 2016 4:30 PM, "ACSmessages@state.gov" <ACSmessages@state.gov> wrote:

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara would like to inform U.S. citizens about a change in payment method for consular services provided during our monthly visits to the American Legion and Lake Chapala Society.  Effective immediately, we will no longer accept payments from CI Banco.

Consulate employees cannot accept cash or credit card payments during our off-site visits.  Beginning with our next visit on September 7, 2016, we will accept only peso-denominated bank checks.  We have confirmed that the Banamex branch in Lake Chapala can issue those checks.  It is very important that the checks be made out to “United States Disbursing Office” or they will not be accepted for payment.

The Banamex Branch is located at the following address:
Av. Francisco I Madero 222,
Col. Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal., Mexico
Tel:  376 765 2271

The current price for an adult passport renewal is 2035 Mexican pesos.  The current price for a notarial seal is 925 pesos.  (Documents requiring multiple seals will require additional payment.  For example, a document requiring three notarial seals would require payment of a total of 6105 pesos.)  Please note that the exchange rate is set by the Embassy, currently 18.5 pesos to the dollar, and will not usually be the same rate that can be obtained at a bank or currency exchange facility.  As such, please check with us to confirm the current rate of exchange.

For a complete list of the dates of our visits and information on the services we provide in Lake Chapala/Ajijic, please visit our web page.

For further information:
             See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Contact the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara, located at Progreso 175, Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco 44160, during business hours Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 011-52-33-3268-2100 or via email at acsgdl@state.gov .

You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 after-hours.

Contact information for the Embassy and other U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website. 

Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

As I am renewing my passport this month, I emailed the Consulate for clarification of (1) the rate quoted of $2,035 was good for the 09/07/16 visit and (2) if they would accept a peso-denominated check from another bank other than Banamex.

The reply from the consulate is:

Yes, we will accept peso-denominated bank checks from other banks.  The passport price will not change prior to our visit.  The rate we use does not fluctuate on a daily basis like the exchange rate.

Autumn dreams is right per the following:  Only difference is updated exchange rates will be posted on the LCS web page when they change:

US Consulate checklist

Passports                                    September, 2016

1.    Proper form completed and signed

2.    2 proper sized photos as described on renewal application.

3.    Mexican bank check (NO personal checks) IN PESOS payable to: United States Disbursing Officer (MUST be completely spelled out). This is the ONLY form of payment accepted by consulate at lakeside.  

4.    Print your name and local phone number on memo section of the check in case it becomes separated from the paperwork.

5.    Your old passport and one photo copy

NO FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED

*Fees   Simple passport renewal 2035 Pesos                        Form DS-82

Renewal for age 15 and under 2487.50 Pesos        Form DS-11

Lost or Stolen passport 2487.50 Pesos       Forms DS-64 & DS-11

Notary 925 Pesos per impression

To notarize a document

The applicant has to present an OFFICIAL AND CURRENT US or Mexican  ID such as:

-US Passport

-US Driver License

-Mexican Passport

-Mexican Driver License

-Mexican Voter Card (IFE)

Hi everyone.  I went to Banamex to get my check for a U.S. notary, what a nightmare.  The manager knew nothing and insisted I needed the consulate's account number and various other information and pressured me to open an account..  Long story short, I was unable to get a check.  This AM we went to Banco Multiva and they won't do it unless you have an account there.  When I called the consulate they were completely unhelpful and frankly incredibly rude.  If anyone has any other ideas, I'd like to hear them.  Thanks.

Archived