Chapala.com Webboard

ISO Auto truck consignment dealer in Texas

thesarge7

We are thinking about selling our U.S. plated full size pick truck and will most likely be driving it to the border to sell it. Has anyone used an auto/truck consignment dealer in Texas? Or maybe any other state that is close to the border?  Or if you have any other suggestions I would like to hear them, Thanks.

I have not heard, on any of the Forums, of anyone who tried selling their vehicle this way.... on consignment. Doesn't mean someone won't know of someone or has done it themselves, but it has never come up.

Most either have someone at Lakeside drive their vehicle to San Antonio for a fee and wholesale it to the likes of CarMax, bringing back a check for the owner, or just sell it to someone at Lakeside who's intent it is to drive the car out of Mexico, cancel the TIP at the border and sell the vehicle themselves somewhere. Either of these options takes the burden off the Lakeside owner to do the border-dance and/but the owner will need to understand that they cannot receive retail pricing on their vehicle.... something that some find hard to do while others realize that it is just 'the price (no pun intended) one pays' owning a US plated car deep in Mexico as they progress to a Permanente immigration status.

Recommend staying away from Carmax unless one is in a hurry and don't mind a low ball offer. When we came down last year I took my 2015 Miata with everything on it to Carmax... They quoted $4000 under low bluebook... The car had less than 8,000 miles... Sold it to a dealer at low book.... Having been here the car wouldn't do well on these roads...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help. I had already done a Google search before posting. Just curious if anyone had any personal experience. I may end up going the Carmax route. Even though I see some bad experiences here, I have spoken to folks who were pleased with what they got. I may also post a Craigslist ad just before I go, and hope for some interest when I arrive at the border.

On 10/13/2016 at 7:57 AM, garmemorial said:

I had an offer from CarMax in SA. I was in Dallas and went to Texas direct and got $700 more than carmax

I Googled Texas Direct and found Texas Direct Auto,  12053 Southwest Fwy , Stafford, TX 77477. Is that the one you went to?

Archived