Chapala.com Webboard

Praise for the Mexican Federal Police

My wife and I are presently on our way back to Chapala, driving two vehicles, with one towing a trailer filled with things for our house.  A tire blew out on the trailer and we were stuck in the state of Sonora.  I stayed with the truck and trailer while my wife drove to try and get help.  She returned with a supposed mechanic who promised to get a new tire, return in one to two hours, and fix the trailer and then install the tire.  We gave him money for the tire and parts.  He left and we waited almost three hours - nothing.  Then three Mexican Federal police officers showed up.  They spent the entire afternoon with us.  They phoned the so-called mechanic, one of them then went with my wife to get another mechanic.  They worked for hours in 38C heat to make sure we had the help we needed.  They dealt with the bogus mechanic, helped with the repair, in fact one of them rode his motorcycle into town to get needed parts.  The entire time they were unbelievably kind, patient and couldn't do enough for us.  They wouldn't accept anything from us when we offered and in the end one officer said, "It's been a pleasure!"  How good is that!  We are so grateful to these three angels sent to us in a country we are thrilled to have the privilege of living in. 

Yes indeed, thank you for sharing a wonderful story that flies in the face of the all too common stereotype that "most" Federales are corrupt and on the prowl for "mordidas"or worse.

We need more stories like this to alleviate the exaggerated fear and misconceptions that circulate among some expats and most ignorant gringos NOB that don't bother or are too afraid to get to know Mexico.

Many thanks!!!

In my opinion, Pedro Malo is right on. These stories help balance out the negative stuff which also does happen. I've mostly found Federales helpful with good outcomes, but I did have a severe problem with an Estadal once that required intervention by the Consulate. Mostly good, a little bad. Some people are cop magnets with bad outcomes because of the attitudes and behavior they project. And sometimes bad things happen to good people. And in OPs case, an over the top good thing happened. Thanks for the report.

I have driven many times from Seattle area to Guadalajara and back.  I have only seen one slightly rude Federal policeman in all these trips and it was no big deal and he was distracted.  I find the Fed cops to be very professional and helpful.  When I met the head Federal cop in Jalisco he gave me his business card  and said anything bad his folks did call him. 

Well I have also had nothing but good experiences with the Federal Police but they cannot be counted on to stop and help stranded motorists they come across.  I have had issues with "banditos" wearing what appeared to be Federal Police uniforms so you still need to be careful on who you trust.  Earlier this year I had a mechanical problem in a mountain pass while towing a small trailer that left me stranded partially blocking the road on a dangerous curve with lots of heavy truck traffic.  This was while going over La Rumorosa between Tecate and Mexicali in Baja Norte.  I requested roadside assistance by using one of the roadside call boxes because I was outside of cell phone coverage.  Nobody including the Green Angels ever showed up.  A couple of Federal Police cars just drove on by.  After a long wait, stranded, I was rescued by a local who stopped to pull me to safety - luckily I always carry a tow strap with me. He would not accept any payment for helping me out - a truly good person.  All other instances of roadside assistance I have had (luckily within cell phone coverage areas) were responded to by tow trucks dispatched by my insurance carrier, Qualitas.

7 hours ago, Sunshine Girl said:

Because they come quickly and manage the mechanical repairs?

And you are correct on both points.

But this was a chance to show a "good" side to the oft-maligned (and sometimes deserving) FEDERALES..... and not about the Angels.

55 minutes ago, Xena said:

Please start a new thread instead of taking this one off topic.

You promised on some other board not to post here anymore under your other handle. Has moderator-2 made you an official part of his team here? In any event,nobody here has taken anything off topic. Thanks lcscats for the heads up. I am going to check the Mex media for further info on this important matter

Archived