Chapala.com Webboard

Dogs and Cats Are Being Poisened Here At Lakeside

Musicdoc

written by Catherine-Claire Blythe

ATTN DOG OWNERS/CARE GIVERS: A group member's dog is currently in critical care, and another is dead. Someone is leaving poison filled food to intentionally kill dogs. While on their morning hike (at the base of the mountain, near the waterfall trails) their dog found and ate the purposely laid poisonous food. The dog was rushed immediately to the hospital, is receiving excellent care, but the doctor does not offer words of encouragement. Another dog lays nearby, dead and covered with a blanket. I do not know any more info on this dog, if it has an owner, how or when the body will be collected...anything! The police responded to the report and arrived on scene. Unfortunately, this is all the info I have at the time, as the known family involved are obviously busy caring for their very ill dog. I will post more as I learn it... But the purpose of this post is A) To keep in mind /heart/prayers our fellow Gringos as their dog fights for his life. And B ) To warn everyone of this threat. Whether on leash or off, keep this in mind as it only takes a second for a dog to gobble up what they think is a treat or food. Think smart, stay safe.

There is a strict law now in Jalisco against deliberately mistreating or killing domesticated animals. (You can search the Guadalajara Reporter's past issues on the topic.) In my little fishing village on the coast, we are hoping to get an ex-pat poisoner deported; all levels of local and municipal government are now involved.

It´s unfortunate these demons don´t accidently take in a little of their own medicine! If it´s not bad enough killing someone´s furry kid, imagine if a NON furry kid snatched the food up, or a poor hungry old person?? (for all we know it may have happened at some time, given the frequency of these horrific actions) Now, we have manslaughter! How can they sleep at night? 

Gosh this has been reported intermittently over the years. These creeps/creep must be really "mental". These types are slick, and hard to catch in the act. It's hard to wrap your head around.

I'm going to be arriving come mid Sept. I thought October but coming sooner. I hope to get a pet friendly rental so I can get a little dog/cat from the rescues.

Thanks for the heads up to be cautious about what animals may be poking around in when outside. I've even heard about poison hotdogs being launched over fences. What the ....

Good point Igualla, had not given much thought to that. I see toddlers walking around all the time picking up things, mostly stones but what would prevent the from picking something poisoned that looked interesting? Moms are there but little ones are very quick.

10 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Good point Igualla, had not given much thought to that. I see toddlers walking around all the time picking up things, mostly stones but what would prevent the from picking something poisoned that looked interesting? Moms are there but little ones are very quick.

Even if they didn't put it in their mouth...what if it gets on their hands?

10 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

This is copied and pasted from FACEBOOK. And I have also added to this another thought.  Another thing that could and should be taught in this workshop is how to deal with the problem if the poison is ingested. I always keep charcoal and an eye dropper with me (to get it straight down their throat). This is an immediate antidote before racing them to the nearest open vet. Learning this could be life saving!!

Due to the recent dog murders, I have spoken with my dog's trainer regarding options and solutions we have to keep our dogs safe. I am posting this poll to find out if there is an interest. If so, myself and Gabriel with Escuela De Adiestramiento Canino De la Ribera (Ajijic Dog School) will set up a a presentation/orientation explaining the training he offers to:
A) Train dogs to not eat anything that does not come from owner.
B) Effective muzzles to prevent dogs from being able to eat anything, while maintaining the ability to drink, breath and pant.
C) Train dogs in accepting a muzzle and acclimating to it.
D) Order and purchase this specific type of muzzle for each particular breed.
If there is an interest, we will put a plan in action. Please respond only if you are interested, and in which letter(s) above you are interested. Thanks Ladies

LikeShow more reactions
Comment

Was speaking with a woman (Gringa) today who lives in upper Ajijic. She said her Mexican neighbors have been talking about the influx of rats in upper Ajijic die to all the rain flushing them out of the hills. She was told that some of the people up there put down rat poison up in the hills. I know this is 2nd hand info, but certainly sounds feisable. I did read that one of the dogs that died ate food with the poison in it. I don't know what rat poison looks like, could it attract dogs? In the mean time it is probably best to keep our dogs off the hill for awhile...better safe than sorry.

I don't have a fur-legged child but do care very much about them.  Last Monday (Aug 22) I saw a familiar dog near Chinese restaurant and he appeared to have been hit by a car.  His legs looked like rubber and he was pulling himself along the cobblestone road by his front paws.  He was also foaming from the mouth.  Could this have been poisoning and not an injury from being hit by a car? 

Please note that we would normally move this thread to the pets section of the board but because this is such a serious matter we want as many people to know about these poisonings as possible.  What is most helpful are any reports of other locations where pet poisonings is happening.

Thanks.

Agreed mod.  

People reading this should keep in mind that the bait ranges from pieces of bacon,

to that of huge chunks of meat with rat poison inside.  

The bait in the mountain, was rather high up.   The people that go there with their dogs, leash the dogs

until they are on the mountain.   Once on the mountain, these dogs which are carefully leashed in town,  

have a chance to frolic with one another and get exercise.  Those were the targets of the mountain waterfall

killings.  

So that in mind the killer has strength enough to get all the way up the mountain, and has been busy in other

areas such as lower Ajijic, San Antonio Tlay, and Riber.    When I question those more in the know, they 

explained the danger extends far west and east (for they have been informed of animal poisonings reaching

in both directions, though in those areas people are not reporting as much.

Anyone who knows of a poisoned animal can contact me in a PM and I shall pass along that information 

to the correct people, and have someone get in touch with you, no matter if you speak English or Spanish.

Thank you

Archived