Chapala.com Webboard

Dogs (2) poisoned (confirmed) Ajijic

BEWARE

2 Dogs/same area (Mid to East Ajijic mountains)

One dog dead.

One dog in intensive care.  This one is confirmed case of fast acting poison.

Food baited w/ fast acting poison, on mountain hike trail.

This was random - intended for any dog on trails.

Police taking report & personally reviewing area.

Mountains.  Not street. Hiking trails above Revolucion. 

One was hiking with his owner, and is at the vet.  

The other was discovered, after attempting to make  its way down from the mountain.

That second one made it as far as lower street.  Same mouth symptoms as the one 

taken to vet.  

Is someone missing their dog?  This dog appears well fed. Photo below

FullSizeRender.jpg

Catherine-Claire Blythe
ATTN DOG OWNERS/CARE GIVERS: A group member's dog is currently in critical care, and another is dead. Someone is leaving poison filled food to intentionally kill dogs. While on their morning hike (at the base of the mountain, near the waterfall trails) their dog found and ate the purposely laid poisonous food. The dog was rushed immediately to the hospital, is receiving excellent care, but the doctor does not offer words of encouragement. Another dog lays nearby, dead and covered with a blanket. I do not know any more info on this dog, if it has an owner, how or when the body will be collected...anything! The police responded to the report and arrived on scene. Unfortunately, this is all the info I have at the time, as the known family involved are obviously busy caring for their very ill dog. I will post more as I learn it... But the purpose of this post is A) To keep in mind /heart/prayers our fellow Gringos as their dog fights for his life. And B ) To warn everyone of this threat. Whether on leash or off, keep this in mind as it only takes a second for a dog to gobble up what they think is a treat or food. Think smart, stay safe.

Who is this sicko?  This is the lowest of the low - to do this to an innocent animal - I am furious!    This seems to happen at the same time every year, no?  The picture above is the saddest thing I've seen in a very long time.  Need to figure out how to solve this one............

Was speaking with a woman (Gringa) today who lives in upper Ajijic. She said her Mexican neighbors have been talking about the influx of rats in upper Ajijic due to all the rain flushing them out of the hills. She was told that some of the people up there put down rat poison up in the hills. I know this is 2nd hand info, but certainly sounds feisable. Best to keep our dogs off the hill for awhile...better safe than sorry.

Many more killed in lower Ajijic.  None of these cases are to kill rats.  All were food, and intentional. 

The first five were not due to noise related.  A vet in the area said that message board comments 

which state it is one person's retaliation for either noise or rats, are misleading to the community, 

and only serve to excuse this behavior, which is inexcusable and the work of someone extremely 

ill.  This will not stop people from having dogs.   This will not keep dogs out of their path.  

If you know of someone who has had their dog poisoned, please report this immediately and if

you do not know where to do so, simply send me a PM.

Archived