Chapala.com Webboard

What

A zig zag path to be able to walk to the Jesus statue.  Its only 5,000,000 pesos and with all the roads fixed and money to spare it seemed like a wise investment as tourists complained they would never come back to Chapala if they had to wade to see the statue or hire a boat. 

A couple months back the Guadalajara Reporter reported, with drawings included, that El Presidente was planning on building a curved pier ending in a large circular point, where they were going to build a large screen to show movies.  They were also planning on converting the Cristiania Park into an Amusement Park complete with roller coasters.  The other day I was walking on the malecon and ran into a Mexican friend who lives near the malecon and she told me that the rumor now is that they are going to build a pier like structure full of nice touristic restaurants.  So, now I am envisioning something like Fishermans Wharf in Monterey, California.  But I noticed it seems awfully close to Jesus The Fisherman Statue.  Possibly, in reality, they are building a bridge to the statue.  If you view the drawings in the GR, it looks pretty cool, but something inside me tells me that it ain't gonna turn out good, but I guess we won't know for sure until they are finished, when it is too late to change it.  

There you all go complaining and sniping at our wonderful Chapala government again.  Look, all you need to do is go on bended knee and beg them to raise taxes another 50 percent and our streets will be paved with gold, our trash trucks will actually work, and we'll be living in the best run municipio in Mexico instead of one of the worse.

Y'all just gotta have faith! 

:D

Since there is nothing on that dot of an artificial island but a small Jesus statue and you can't even go up inside it, you would think that reaching the island is not a necessity, and the idea of blocking the view of the lake by building a cumbersome bridge to a small island with a small statue would be a bad idea, a waist of money and an eyesore to top it off.

Wait till you guys see the new plans for the new Lake Museum.  The presidente had a competition where he had different architects draw up plans to build the new museum.  There is a gobierno de Chapala video on youtube where el Presidente holds up the plans that won, and they aren't to my liking, way to futuristic for me.  Anyways, what the heck are they going to put in it to display?  They can't even get enough artefacts to display in the train station house of culture museum.

But, if they spend 5M pesos, just think of the "kickbacks" that some will be able to put into their pockets. They will be able to vacation places where the view would not be obstructed. :D

That statue of Jesus was built when the water was down, at ludicrous cost, by a previous administration. They built the whole thing by barge: rocks and dirt and sand. Took forever, but I guess employed a few people. Then the water came up, then it went back down... During this period, tienditas were forced off the malecon and into those hell-holes they called vendor stands. But all the fun of visiting dried up along with the water.

They forced the food vendors off the "beach" to "beautify" the area.

They then forced the vendors off the plaza and never allowed them back (to make it "nicer"), so now we have a town centre that no one hangs out in, and the vendors that remain are sitting on valuable parking space, and fighting even harder to make a living. The only time the restaurants at the back end (by the park) make good money is on weekends, when tourists are here. They tore down the "vendor mall" nearby and put in more parking for the expected crowds. Each of these moves has been excruciatingly painful financially for everyone involved, except the friends and relatives of the various mayors. And I don't just mean the vendors and restaurant owners: I mean the taxpayers, too.

So exactly how do they think they are going to populate these new "pier attraction" restaurants? From all the poor sods who lost their businesses and therefore their income... because they have just been chomping at the bit to find more money to pay more rent? Or would it be the owners of the now-defunct places who had their outdoor cafe tables legally barred, putting one guy on the corner completely out of business... before they allowed it to be replaced by yet another unncessary Oxxo. I can hardly wait to see the lineup of eager restaurateurs.

How is El P able to connect with so much money? Is it all "grants"?  It`s quite incredible. Now, if he could just connect with his heart and actually serve the needs of the people in his town. Pueblo Magico, indeed.

Guest English Rose

I wonder what El P will leave unfinished on this 'bridge' project. Two glaringly unfinished projects of new sewers, burying utilities and resurfacing Ramon Corona and Gonzalas Gallo have been that way for about 3 years. All that new stuff was buried and that is as far as it has gone. Nothing is hooked up to the houses, just string, wires and orange and grey tubes sticking out. Oh wait, maybe it is the electricity people who are tardy as CFE is stamped on the sidewalks and all the access caps. Where did the top jefe co-ordinater get to?

14 hours ago, Intercasa said:

A zig zag path to be able to walk to the Jesus statue.  Its only 5,000,000 pesos and with all the roads fixed and money to spare it seemed like a wise investment as tourists complained they would never come back to Chapala if they had to wade to see the statue or hire a boat. 

Bahahahah Spencer, you're hilarious.  so true! 

Some of what this government does is just fine and some of it is not. Show me a government that is perfection or even better yet can any of you consistently regular moaners show me that you are perfect, totally benevolent and all the other etc.'s that some of you are constantly accusing this government off not doing,having.etc..

3 hours ago, ned small said:

Some of what this government does is just fine and some of it is not. Show me a government that is perfection or even better yet can any of you consistently regular moaners show me that you are perfect, totally benevolent and all the other etc.'s that some of you are constantly accusing this government off not doing,having.etc..

Homer-Simpson-D'oh-tiny.jpg

1 hour ago, ned small said:

Why would you say such a thing? Is it because nobody else has and you wish to be original or you just want to shut down yet another thread?:rolleyes:

No, because you popped up and started lording it over everyone, ruining a perfectly good thread. I don't slap my forehead in disgust for just anybody. Because both your comments have been off-topic and patronizing. And if she doesn't get this otherwise perfectly benign thread shut down, I just may.

Archived