Chapala.com Webboard

Plastic rod

jrm30655

I have a project that I'm working on and need a plastic rod as a stiffener.  It has to be plastic, straight, fairly rigid and about 6' long.  I'd like to find something about 1/4" in diameter but can use larger or smaller if necessary

Any ideas where to look?

Motorcycle shops that sell accessories for quads should have a 6 foot fiberglass flag rod for quads that should work ok.  Both Honda and Yamaha make a flag kit with rod.   If it is not in stock a larger dealer in Guadalajara can order it for you.  Also you can call Moto Racing on Avenida Patria #870, they have a lot of  quad accessories and may have one on the floor.  Also Home Depot used to carry chimney cleaning kits that came with 36" sections of fiberglass rod that screwed together.  If you do not want to drive into Guad, one of the local moto shops lakeside will probably pick one up for you in Guadalajara.  Buena suerte.

21 minutes ago, El Cartero said:

Can you use a piece of pvc and stick a wooden or metal rebar onside to firm it up?

It's an antenna, no metal

Think of a piece of TV coax that will stick up 6' and it needs to be straight up.  

I've tried sliding it up in a 1/2" piece of plastic pipe and tying it in place with tie wraps and that is close, but not as good as I want.

I'm thinking I'm going to tie wrap the cable to a piece of 1/2" plastic water pipe and then slide that into a larger pipe.

This is a multi sectional antenna and when you just put it in a 1/2" pipe, the sections flex and don't remain perfectly vertical which hurts the gain.

Archived