Chapala.com Webboard

Got da Blues?

mnaiman

Oh how I wish. When Jay Shuffle was alive and played with Ron Baker and friends, it was some great blues. Fortunately I have a pretty extensive collection of classic and newly released stuff and an awesome sound system to play it on. But if you find someone really playing the blues, please let me know!!!!

My name is Blue Jay Slim.  I've been playing the blues at Adelitas and at the Chili Cookoffs for the past several years.  I'll be coming down in January and hopefully Jason will allow me to play at Adelitas again.  I used to play with Jay Shuffle, Ron Baker, and Bill Hawk when we started what became the Jamm Band at Score's in West Ajijic.  I hope you guys will come my gigs.  Check out this link for some videos etc.:

www.bluejayslim.com

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Would that be our own Jimmy Barto on trumpet in a couple of those videos? Looks like they were shot at the Real de Chapala.

Danced to the band at Adelita's last year.

Yes that is Jimmy Barto.  That was when he moved back to Pennsylvania just before he moved back to Ajijic.  Those videos took place in Pennsylvania at a competition which we won and were sent to Memphis to compete in The International Blues Challenge with over 200 blues bands from all over the world.  Unfortunately Jimmy couldn't accompany us to Memphis as he had moved back to Ajijic.  If you google "blue jay slim" you may find some some videos on Facebook that I made with Jay Shuffle, Ron Baker, Richard Underhill, Sergio, Chelo, Mike & The Suspects, Blue Velvet and many more.  

Speaking of Blue Velvet, they often play blues & jazz at Ocampo 71, usually on Wednesday evenings.  Juan Castaño, their guitarist, is an instrumentalist par excellance & is considered by every guitar player I now around here as the very best around, a borderline genius with a guitar.  Not to take anything away from Blue Jay Slim, whom I've met and whose music I enjoy very much, but I suspect he would agree re Juan.  I should add that the other Blue Velvet musicians know their way around their instruments quite well also.

On 8/25/2016 at 2:45 PM, ga356 said:

Speaking of Blue Velvet, they often play blues & jazz at Ocampo 71, usually on Wednesday evenings.  Juan Castaño, their guitarist, is an instrumentalist par excellance & is considered by every guitar player I now around here as the very best around, a borderline genius with a guitar.  Not to take anything away from Blue Jay Slim, whom I've met and whose music I enjoy very much, but I suspect he would agree re Juan.  I should add that the other Blue Velvet musicians know their way around their instruments quite well also.

For sure Juan is a great guitarist and it's always a pleasure playing with him and the boys.

Archived