Chapala.com Webboard

second best climate in the world attribution

bdmowers

4 hours ago, Sonia said:

LOL then you must really dislike the weather at lakeside where it gets to 8C. Maybe you never experienced spring. :-)

Actually, I live north of PV, altho I have spent time Lakeside. And the nighttime temps here have gone down to 11C in the winter months. No heat, down comforter. But still warm during the day. When I lived in San Miguel one winter, I was wearing a sweater and a leather jacket, plus scarf and gloves at night.

Hi!

This is my first post.

I heard the same story about the weather in Chapala/NG  from an American when I first visited GDL in 1975. 

Since then many things have changed including world climate but it is still wonderful climate there.  Currently I am living in Tokyo and I visit GDL for weeks every year.

Really where is the best or second best climate is a question that cannot be clearly answered. Best is different for different folks. I'm from Vancouver where there is usually a lot of cold rain and someimtes snow in the winter. A friend who lives here does not want to visit here as he loves the rain.

Yes for the non-believers palm trees do grow in England. This link will tell you why.

http://www.hereandtherewithpatandbob.com/cornwall-england/

Yes palm trees in Scotland also

http://www.embracescotland.co.uk/2013/04/forget-france-and-portugal-head-to-scotland-this-summer/

BTW Cardiff is not on the Pembrokeshire Coast Milford Haven and St Davids are. They are usually 1 degree C or so higher than Cardiff which is more than 100 miles East.

Yes the gulf stream affects the west coast of scotland.many summers it can be a few deg. Warmer. Used to go to ayr for my hols as a kid. My ex from there Many times to devon and cornwall. But the climate is not like here in any stretch of the imagination.i was born in uk and lived there for 45 years..

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, ibbocat said:

But as an English man I get a far warmed reception in Mexico than I ever would in Scotland or Wales

Well, you did take over their countries, just a bit ago.  ;)

As a university librarian, I searched both our paid databases and National Geographic's online database for any mention of Chapala or Ajijic.  Nothing whatsoever (after informing me there were 0 results, the search engine helpfully pulled up every mention of chapel, just in case of a typo).  However, it appears to me that their online content only goes back to 1980.  I have contacted the library at National Geographic to see if there are cumulative indexes or any other finding aid that would help determine the origin of this story.  I also gave them the name of the article supplied above and the information that it likely predated 1975. I will report back if I hear anything.  We have print copies here but I am not looking through every issue prior to 1980!  Elisabeth, prospective Lakeside immigrant (documented)

Re Second Best Climate in the World

After several exhaustive attempts in the past decade to prove/disprove this quote's link to National Geographic,I am very confident that this comment NEVER appeared in National Geographic - and will happily eat my sombrero if proved wrong. [It is conceivable that the phrase was used in an ad in the magazine at some point, but that would not count].

The claim certainly dates back at least to the mid-1970s, as a previous poster said. It is worth pointing out that at about that time, the main PEMEX station in Ajijic had a slogan painted across its side wall claiming (to the best of my memory) "Ajijic - el mejor clima del mundo" or words to that effect. I have a 35mm slide of that slogan somewhere and other photos of it must exist.

How times change!

Tony

I believe it is a placating comment, probably propogated by the couple that started Birds of Paradise. If you say a place has or is the second best anything, you don't have to prove that it's the best. And how bad can second best be?

2 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Actually, if you want to compare places by daily temperatures, you will find several places in Mexico that have almost identical daily temperatures as Chapala, year round. One such place that I have checked for almost 3 years is Leon, Guanajuato. Rarely much variance in temperature, although Chapala often seems to have a higher heat index. Leon is a Major city, not a swarming tourist area with a lake. This "best climate" idea is an opinion concept, no way to prove that, as the best climate for my body is probably not the same as yours. We have friends that after many years at Lakeside, now live in Guatemala, and they swear the climate there is so much better than Lakeside.

We love the climate in Guanajuato City, very similar to Ajijic, maybe a little cooler in the early summer due to altitude and a bit chillier in winter. Nothing a warmer sweater / jacket won't fix. I like  Leon for day trips for shopping, restaurants the occasional soccer game. Like it so much we are building a second Mexico home in El Centro in GTO

Quick reply from National Geographic: it wasn't them, and it's been asked before.  This librarian checked himself anyway, also checking for the article title that was posted as the source.  I wonder if the source might be another publication I have in mind and am checking to see when it began to be published.  While it's possible some enterprising speculator made the whole thing up, people frequently misremember sources.  So if anything comes of this I will report back.

1 hour ago, elisabeth said:

While it's possible some enterprising speculator made the whole thing up, people frequently misremember sources. 

Wow! You mean people can just make up stuff to sell things or promote tourism - and then completely get away with it? Wish I had know this sooner, would have made a ton of money, or became a famous politician or something.

The weather here is pretty good but many years ago I lived in the nice Venezuelan city of San Cristobal de Tachira State.  The city was half way up in the green Northern Andes.  The mountains were always green, it always rained for about 30 mins from 5 to 6 pm.  There was always a gentle Andean cool breeze.  It never felt as hot as Chapala gets in Spring time (as in now) and it never got as frigid cold as it can get in Chapala in the winter months.  On most nights a long sleeve shirt or very light jacket would be all you need year round.  I realize that most people reading this North of the Border probably don't belive we have the 4 seasons at Lake Chapala, but those that have been here for at least a few years would agree that we most definately have the 4 seasons here, but they are a little different than NOB.  But in the tropical Andean cities there are not 4 seasons, only 2, the rainy and the dry season, but honestly it will rain year round, just a little less in the so called dry season.  I actually enjoy the Andean climate much better than this one, just remember, altitude is everything in the high Andes, some cities are much higher than others, cities like Cuenca have a cold wet climate.  Popayan (a smallish colonial city) and Medellin (a large modern city) both in Colombia, have near perfect climates if that is what you are looking for.

I cannot agree with #1 climate.  I now own 3 propane heaters, boots., scarves, sweaters.....sure was a cold winter...and seems it has rained some at least every month.. I do recall a time when it only rained in rainy season. Again a subjective subject.  Climate change making to wetter than I like and colder than I like.  MY opinion. 

54 minutes ago, bezerk said:

I cannot agree with #1 climate.  I now own 3 propane heaters, boots., scarves, sweaters.....sure was a cold winter...and seems it has rained some at least every month.. I do recall a time when it only rained in rainy season. Again a subjective subject.  Climate change making to wetter than I like and colder than I like.  MY opinion. 

Cold this year?  I think this was the warmest, dryest, most pleasant winter we've had in the 6 years I've lived in Chapala.  Now last year was the coldest I remember, it was bitter cold, very long and rather wet during the coldest periods.  

Many of those places in bdmowers list I am not familiar with, but I certainly know the south shore of Nova Scotia. These may be great places to visit, but that one doesn't come anywhere near to "best climate". Pretty, yes, mild often, yes... but here we sustain year-round sunshine and weather much more temperate than any place I've ever been. Remember, that's "year round". When was the last time we had to put on boots and mittens here? Even in the rainy season, it's sunny and warm most of the day.

Last 2 years in my opinion cold and wet  for any months...not like years long ago...when winter was 3 weeks here. 

PV also was much cooler than usual. 

Sadly I now own a winter and summer wardrobe here....sigh.

I have no idea if we have the best or second best weather in the world, but during the rainy season, we have some fantastic thunderstorms, the best I've ever seen that weren't terribly destructive.

I live up near the top of Villa Nova and from my house, I can watch them coming up the lake.  The really good ones seem to come from the east.

The really good ones seem to start about 2am and run until dawn.  A really good storm will have lightning that is almost continuous for hours.

Mother Nature putting on one of her best shows......

Archived