Chapala.com Webboard

second best climate in the world attribution

bdmowers

I am looking for the source of the "Lake Chapala has the second best climate in the world according to National Geographic" statement. Nearly every online site that deals with Lake Chapala uses it without attribution it but there is no mention in National Geographic. 

Newfoundland: Avalon Peninsula
Wales: Pembrokeshire Coast
New Zealand: Tutukaka Coast, Northland
Chile: Chilean Fjords
Hawaii: Na Pali Coast
Oman: Batinah Coast
British Columbia: Gulf Islands
Nova Scotia: South Shore
Australia: Broome
Argentina: Valdés Peninsula
Scotland: Moray Firth Coast, Inverness to Peterhead
Italy: Cinque Terre
Namibia: Skeleton Coast
Cook Islands: As a Whole
New Zealand: Great Barrier Island
Oregon: Oregon Coast
Prince Edward Island: Coastal Areas
Georgia (U.S.): Sea Islands

are mentioned in National Geographic`s Coastal Destinations Rated: Top Rated article but there appears to be no other NatGeo climate rating article and no mention of Lake Chapala anywhere in NatGeo.  Does anyone have other information about this claim?

Ironically, there are a couple of places in Scotland and Wales that are amazingly endowed with wonderful climate.

I think for the sake of brevity, it's really easy to say "and we have the best climate in the world", but you can get away with murder if you say "and we have the second best climate in the world"...

Whatever poll it was, real or created by realtors, the story was that Johannesburg S.A. had the best climate (see below--that may well be right), but I did not want to go to J'burg.

"Temperatures in Johannesburg are usually fairly mild due to the city's high elevation, with an average maximum daytime temperature in January of 25.6 °C (78.1 °F), dropping to an average maximum of around 16 °C (61 °F) in June." - Wikipedia 

I guess it is typical that these posts are being made on one of the rainiest days of the year!

Urban myth. OK, Pueblo myth. Started many years ago. Nobody really knows when or who started it. I tried to find it for a year or two, GDL Reporter tried to find it as have many others. No one has ever found it. It simply was never published in National Geographic or any other reputable magazine, although some people still believe it and Focus on Mexico and others still use it in their promotional literature to entice people to move here.

Al, very comprehensive answer. I suspected it was a pueblo myth passed on ad infinitum and so is perceived as "truth".  My research can now end. We have great weather but we can`t say National Geo said so. Thanks, all, for your contributions.

Back in Canada, when I had high speed internet (over 100) I downloaded a rip of every National Geographic, ever published. Then a meta filter Lake Chapala, climate, etc. Sorry not one hit. The best climate for humans is thought to be Mt Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, because it is so massive, all regions, from the foothills and up, are subject to climate change. A hunter gatherer tribe could simply follow their climate of choice. Only a few isolated tribes inhabit this stretch.

One area, not often mentioned, is the Haida Gwaii region of Northwest B.C. This is a rainforest, but not a tropical one, incredible majesty of nature. The Haida have a fascinating history and culture. They once ruled the Pacific Coast, all the way down to San Franciso. I have two nephews living up there now, they run a fishing charter.

http://www.hellobc.com/haida-gwaii-queen-charlotte-islands.aspx

I heard the same story before long before we moved here in 2003. At that time the claim to first place was somewhere in and around Nairobi Kenya. I was in Nairobi and then throughout Kenya on a safari and while the climate was comfortable, it was nothing like here. In addition, expats living in Nairobi needed private security guards to keep them out of harms way. They truly live in fear.

This year's country with the "best" climate is in Costa Rica, at least according to InterNations, an international expat community. Mexico comes in 9th place behind Greece, Malta, Kenya and... Uganda. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/malte-zeeck/top-10-countries-with-the_b_11328900.html

It seems that the old favorites Boquete Panama and Cuenca Ecuador  didn't make this year's cut.

Any "best" list is fickle at least and most likely biased by the author of the article.

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2016 at 11:31 AM, barcelonaman said:

No theres not. I lived there thirty years.

" Ironically, there are a couple of places in Scotland and Wales that are amazingly endowed with wonderful climate. "

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/welsh-beach-been-named-one-12430466#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Some of best weather in Mexico and the world is the City of Eternal Spring, Cuernavaca. https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ICUERNAV3

4 hours ago, bonbon said:

If you compare the temperature chart of Cuernavaca and Chapala, it's almost the same with a few degrees more or less.

This morning Cuernavaca was 16C and lakeside ~ 10C. It never gets as cold in Cuernavaca. To me 6C is quite a difference. I have yet to find a source of heat in Cuernavaca homes and I have been there hundreds of times.

40 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I don't consider 16 degrees C. to be a perfect climate, or springlike. Far too cold for me. To each his own.

LOL then you must really dislike the weather at lakeside where it gets to 8C. Maybe you never experienced spring. :-)

I guess opinions vary.  I was talking to someone in Cleveland today and it was in the teens and she said she liked the winter.  

I like watching it snow.  I can sit and watch it on TV all day long...........

I was living in Albuquerque 10 years ago and it snowed 28" and no one seemed to notice.  I looked at that and got on the web and found this place.  If it ever snows 28" here, I'm outta here also

When they mention the best temperature they mean the average temperature, also taking into account rain and humidity. I don't know of one PERFECT place (12 months a year) that would satisfy everybody's own body thermostat.:D

It is true that Chapala has two months of colder temperature (mostly at night) where we have to wear warmer clothes (no boots and gloves though--not for me anyway) and hotter in the spring BUT, as an average, it is not so drastic as northern or southern countries. Most of us know what that means.

I lived in Canada and in the Caribbeans for many years. So, to me, Chapala is the best of the two worlds.  "Perfect temperature" at least 9 months of the year. I would personally consider 10 months as the warmer spring does not bother me , , , but that's only me--not most people. So 9 months is pretty good.

Archived