Chapala.com Webboard

New By-Pass Around Guadalajara

koshiboy

It seems the new Macrolibramiento has opened between the Chapala-Guadalajara highway and the Guadalajara-Mexico City highway. I hope to use this when driving back to the USA next month. This is a four-lane divided highway, and with a reported toll of 44 pesos for cars. It should be much better than driving into Guadalajara, or bypassing Guadalajara using the by-pass that connects with the Chapala-Guadalajara highway just north of GDL airport.

Has anyone used this highway yet? Returning to Chapala using this road will probably require driving toward Guadalajara for about a mile to use the turnaround, just as you must use the turnaround north of the airport when returning to Chapala on the existing by-pass.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/guadalajara/48591-macrolibramiento-opens-with-44-peso-charge-for-cars

http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2016/674457/6/abren-primeros-25-km-del-macrolibramiento.htm

It is open and exactly as you described.  Coming this way you will have to travel north through the La Barca split to the first retorno to get pointed south towards Chapala.

Going north this is not only a lot faster than taking the Periferico around to the Mexico exit and then paying the toll of like 55 pesos, it is cheaper at only 44 pesos.  And the Periferico is a miserable rough road with speed traps.

This will probably knock another 10 to 15 minutes off the trip north.

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Going north this is not only a lot faster than taking the Periferico around to the Mexico exit and then paying the toll of like 55 pesos, it is cheaper at only 44 pesos.  And the Periferico is a miserable rough road with speed traps.

There are some changes in the first and second toll booth to Mexico in the first one you no longer pay toll, at the second one to Mexico city you now pay about 191$ if I remember correct. So to the direction of Mexico City you will still pay the same plus those 44$. To Zapotlanejo however I'm not sure if there are some changes.

9 minutes ago, ednet94 said:

There are some changes in the first and second toll booth to Mexico in the first one you no longer pay toll, at the second one to Mexico city you now pay about 191$ if I remember correct. So to the direction of Mexico City you will still pay the same plus those 44$. To Zapotlanejo however I'm not sure if there are some changes.

This was just a few days after the Libramiento opened. However looking now on the website of the highways it still show the old tariffs. So or they changed it back to how it was in which case you won't pay those 55$ to Mexico city or the website isn't updated yet.

Hasn't been that long since I went through there and there were three tolls on the Mex 80 toll road out of GDL.  If you take the free road over to Zapotlanejo you miss the first one, if you take the Periferico around to the Mexico exit and join the toll road there, you pay the 55 peso toll for a relatively short stretch of road.

The new road joins Mex 80 at the same place we used to exit to take the free road over to the Periferico and then the Periferico over to the airport.  Interestingly, they've actually constructed it like an extension of Mex 80 rather than an exit from it.  I think they intend once the entire road is finished that this is a direct bypass to the entire GDL metro area.

You can see this is a straight through intersection very clearly using Google Earth.

The second toll booth was 191, no change there.

Now you can take the new road, save 10 pesos and get to Zapotlanejo and Mex 80 a whole lot faster.

• 6 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎16 at 4:47 PM, koshiboy said:

It seems the new Macrolibramiento has opened between the Chapala-Guadalajara highway and the Guadalajara-Mexico City highway. I hope to use this when driving back to the USA next month. This is a four-lane divided highway, and with a reported toll of 44 pesos for cars. It should be much better than driving into Guadalajara, or bypassing Guadalajara using the by-pass that connects with the Chapala-Guadalajara highway just north of GDL airport.

Has anyone used this highway yet? Returning to Chapala using this road will probably require driving toward Guadalajara for about a mile to use the turnaround, just as you must use the turnaround north of the airport when returning to Chapala on the existing by-pass.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/guadalajara/48591-macrolibramiento-opens-with-44-peso-charge-for-cars

http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2016/674457/6/abren-primeros-25-km-del-macrolibramiento.htm

We were on that Highway 2 weeks ago but it was on a tour bus.Do you know if there is a map of bypass? It was finished going east but not sure of cut off to head toward San Luis Potsi?

Are you saying that the road now connects directly with Mexico 80D towards Lagos de Moreno with no diversion to Mexico 15D?  That would require the new flyover for 80D out of GDL would be complete.  That would be excellent!

The intersection of the new road with Chapala highway is showing no indication when viewed from the latter that there will be a way to get on it heading north from Chapala highway.  I sure hope this isn't the case permanently as we hope to use it to go to Costco on Lopez Mateos when fully open.  But still a lot of work going on.

Unfortunately none of which includes Chapala Highway in the vicinity of the crossing which has gotten just downright ugly in the last year.

Reading these responses leaves me a little confused. When we frequently head home to Canada, we that the highway just past the Airport towards Lagos de Moreno etc. Does this new section of highway allow you o avoid that stretch and if so, is there good signage?

The Macro Libramiento to 80D interchange at Zapotlenejo is still not complete (as of Monday when I drove it heading north).  You still have to exit onto 15D for a short distance then take the off ramp to get onto 80D East.

Construction on  that short stretch heading west off the Chapala Highway interchange is moving rapidly. At the rate it won't take long to complete the little section over the farm that connects to the completed highway on the other side,

The I-beams were installed over the road at Compostela in the last couple of months and there are actually workmen present. There's a little detour set up to drive around what will be the bridge at that interchange.

Be aware they are going to charge you two tolls, one on the new bypass and one on the detour, adding up to about 110 pesos.  At least they did when we used this road.  Once the end is opened I would expect the double tolling to end.  The actual toll for that stretch of road is supposed to be a bit less than 50 pesos.

One friend coming this way told the first toll booth, the one on 15D, they were going to Chapala and they didn't charge the extra toll.  However I've only heard of this happening once.

If you use the previous route, the road from just past the airport exit, you are going to get nicked anyway for the first toll on 80D, which I recall as something around 60 pesos so using the new road has a net cost of 50 pesos anyway and it is a lot faster and shorter.

4 hours ago, Cielo said:

So if coming to Lake Chapala from Lagos de Moreno, you get on 80 and then where do you exit for the macrolib? Is it well marked, have not been that way for two years.

Until the last bit is opened you are directed towards GDL on Ruta 80.  Immediately before that last toll booth there are some temporary signs on the right that direct you to exit to the right.  This puts you on Cuota 15 headed towards Mexico and Morelia for a very short distance to where it intersects with the new road.  You do have to really pay close attention because right after that first toll, which people are saying you have waived by declaring you are going to Chapala, you need to exit to the right again.  I wouldn't want to attempt this in the dark but it was pretty easy to follow for us last October when still light.

I would think they would finish the intersection pretty soon at which time you would just continue straight on to enter the Macrolibremiento from Cuota 80.  You can look at that intersection using Google Earth and it is pretty apparent that is the way it will work.

Just went by the end here on Chapala highway and still can't see how we'll be able to get on it headed north, though.  There are no signs of any ramps being constructed on the north side of Chapala highway.  ??

Went to Zamora today and saw where new highway meets, it meets the road to Morelia on this side of the Ocotlan / Tototlan toll booth very close to the GDL / Lagos de Moreno toll road

Yes, until the construction at Cuota 80 is finished, that is where it meets.  However you can see what the final junction will look like from Google Earth.  Coming south on Cuota 80 you will go straight onto the Macrolibremiento unless you chose to exit right towards GDL.

Screenshot (48).png

Note the white strip coming up from the south center left in this picture is the northern end of the new Macrolibremiento. 

Last summer I took the (now) older bypass, just past the airport, and had no connection problems to get to Lagos and beyond. Are you saying this one is ready to go NOW?

I came back from the north yesterday and was still charged two tolls.  Waved through at the one on the off ramp from 80D onto 15D but still had to pay at both the one on 15D AND the top of the new Macro Libramiento.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove it today. The road was partially blocked just past the toll booth so not sure if it connects to the Lagos Cuota. One can always go back towards Guadalajara on the Morelia Cuota and exit on the Lagos Cuota a couple miles away. Two tolls. 

Archived