Chapala.com Webboard

New tope in the village to watch out for..

suegarn

There is plenty of parking down by the pier.  The residents should be supported in having access to their own front doors.  None of this has to do with the topes which were put there by SIMAPA in an attempt to divert some of the water that runs down the hill and floods that block because it is low.

It is no farther to walk to "the merchants" from all the parking around the pier than it is from that block.

And as if something will be done? We live in an area where the presidente figures it's perfectly alright to let some lady sit and force a parking fee on us for the area in front of the old Pasada. Illegal and tourist-unfriendly, and yet completely sanctioned.

That is just some water in the road, far from being a lake. I drove through San Antonio today and the water there was unbelievable. I remember when Paseo de la Pesca in La Floresta was water sidewalk to sidewalk and nothing but an SUV could drive there and that was taking a chance.

On 8/14/2016 at 7:53 AM, Al Berca said:

Kudos to Hiker for actually taking action and getting promising results, rather than just posting and complaining.

4 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Yes...and I'm happy to report that the topes are now lower than before!  So there are times when the squeaky wheel DOES get some grease!  :)

Actually, it appears that CanuckBob from TOB is the one who actually did all the right steps to get this repaired.  I think he deserves the credit.

Re: New tope in the village to watch out for

by CanuckBob Yesterday at 4:09 pm

I went up to the plaza and spoke with Raphael and Chuni. They had obviously already heard about the problems with the topes. I showed them the pictures of how they were totally ineffective in stopping any water from pooling on the street after even a minor rain. They smiled, nodded and made a comment about Simapa. I suggested they jack hammer those topes into small pieces and then use those pieces to fill the ruts and potholes that are actually causing the problem. They laughed and said good idea. Whether they are going to do anything.....who knows however I have since been told that to get any action we need to contact Gloria Perales (gringo rep) at peralesgloriapg1.gp (at) gmail.com. For those of you concerned please send her a message.

CanuckBob

Humble Administrator

Here is the letter I sent Gloria (I have edited some of my personal info out of this post):

Hola Gloria, my name is Bob (deleted). I own the (deleted) in Ajijic and I also own the Inside Lakeside web forum. My place is located (deleted) of the new topes installed on Nicolas Bravo and Miguel Blanco. I understand these were installed by Simapa to redirect water from pooling on Septiembre in between these two streets. As I am sure you are aware these topes are too high and are causing damage to smaller vehicles that try to pass over them. More importantly these topes are totally ineffective in solving any water problem. I have attached 3 pictures that were taken after yesterday’s minor rainfall and as you can see the water is still pooling on that block of Septiembre and in fact the topes are causing it to pool even more. The only effective solution is to remove those topes, then fix the ruts and potholes in that section of street which are holding the rainwater and causing the problem. I met with Rafael and Chuni today and showed them the pictures and offered them the solution. I was later told to contact you. If you require any further action from me please let me know.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks rvan but it really isn't a lot of effort. Just learning the process to file a complaint is worth it. Apparently verbally complaining to the Delegado (or anyone) is useless. Gloria told me that to get any action a complaint must be in writing and presented to the mayors office in Chapala. It will be stamped and returned to Gloria. She will then present the letter to the head of the local Simapa office and demand a resolution. I guess we will find out how effective this is.

Bob also later posted that he found out the letter needs to be in Spanish. He asked if anyone could translate it for him since his Spanish was not up to it. Later he thanked Harry B. for translating for him. So thanks to Harry for helping out. It really does take a village!

Funny part is I walked  down september 16th during the heavy rainstorm yesterday and both topes were funneling water in an appropriate manner.  It was quite interesting to watch all the water be moved.  The Topes are not about the puddles in the pictures  but getting the water to go to certain directions.  When I saw them in action it was working.  They are just too high. Watched a jaquar smoosh on it yesterday and it sounded like an expensive noise.  So they don't do anything for the pooling problem as others have said but they do move the huge steams of water around.  So they are not as stupid as we thought they were to be fair. You really have to see them in action to understand the purpose.  I use to live in the pink house with the black poles and chain in the pictures.  I don't miss the parking problems especially when LCS is running full.  

Two points:

When the tope on Nicholas Bravo was being put in a thin gringa with white shoulder length hair and I believe black glasses was supervising. I call that involved, no?

The parking lot in front of the Old Posada was a weekend place for drinking, wheelies, loud music and sex before that little old lady was put in place. I believe that her position was authorized by the federal lease holder and is therefore legal. I think we could use a few more little old ladies like her around town. LCS members had an exception card and Old Posada patrons were also exempt. This fee was meant to target tourists in order that they pay for our security. She is a highly respected member of the mexican community. Give her extra if you have the chance!

Archived