Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security change of address

gwynne

I know others have run into this.....I can't be the only one.

My US address has changed.  I have done all the banking etc. changes online.  Now it's time to tackle the government stuff.  

Well....it seems that to make any changes to my SS account, I HAVE to have a US cell phone.  Every time I want to even LOOK at my account, I have to receive a special code sent to my cell and enter that. OK....so I gave them my sister's number.  Nice try!  You have 10 minutes from the request until it times out.  She didn't get the text in time to call me back with the number.

All I want to do is change my mailing address.  (Insert whine of frustration here.)

Advice appreciated.

24 minutes ago, gwynne said:

I know others have run into this.....I can't be the only one.

My US address has changed.  I have done all the banking etc. changes online.  Now it's time to tackle the government stuff.  

Well....it seems that to make any changes to my SS account, I HAVE to have a US cell phone.  Every time I want to even LOOK at my account, I have to receive a special code sent to my cell and enter that. OK....so I gave them my sister's number.  Nice try!  You have 10 minutes from the request until it times out.  She didn't get the text in time to call me back with the number.

All I want to do is change my mailing address.  (Insert whine of frustration here.)

Advice appreciated.

I have a MagicJack with a US # for all of that stuff here in Mexico and it works well. I need to do the same with my US bank everytime I do a US to US bank transfer to pay for something. The automated banking system calls me with a code and I put it in on-line and the transfer goes through. I don´t know what I would do without it. I call businesses, relatives and friends alot in the US and they call me on the MJ almost every week some of them.

Do you have GMAIL? If so, give your sister the information to log into your gmail account, have her request a USA based telephone number, this will allow texting. Sign into your account, and check your in box

If you do not have a gmail account, have her sign up for one, they are free.

You can ONLY sign up for the phone number from the USA, possibly from a VPN.

I got a notice of that and just laughed my butt off.  I have a "smart phone", makes a nice lighted clock.

I keep it cut off most of the time.  If I can find it, I take it when I leave the house.  That is, if I can remember where I left it last.

I accidentally left it on one day and it rang.  I answered "You have the wrong number"  Some guy said "How do you know?"  I said "No one knows this number, not even me and I own this thing".  He hung up.

Even if they sent me a text, it would take me more than 10 minutes to find it.

Well, as of early this week they've changed it.....somewhat.

Thanks to the loan of a friend's Tmobile, I was able to set up the online accounts.  The set-up required text codes.  The set-up had to be done using the old address.  Then, once set-up, I could go in and change the address AND opt out of the text requirement.

Gotta love government efficiency.

We used our daughter's cell phone in the U.S. and it took two tries last week, but the text did come in time and she e-mailed it to me and it worked fine.  Today, I just signed in and no text was required.  We didn't need  to opt out of the text requirement.  It simply isn't required anymore.  Hope they keep it that way.....

On 8/17/2016 at 8:14 PM, blondiegal said:

Perhaps the US Consulate Federal Benefit Unit in Guadalajara could do it for you, it's worth a try.  

Telephone : (333) 268-0800: Mon – Fri from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm

E-mail : FBU.Guadalajara@ssa.gov

The consulate can do everything and they are fast, friendly, professional and efficient.  If you are in Mexico you are supposed to call the consulate, not the U.S.

Archived