Chapala.com Webboard

Just Chillin

mhopkins2

Four of us went to Just Chillin's opening this evening at 5:30.  It was so good to see our young friends again.  Yes it was crowded and noisy.  So much so we decided to eat dinner elsewhere.  That's not a negative as it was great to see so many fans of the Chillin family.  But if you're looking for a quiet atmosphere for dinner, better to wait until they open their other location.  It's still a fun place to meet friends there for a 2x1 drink and of course a hug. 

14 hours ago, mhopkins2 said:

Four of us went to Just Chillin's opening this evening at 5:30.  It was so good to see our young friends again.  Yes it was crowded and noisy.  So much so we decided to eat dinner elsewhere.  That's not a negative as it was great to see so many fans of the Chillin family.  But if you're looking for a quiet atmosphere for dinner, better to wait until they open their other location.  It's still a fun place to meet friends there for a 2x1 drink and of course a hug. 

We drove by on our way home yesterday:  already packed around 3 p.m.  Those folks have FANS!!!

In case you can't see an address in the previous post, it is on the southwest corner of 16 de septiembre and Donato Guerra in southeastern Ajijic. That's a half block south of the Restaurant 4 or a half block north of La Nueva Posada Hotel and restaurant or a block and a half west of La Bodega Restaurant.

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

So do they have regular tables and chairs..when driving by all I see are high tables and stool type chairs?

That's what was there when it was Olé Olá. And that's what is still there now. I'm not very tall and I didn't have trouble being able to sit on them, but YMMV. 

This will probably get me tarred and feathered but...

Well we went this evening and half the neighborhood was there.  Love the folks and the camaraderie.  However, as for the rest wasn't impressed much.  Decent, undistinguished hamburger.  "Two for one" Margueritas was basically taking one regular size marguerita and putting it in two glasses and charging you 65 pesos.  Truthfully, could have had a real meal for the price we spent there for a burger, some shish kabobs and a couple drinks.

Very nice youngsters.  Great marketers.  Better places in town to eat out for the money.

Mainecoons, your experience reflects what several people I know said after going. Even one woman in the group who is a diehard fan said she doesn't go there for the food. I went to Just Chillin in its old location and had overpriced tacos that were just so-so. The margarita was very good but not good enough to make me want to go back there. I agree completely with your last paragraph. 

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Well we went this evening and half the neighborhood was there.  Love the folks and the camaraderie.  However, as for the rest wasn't impressed much.  Decent, undistinguished hamburger.  "Two for one" Margueritas was basically taking one regular size marguerita and putting it in two glasses and charging you 65 pesos.  Truthfully, could have had a real meal for the price we spent there for a burger, some shish kabobs and a couple drinks.

Mm... I just think you went to another place because the people who have had gone to our place knows that our Traditional Margarita WE ARE NOT PUTTING IT IN TWO GLASSES, we put it in ONE TALL AND FULL GLASS.,how we know? Because it's our best seller. And if you really went, we are happy that you visit our place and received your hug.

Hey Xena, the best thing in this life is to take a risk and try the things. So, we invite you to come and try it so you can have your own experience and criterion. ?

Just Chillin', just a hint: it is not the best business policy to suggest a poster is lying about having been to your restaurant. Mainecoons offered his opinion.  It might be different from what you are accustomed to hearing but it would be better to handle it in some way other than suggesting he is a liar.

As for me, I did have my own experience in your previous location. It was enough for me.

Sandi and I went to Chillin's the other day and were underwhelmed! We both had burgers and Margaritas. The burgers were less than so-so and were over cooked. The Margaritas were good. We think the place is more for drinkers and less for "foodies"!

We just got home from Cydney's and we still think her burger is the best! She's added another table and doubled the size of her kitchen. ABSOLUTELY DELISCIOUS!!!!!!

Nope, sorry.  We ordered your "two for one" happy hour special on Margueritas and got two half glasses, not two full ones.  In fact, mine wasn't even half full.  Take away the ice and it amounted to a couple of shot glasses of actual drink.

Now I know that "two for one" means one drink in two glasses. :D

Not impressed.

I'm a little older than you guys and have a lot more experience.  I know when the glass is half full.  Or less. :)

My advice to you is to do just a few food items in that small location and do them really well.  And use smaller glasses and fill them.

29 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Nope, sorry.  We ordered your "two for one" happy hour special on Margueritas and got two half glasses, not two full ones.  In fact, mine wasn't even half full.  Take away the ice and it amounted to a couple of shot glasses of actual drink.

Now I know that "two for one" means one drink in two glasses. :D

Not impressed.

I'm a little older than you guys and have a lot more experience.  I know when the glass is half full.  Or less. :)

My advice to you is to do just a few food items in that small location and do them really well.  And use smaller glasses and fill them.

ahhh!!! yes!!! Andy's husband? we know you as moderator 2 and mainecoons yes you came in a blue shirt!!! you asked for a margarita split in 2 glases but your wife loved it she asked for another margarita and you s corona!!???but please we ask for the people that when you leave instead of telling us that the burger was excellent please tell us your true experience and we can improve ??

I didn't ask for a margarita split in two glasses.  No idea where that came from.  Breakdown in communication.  I didn't even place the order.

Probably the best thing you can do about burgers is go to several of the places that get high reviews on this board and sample what they are serving.

Heidi and I had 2 restaurants here that did very well. We learned, early on, that "the customer is always right" is almost correct. It should be "the customer's perception is always right"! A word of wisdom if the coffee burns your lips and your client says it's not hot enough, it's NOT hot enough. Don't argue, get another cup!

I have to say that i never did understand the popularity of this place.  Went once to their old location and that was more than enough for me.  It's the kind of food you through together for a late night snack from whatever you may have around the house.  Me personally. when I go out to eat it's for something that I either can't or is more elaborate than I feel like making at home. 

48 minutes ago, nomames said:

I have to say that i never did understand the popularity of this place.  Went once to their old location and that was more than enough for me.  It's the kind of food you through together for a late night snack from whatever you may have around the house.  Me personally. when I go out to eat it's for something that I either can't or is more elaborate than I feel like making at home. 

We choose places to go out for different reasons: some for the food; some for the ambiance; some for the fun.  It's unusual to find everything in one place.  I don't think the appeal of Chillin' is about the food.  I ate at the old location and it was okay, but I wouldn't go again for the food.  Its popularity is based more on the fun; the friendly owners and the general atmosphere.  So.........when they have a larger place with the music, the dancing, etc., it would be a "fun" experience, with or without a serious dinner.  Pass the beer and guacamole!:P

I also never understood the allure.  However, if I had never been in the old place and was reading the present reviews I would not try it as arguing with a customer on line and then continuing the argument when the customer responds would be a major turnoff.

I guess they have enough of a following they feel they can do no wrong and don't need to appease a dissatisfied customer or attract a new one.

36 minutes ago, Shira said:

I also never understood the allure.  However, if I had never been in the old place and was reading the present reviews I would not try it as arguing with a customer on line and then continuing the argument when the customer responds would be a major turnoff.

I guess they have enough of a following they feel they can do no wrong and don't need to appease a dissatisfied customer or attract a new one.

The poster who said the customer's perception is always right and should be dealt with as such, knows what he's talking about.  Nothing is more counter productive than a retaurant owner argueing with a customer about who's right.  The end result is almost inevitable:  customer gone for good.

I went to Just Chillin' a few days ago, and ordered the 2 x 1 Tamarindo Margaritas.  There were DEFINITELY two full margaritas, served in mason jar glasses.  I was shocked that they could offer that much for such a low price (65 pesos, or $3.50 USD)  Even if you felt you only received the equivalent of one poured into two glasses, it's still a very reasonable price for a margarita.  I'm not sure why some people expect them to lose money on their food and drinks.  

2 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Those of you who "never understood the allure" of Just Chillin' should be reviewing other restaurants and not the Kids new place that you have not (and likely will not) visited.  Hoards of people loved Just Chillin' and are happy they returned to our little village.

The purpose of La Cocina is for people to talk about local restaurants, offer reviews and opinions so others may know more about it both good and bad. It is not a place for fans only to hype up their favorite places. If I was a newcomer and read this thread I would not have high expectations for the food. I would expect good drinks and a noisy, happy environment. I would know the place had a quite loyal band of followers who do not want to hear anything negative about "The Kids" or the restaurant. If I was looking for some fun and a drink with something to nosh on I would head over to try it. If I wanted a really good meal and to have some quiet conversation I would make a different choice. That is what makes threads like this useful.

Archived